A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

51 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I don't see how they can proceed with the likes of Secret Wars if even Guardians 3 opens below $100M. I really don't. It'll be Josstice League all over again if it does. I know I've fleetingly brought up ending this saga early with Kang Dynasty and starting over with a soft reboot with the X-Men and Fantastic Four as an armchair analysis... But maybe that honestly might be the best course of action here. You don't have enough brand goodwill to pull off Secret Wars right now. That movie needs to be put off until audiences start seeing Marvel movies as events again after a decade or so of this proposed new direction. I also think they should go back to 2 movies per year and one Agents of SHIELD-style series airing yearly which more generally encompasses the entire Marvel universe.

Secret Wars isn't happening right now. They still have a good 4 years to fix things and 2 full sagas left (Secret Wars take place at the end of Phase 6)

Remember, Infinity war hype didn't really start to pick up until late phase 2 early phase 3

If I was running things at Marvel rn I’d be looking at top level talent for all the upcoming movies but particularly the next two Avengers movies. Make these movies feel like epics or large scale events again. Get people like Eric Roth or Michael Green to write the films and maybe ask Sam Raimi to come back for Secret Wars (only without the Michael Waldron baggage). If James Mangold wasn’t busy with Star Wars, he’d be great to do one of these. 

hell, why not go for broke and try to get someone like Peter Jackson for one of these movies. Obviously there’s a 99.99% chance that doesn’t happen but in the 0.01% they get someone on or around that level That’ll get people talking and interested. These dudes who made one good movie outta Sundance just aren’t cutting it anymore.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

26 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

If I was running things at Marvel rn I’d be looking at top level talent for all the upcoming movies but particularly the next two Avengers movies. Make these movies feel like epics or large scale events again. Get people like Eric Roth or Michael Green to write the films and maybe ask Sam Raimi to come back for Secret Wars (only without the Michael Waldron baggage). If James Mangold wasn’t busy with Star Wars, he’d be great to do one of these. 

hell, why not go for broke and try to get someone like Peter Jackson for one of these movies. Obviously there’s a 99.99% chance that doesn’t happen but in the 0.01% they get someone on or around that level That’ll get people talking and interested. These dudes who made one good movie outta Sundance just aren’t cutting it anymore.

Half the filmmakers of the Infinity Saga were not legendary filmmakers lol. (Russo Bros, James Gunn, Jon Watts, Joss Whedon, Taika, Coogler)

If anything with exception of Favreau, most of the "top talent" directors or the (as you put it) non-Sundance dudes like Branagh and Shane Black directed the some of the least regarded and acclaimed films of the saga. 

• Like 1

What "legendary" filmmaker would even want to make a movie for an interconnected universe? I doubt a guy like Peter Jackson would agree to do it unless he was given total creative control like Nolan got or Reeves is getting now

4 hours ago, superduperm said:

Honestly feels like the MCU ended with No Way Home for most people. End Game was the climax and No Way Home was the “may as well see the epilogue because it’s loaded with nostalgia” hoorah.

Barring a big swing in the next couple years, I’ll be surprised if Secret Wars is as big as End Game.

MCU ended with Endgame, NWH success had nothing to do with MCU, it was basically a celebration tour for Spider-Man Fans which is whole world, they went there to relieve the nostalgia and celebrate their favorite characters. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

Quantumania kinda feels like it killed all the hype around superhero movies. Its crazy how it feels so different after it.

It was Multiverse of Madness which basically started all this.

After Endgame, Marvel needed a break, which they got due to the pandemic so people actually missed Marvel, so that played in Marvel's hands with good hype for their Streaming series, it felt like a comeback.

Then came Multiverse of Madness, which basically killed whatever enthusiasm people had after pandemic and sent people's mind back to the point that Endgame was the end. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Half the filmmakers of the Infinity Saga were not legendary filmmakers lol. (Russo Bros, James Gunn, Jon Watts, Joss Whedon, Taika, Coogler)

If anything with exception of Favreau, most of the "top talent" directors or the (as you put it) non-Sundance dudes like Branagh and Shane Black directed the some of the least regarded and acclaimed films of the saga. 

I feel like Thor is sneakily underrated and Branagh basically did what he was hired to do. Pre-Avengers Marvel clearly wasn't "the MCU" and there are plenty of other big budget mythology and/or sword and sorcery films to compare it against. It did very well and Branagh allowed them to anchor the "Shakespearean" marketing push (even if the film is hardly great in execution). Thor 1 really is a vindication of how a name director can draw more attention and prestige as well as prime marketing for a superhero film even if it's not an A+ tentpole like SuperBat.

I don't think Whedon can be placed in either of the camps you've constructed. He was clearly a known "brand" at the time and a brand that fit with Avengers pitch even if that didn't position him as a "prestige director."   He's much more Shane Black than Russo Bros. 

35 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Get a multiverse versions of RDJ/CE back. May be get Wolverine/multiple spideys back and you will see all ticket sites crash on its opening day sales 🙂

Would Coogler consider directing an Avengers movie?

I still think this is fairly naive. The GA are not watching films to see toys smash against each other. Avengers had storey arcs for Iron Man, that's what kept audiences coming back.

Multiple Spidey's has been done, I think sequels would be successful but it's not repeating NWH numbers with a gimmick alone.

56 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Get a multiverse versions of RDJ/CE back. May be get Wolverine/multiple spideys back and you will see all ticket sites crash on its opening day sales 🙂

they should not bring back RDJ, and if they do it should be a one time event and a bit too early to waste it now

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

MCU Audience don't even know who the main protagonist of this saga is.

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Secret Wars isn't happening right now. They still have a good 4 years to fix things and 2 full sagas left (Secret Wars take place at the end of Phase 6)

Remember, Infinity war hype didn't really start to pick up until late phase 2 early phase 3

Fix what? How can Marvel fix Secret Wars? Cause ultimately there's nothing Marvel can do to change the fact that they got rid of the A tier characters and they are trying to make 2 Avengers movies centered around B/C tier characters that not many care about. This is the scary thing about the MCU, it is a train and there's no easy way to stop it or turn it away from the direction it is heading towards. 1 MCU bomb could mean a bunch of bombs are coming in the way and there's nothing you can do to stop them.

The smart thing for Disney and Marvel to do is to cancel the entire Secret Wars and accelerate their plans for the X-Men and Fantastic 4, but do they have the heart and will to accept the financial cost such a decision would have? Cause without drastic actions we could be seeing Kang Dynasty end up being a Justice League level bomb.

6 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Fix what? How can Marvel fix Secret Wars? Cause ultimately there's nothing Marvel can do to change the fact that they got rid of the A tier characters and they are trying to make 2 Avengers movies centered around B/C tier characters that not many care about. This is the scary thing about the MCU, it is a train and there's no easy way to stop it or turn it away from the direction it is heading towards. 1 MCU bomb could mean a bunch of bombs are coming in the way and there's nothing you can do to stop them.

The smart thing for Disney and Marvel to do is to cancel the entire Secret Wars and accelerate their plans for the X-Men and Fantastic 4, but do they have the heart and will to accept the financial cost such a decision would have? Cause without drastic actions we could be seeing Kang Dynasty end up being a Justice League level bomb.

If people are interested in the Avengers movies/the finale of this saga, they have to accept whoever you are calling B/C-tier characters. They won't get much options take it or leave it.

Edited by Willowra

I think it´s funny how people are acting like that A-list characters are gone is the reason MCU is going to shits atm. Lets ignore the complete downgrade of quality the last couple of two years. Iron Man and Captain America was not A-list characters. They became that after they got popular in the MCU. Marvel have plenty of A-list characters. The problem is their output has been way to much combined with horrendous quality. How to fix it? Make good movie again first and foremost. Guardians going under 100M, maybe someone over their at Disney will actually understand the damage that has been done. The quality of the Guardians movie is more important for the future of MCU than over/under 100M. Under 100M is embarrassing tho. Ant-Man really made some damage that may take years to fix, if even possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Disney really went from being Top G to only having Avatar in the span of 2 years.

What happens when you lean too much on a brand. Hollywood has done this for eternity. MCU will be sacrificed on the D+ alter.

I really think people under estimate how many people 'nope'd out when asked to watch so much content. Pre sales being low back up actual fans walking away rather than just the GA being off put.

with current status of marvel being uncertain nd star wars can't release a movie every year ! disney has to find new franchises ! personal opinion is 20 th century should provide at least 5 theatrical movies in different scales nd tie ups with EA or UBISOFT or acquire/merge  with them nd do game based franchises or books like black cauldron , alita battle angel  ! nd if guardians 3 fails then marvel have to go for a break for at least 5-10 yrs nd end the multiverse saga and kang stuff with most of the stuff in production r based on ground level/ earth nd individual stories ! main star wars movie series should rls once 2 or 3 yrs nd a spin off in the middle nd reduce the number of D+ shows ! too much visibility will destroy star wars !disney have to change like they did in past when they went into a dark phase !

When you hit the heights of something like Endgame, it’s hard to recreate the magic.

Also to double down after something like Endgame with half assed movies and tv shows, just contributed to the MCU “demise” narrative.

Can they recover? Maybe but they will never reach Endgame levels again.

One thing I would do is scrap this Kang stuff and start again, Quantumania killed all the hype for this saga or whatever they call it.

Give us DOCTOR DOOM!