A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Disney corporate culture has always been to "grow their own" to promote from within the organization. That was the way that Walt ran it, and his sucessor followed that tactic. Problme was they were not Walt Disneys, and they brough Disney to the verge of bankruptcy before the decision was made to bring Eisner on board. That made huge headlines in the trades at the time because that was so contrary to  Disney policy.

Yeah and he turned out to be a good decision along with Frank Wells for many years...until it wasn't lol. Wells unfortunate passing didn't help matters at all and then we all know what the late 90s and early 2000s were giving us. But still he led them through a very huge period of growth that spawned a lot of stuff that's a staple of the company today. Outside blood can be great, but there have to be people who are willing and able unfortunately. 

16 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Speaking of CEOs and leadership, we got more Iger succession tea from Variety. Dana Walden reportedly still has the edge, though Josh D'Amaro is still a strong contender. Alan Bergman is also a potential dark horse. Oh the drama!

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/bob-iger-replacement-disney-ceo-search-1236150806/

The video essays on this saga in a couple years will fuel me through so many workdays I can tell you that 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I find it interesting that WDAS switched it's chief creative officer to someone who cannot draw (Jennifer Lee) to someone who cannot draw (Jared Bush)

I can't imagine the immense pressure that is put on the CCOs of both WDAS and Pixar. You have to find the right movies to greenlight to straightening the brand, and you pray you don't screw up.

But I personally never won't have greenlit Strange World, always looked too much like Atlantis and Treasure Planet in terms of success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wattage said:

I would recommend looking outside the company I think they badly need new blood in house but you're right in that who would actually want that position right now and who's also qualified. Did they even look? I don't know. I also don't have a name I can pull within Disney Animation for sure, anyone I would want to pull is over at Pixar and they have their own stuff to deal with right now. Which is why I'm annoyed but still crossing my fingers and toes that it works out. 

Yeah my knowledge of the animation industry is definitely not vast enough to really say who's out there that might be a good fit. Being a good director also doesn't necessarily mean you have the right set of skills to manage across multiple projects and navigate the corporate bureaucracy that I'm sure comes with this position. Lasseter, in my opinion, was a much better CCO than he was a director, for instance.

• Like 1

Yeah not too surprised and does again show WDAS is in alot more trouble than Pixar. Other than Byron Howard or adding the creative responsibilities to  Clark Spencer having Jared Bush take over was the only other option. There has been a bit of a talent drain in WDAS with many of the directors leaving (some to Skydance Animation with Lasseter ew).

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

As for Kennedy, she wasn’t at D23 this year and Filoni has already taken on a lead creative role there. I’m guessing they just let her retire at the end of her contract. Unfortunately, I just don’t think Filoni has the juice but we’ll see.