A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Disney scrapping plans to move jobs from California to Florida is surely going to hurt Florida than help it. I would imagine in a few years they'll probably revisit it. 

They're obviously waiting until DeSatan is no longer governor since he won't able to run again in 2026 (don't tell him that, he probably thinks otherwise).

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 4:50 PM, Porthos said:

There's also film preservation and historical importance, which I know from prior discussions you care about quite a bit. While the "Big Boys and Gals" of the current age will probably (and I do mean probably) always be available, the lesser tier stuff?  Maybe not as much.  Some may scoff at the following statement, but even shows like Big Shot or Game Changers provide a window into what made US Entertainment tick in this time-period.  Never mind more controversial fare (or for that matter things which are seen by many to be inconsequential now, only to age badly). 

When things are streaming only, entertainment can be yanked or changed at a whim.  If I have a copy of a movie or TV show locally it doesn't matter what changes or availability are made, I still have access to the originals.  Having shows outside of the control of Big Corp just provides a safety valve against the whims of a future era.

Not that as a SW fan I would have first hand experience about this particular subject.

*cough* :ph34r:

Any who, not a fan of this.  Not one little bit.

======

Haven't even gotten to the Picture Quality/Sound Quality angle yet, as while 2k/4k streams are getting better, they can still be compressed and not as good as the content one gets on physical media.  I know for a fact that @Cap has had to suffer through more than one program where she could barely see a scene thanks in part to too much compression of a rainy, murky, hard to see battle scene (yes, that IS on the cinematographers mostly, but compression of the stream can make a bad situation worse).

It's not like some of us didn't see this coming a mile away... :(

(h/t to Eric for highlighting out the post over in the D+ thread)

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I keep forgetting that the Willow show was actually a thing that happened. Ditto the also cancelled National Treasure series.

Meanwhile:

...is anyone really surprised this is shutting down 18 months after opening? It was a cool idea on paper, but asking folks that pay that amount of money for a two-night stay where you couldn't see outside the hotel room (or have a pool to go to) was bound to not last very long, especially when so many folks were still financially struggling from the pandemic, unless Disney had intended this to be a resort only for the rich and famous who could afford it (which I doubt they did). Even the most dedicated Star Wars stans seemed to respond to this with "love does have limits."

Chapek was an absolute moron.  It’s amazing that people with zero talent can rise to those heights.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

They're obviously waiting until DeSatan is no longer governor since he won't able to run again in 2026 (don't tell him that, he probably thinks otherwise).

He’s already had republicans rewrite our constitution here in Florida twice. Won’t be shocked if he does that again to extend the amount of times governors can run.

They literally just rewrote the constitution to allow him to remain governor while running for president which the Florida constitution said is against the law. 

Edited by joselowe

31 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

Chapek was an absolute moron.  It’s amazing that people with zero talent can rise to those heights.

Chapek was by all accounts a formidable operations performer who was cold and results driven. Bizarre that Iger and the board misread a strong behind-the-scenes person as having the capability of being the face of a giant media corporation. Chapek was no doubt a giant part of their success during Iger's run and supposedly had Igers full confidence going into 2020 but it was a terrible match at the core. 

Edited by excel1

16 minutes ago, joselowe said:

He’s already had republicans rewrite our constitution here in Florida twice. Won’t be shocked if he does that again to extend the amount of times governors can run.

They literally just rewrote the constitution to allow him to remain governor while running for president which the Florida constitution said is against the law. 

If the goal is to make him so overworked that it zaps him completely of his hateful and obnoxious energy and forces him to throw in the towel...hey, I couldn't complain. Fool doesn't realize that Disney pulling their campus plans here is going to hurt his wallet (aka where it really counts) as much as it will the state.

This wannabe dictator already seems bound and determined to win this Disney feud (knowing Trump, somehow still the frontrunner for the nomination even with his ever growing baggage, will rub it in his face during the primaries) even if it ends him. To Disney (and everyone with common sense), that sounds like the ultimate "don't threaten me with a good time."

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 3:15 PM, PlatnumRoyce said:

Why? It's the rare situation where the mechanism is conceptually plausible. It got a month of A-1 news coverage a year ago, literally is a cornerstone of a major presidential candidate's campaign and is something Disney's actively continuing to litigate. This isn't "can youtube anger translate to real world backlash" conceptual idea. It's literally just presidential primary campaign politics. 

I think it's pretty self-evident there's enough conceptual kindling to treat as a serious hypothesis. Is that what the data actually says? Feels like this is something someone should have tried to argue more directly given amount of attention its received. 

When I looked for anything a while ago, I found some declines for Disney in corporate reputation over last couple of years in a big, longstanding Axios sponsored poll though decline wasn't super crazy change. 

https://www.axios.com/2023/05/23/corporate-brands-reputation-america

Re-upping this because the 2023 version of Harris-Axios corporate reputation poll dropped. Even if you don't buy this debatable culture war hypothesis (this week's streaming content kerfuffle is a great illustration of other newsworthy things impacting Disney's public rep), this change really is notable. Pre-Pandemic, Disney was rated 10th in character at 77.7% (5th overall) and now they're in 77th place and they're between 77th and 81st place in character, culture, ethics and citizenship instead of 9th-13th 
https://www.axios.com/2019/03/06/axios-harris-poll-corporate-reputations

These are genuinely bad numbers and trends from how they've been ranked on these lists since at least 2010. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 6:36 PM, joselowe said:

If you live in Florida, time to move out or get a gun.

On 5/18/2023 at 6:43 PM, excel1 said:

Chapek was by all accounts a formidable operations performer who was cold and results driven. Bizarre that Iger and the board misread a strong behind-the-scenes person as having the capability of being the face of a giant media corporation. Chapek was no doubt a giant part of their success during Iger's run and supposedly had Igers full confidence going into 2020 but it was a terrible match at the core. 

Chapek got promoted abobe his level of competence, as the saying goes. 

He was good as an pure adminstraor, but was lousy dealing with the talent and had a crappy public personality. The latter might not be important for most studio heads, but it is for Disney. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Chapek got promoted abobe his level of competence, as the saying goes. 

He was good as an pure adminstraor, but was lousy dealing with the talent and had a crappy public personality. The latter might not be important for most studio heads, but it is for Disney. 

The latter is what especially sank him.

• Like 1

"Project Hulk" - looks like Hulu will be added to Disney+ as a tile. Fun fact: if you have an Apple TV, Hulu, and a Disney+ that gets STAR, and watch American Dad or New Girl on Disney+, Hulu will register your position and they'll be added to your Hulu "Continue Watching" - so they've been experimenting with integration for a while.

Even without a deal, Iger is already taking steps to integrate Hulu with a plan to fold its content into Disney+ in the U.S. by the end of the year—by adding a Hulu “tile”—while maintaining a stand-alone Hulu app. The initiative was known within Disney as “Project Hulk,” and has been under way for more than a year, but came as a surprise to top Comcast executives, people familiar with the situation said.

Common reports state Disney want to pay Comcast a tad bit more than $9bn for Hulu. But Comcast want $21bn!!!

Comcast’s sale of its stake is more likely. In 2021, when all of the major streaming services were still seeing huge subscriber growth, NBCUniversal executives pegged Hulu’s valuation at north of $70 billion, people close to the company said. Disney’s valuation has been tens of billions of dollars lower, they said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/inside-disney-and-comcasts-fight-over-the-future-of-hulu-96a7aae6?mod=djemalertNEWS

Edited by AJG

Because of DeSantis’s ongoing feud with Disney World, Tyson also polled the popularity of the entertainment behemoth with early state Republicans and found the company is deeply unpopular. Only 15 percdent of Iowa Republicans had a favorable impression of Disney compared to 59 percent who had an unfavorable view, giving the company a net negative rating of -44 percent. It’s -35 percent in New Hampshire; -26 percent in South Carolina and -45 percent in Nevada.

These are basically Ron DeSantis' campaign numbers (so take them with a massive grain of salt) but I just don't see how these numbers suggest Disney's winning anything relative to a baseline where Chapek wasn't backed into explicitly advocating for culture war related policies in the state of Florida. 

https://themessenger.com/politics/inside-the-secret-desantis-donor-briefing-exclusive

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

3 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

These are basically Ron DeSantis' campaign numbers (so take them with a massive grain of salt) but I just don't see how these numbers suggest Disney's winning anything relative to a baseline where Chapek wasn't backed into explicitly advocating for culture war related policies in the state of Florida. 

https://themessenger.com/politics/inside-the-secret-desantis-donor-briefing-exclusive

Disney isn't running for President so it doesn't matter really. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Disney isn't running for President so it doesn't matter really. 

I think some people just don't want to admit De Santis is not as smart as they thought he was.

I origininally thought he was Evil but Smart, now I think he is just Evil and not too bright.

I don't think anything satisfies Iger on the DeSantis front more than seeing other Republicans burying DeSantis on the issue. Nikki Haley openly soliciting Disney to move to SC is a hilarious slap in the face to Ron. Guy definitely thought he would look like a culture war champion but it has turned into something that even his own party is ostracizing him over. 

We'll see where his campaign goes but right now, The DeSantis Disney War looks like a future case study of political mishandling that has crushed his once strong momentum. 

Edited by excel1

56 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I don't think anything satisfies Iger on the DeSantis front more than seeing other Republicans burying DeSantis on the issue. Nikki Haley openly soliciting Disney to move to SC is a hilarious slap in the face to Ron. Guy definitely thought he would look like a culture war champion but it has turned into something that even his own party is ostracizing him over. 

We'll see where his campaign goes but right now, The DeSantis Disney War looks like a future case study of political mishandling that has crushed his once strong momentum. 

The total fiasco of his campaign opening did not help him much; did not do much for Musk either.

His disdain for using mainstream media is really stupid.

• Like 1