A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

TLJ was a problem  whether you want to admit it or not. Whiffing the TROS was also a gigantic problem since it means the entire sequel trilogy pretty much ended up a dud and leaves no one excited for any follow ups.  You also forgot Solo which was the first Star Wars bomb. Also when pretty much the same thing is happening with directors over and over again it doesn't look good no matter how you spin it

TLJ wasn't a problem. Nostalgia was. TFA did 2B because of nostalgia. TLJ wasn't going to repeat that. TLJ box office was also boosted by Luke Skywalker. Star Wars' actual box office strength is 1.2B max because the franchise isn't popular in Asian or Latin American countries except Japan. Spider-Man 4 will also face a TFA to TLJ-type box office drop, but no one will blame Amy Pascal for that.

Edited by Willowra
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, John Marston said:

TLJ was a problem  whether you want to admit it or not. Whiffing the TROS was also a gigantic problem since it means the entire sequel trilogy pretty much ended up a dud and leaves no one excited for any follow ups.  You also forgot Solo which was the first Star Wars bomb. Also when pretty much the same thing is happening with directors over and over again it doesn't look good no matter how you spin it

TLJ was not a problem, I'm sorry but that's just a ridiculous claim to make. Not to get into a giant TLJ argument but that's wrong.

Her biggest weakness is apparently directors. There's no way she didn't know what Lord/Miller, Trevorrow, Jenkins, etc had planned for their films. She made reactionary decisions that turned out to be mostly wrong. But again, she's greenlight some of the best SW stuff of all time. And everything right now has been moving in a very good direction.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

TLJ was not a problem, I'm sorry but that's just a ridiculous claim to make. Not to get into a giant TLJ argument but that's wrong.

Her biggest weakness is apparently directors. There's no way she didn't know what Lord/Miller, Trevorrow, Jenkins, etc had planned for their films. She made reactionary decisions that turned out to be mostly wrong. But again, she's greenlight some of the best SW stuff of all time. And everything right now has been moving in a very good direction.

nope not wrong. TLJ got a hugely divisive reception, dropped more than expected after opening weekend, and probably contributed to the Solo bombing and muting the hype for the grand finale 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, John Marston said:

nope not wrong. TLJ got a hugely divisive reception, dropped more than expected after opening weekend, and probably contributed to the Solo bombing and muting the hype for the grand finale 

It didn't help Solo, but it had very little to do with its failure.

10 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

My bet is they start fast tracking the X-Men and F4 movies, because their current characters are running on "fumes" according to what he's saying.

F4 is already on the fast track and has been for a while, it has a scheduled relase date....tbut, yeah, the X men will put up on the schedule....I suspect Wolverine in Deadpool 3 will be used to get this started.

News the new Directors for the Disney Special District in Florida are going to meet and they are going to try to  get rid of all Woke from Disney World..........

I hope Iger has the balls to fight them all the way.

What se see going on in Florida is pure fascism.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

News the new Directors for the Disney Special District in Florida are going to meet and they are going to try to  get rid of all Woke from Disney World..........

I hope Iger has the balls to fight them all the way.

What se see going on in Florida is pure fascism.

woke in disney world ? what r they gonna ban lgbtq people from disney world or reverse the decision on splash mountain ? i don't think that's within there power ! it's ust a stupid drama by ron to fool his supporters to showoff as a tough guy 

Edited by froztking
  • Like 2

Mind I always figured we'd eventually land on a laserdisc/vinyl model where physical media would be a boutique item catered to enthusiasts as opposed to the mass media model of DVD/BR's heyday.  Vinyl making multiple comebacks over the decades shows that an enthusiast model can work (for certain values of "work" at least). 

In a way, it'd be getting to physical media roots.  But instead of enthusiasts popping for laserdiscs and the hordes going for rentals, it'd be enthusiasts going for the premiere Blu-Rays/UHD and the mainstream shoppers sticking to streaming/cable.

Just a matter of studios deciding whether or not catering to the enthusiasts out there (i.e. folks like me) is worth it or not. 

Not counting any chickens yet, but comments like the above are a hopeful sign of it happening sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Disney's plan to licence content is already kicking in. This is a very big loss for Netflix and a very big get for Peacock and Hulu. New Girl was the 18th most popular show across all of streaming last year

• Like 1

15 hours ago, froztking said:

woke in disney world ? what r they gonna ban lgbtq people from disney world or reverse the decision on splash mountain ? i don't think that's within there power ! it's ust a stupid drama by ron to fool his supporters to showoff as a tough guy 

I agree, but that a Governor is even trying to attack free speech should set off alarm bells. That is a pretty big "Canary in the  Mine".