A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

10 minutes ago, Willowra said:

So you're saying that POC females don't look beautiful and only white females look beautiful?

Now you're twisting my words, buddy. I never said that. My point is that Rachel Zegler in particular is not prettier than Gal Gadot, therefore missing the whole point of the story.

Anyway, looks like no one Is going to change their minds about this so I'm gonna stop here.

Edited by Boxx93

2 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Zegler has been the best part of every movie she's been in so far, and is a star in the making. What don't you "get"? She's an American from New Jersey...

Also the Queen being Gal Gadot makes sense because she's supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world, right? Like that's the whole point of the movie/story. Hasn't Gal been looked at in that way for 6+ years now?

Honestly just some of the dumbest discourse online is about "race swapping" or "gender swapping" characters. People need to get a life.

Star in the making seems a stretch IMO.  Disney has been trying to make her happen and so far nah.

Star in the making is more like Pugh,Zendaya,Anya Taylor joy ...

Gal Gadot is beautiful but year her acting is mid at best.

Don't personally think race swapping character is dumb discourse and I think more  discussion on this should be had.

Lately so we have had so many pointless race  swaps for just ticking boxes and 90% of these characters end up soulless and just forgettable.

As African grew up watching most of these movies and loved them for what they were and the characters were relatable and didn't need to see myself or my race in them and related to them as poeple .

Find this whole race swapping for the most part pretentious and tokenising. 

Projects like BP,Jordan Peele movies,the wire,static shock etc is more of what makes me feel more represented than bland cooperate choices I will forget soon after leaving the theatre.

In conclusion more original characters is the way to go.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Boxx93 said:

No. Snow White is supposed to be most beautiful character in the story, because the Queen was jealous of her beauty. That's why she sent a huntsman to kill her and deliver her heart. And when the Huntsman failed she turned into an old lady to kill her with a poisoned apple. She's jealous and want wants to kill her for being prettier than the Queen. That's the whole point.

Yes I understand that. But PRIOR to Snow White being born, the Queen was the most beautiful. That's literally the point of the story. She's jealous because this other person is now "the most fairest one of all"

1 hour ago, Boxx93 said:

Now you're twisting my words, buddy. I never said that. My point is that Rachel Zegler in particular is not prettier than Gal Gadot, therefore missing the whole point of the story.

Anyway, looks like no one Is going to change their minds about this so I'm gonna stop here.

In your opinion. Curious why this wasn't an issue with the Huntsman movie...

46 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Star in the making seems a stretch IMO.  Disney has been trying to make her happen and so far nah.

Star in the making is more like Pugh,Zendaya,Anya Taylor joy ...

Gal Gadot is beautiful but year her acting is mid at best.

Don't personally think race swapping character is dumb discourse and I think more  discussion on this should be had.

Lately so we have had so many pointless race  swaps for just ticking boxes and 90% of these characters end up soulless and just forgettable.

As African grew up watching most of these movies and loved them for what they were and the characters were relatable and didn't need to see myself or my race in them and related to them as poeple .

Find this whole race swapping for the most part pretentious and tokenising. 

Projects like BP,Jordan Peele movies,the wire,static shock etc is more of what makes me feel more represented than bland cooperate choices I will forget soon after leaving the theatre.

In conclusion more original characters is the way to go.

my god dude

Look, I welcome these race swaps since we need DEI in movies anyways and it simply shouldn’t be something to be upset over if you don’t have prejudices yourself. But Snow White was stupid on Disney’s part. These morons wouldn’t stfu about a freakin mermaid being race-swapped and now they are going to do it to a character that is literally named for her white skin in the story? It’s just giving these people all the ammo they need to create chaos. In this case, I think it was a mistake decision since they easily could have cast a Hispanic actress in a similar kind of Disney role where it wasn’t such an open invitation for these people. But I hope to be wrong and the crazies don’t make that bad of a shitshow out of it. 

Edited by MovieMan89

On the flip side, it’s possible this choice was very deliberate from Disney in an attempt to disassociate Snow White from being named for her skin. I mean, imagine if they had another character with a different skin tone named for their skin in 2023…. yeah, maybe not the best idea to be naming your characters for their skin color. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

On the flip side, it’s possible this choice was very deliberate from Disney in an attempt to disassociate Snow White from being named for her skin. I mean, imagine if they had another character with a different skin tone named for their skin in 2023…. yeah, maybe not the best idea to be naming your characters for their skin color. 

And is there a really reason to have another Snow White remake? There's been so many of them. What new does this bring to the table to justify the remake? ...ah, the money. There aren't stupid questions,  only stupid questioners :P

I agree on the naming challenge and makes me wonder that don't they care that it's just throwing gasoline on a fire with all the racial tension today...ah, the money.

(A joke warning:)

I guess the next big debate and race to the bottom is how Disney was founded on white supremacy which its first feature animation, Snow White, hints in plain sight! 😱

Edited by von Kenni

17 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Don't absolutely have confidence in snow white being good. Track record for this live action reimaginings  is already hit and miss.

At least Hailey was gorgeous and could sing but  I really don't get the casting choice for snow white and queen Regina .Will smith and and to an extent Hailey felt like inspired choices   but  Just feels like Disney really just ticking diversity boxes. 

ROP/HOD did it way better . I'm just meh on race swapping in general but Disney is the absolute worst at excuting it.

This is a movie if handled really well could have been big money maker . This is the movie that set the ball rolling for Disney and adjusted for inflation biggest animation of all time . Easy billion dollar film but now looks Cinderella at best IMO if it's lucky.

Uh, Rachel Zeigler is also gorgeous and anybody who saw "West Side Story" can tell you she can sing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Zegler has been the best part of every movie she's been in so far, and is a star in the making. What don't you "get"? She's an American from New Jersey...

Also the Queen being Gal Gadot makes sense because she's supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world, right? Like that's the whole point of the movie/story. Hasn't Gal been looked at in that way for 6+ years now?

Honestly just some of the dumbest discourse online is about "race swapping" or "gender swapping" characters. People need to get a life.

I shook my head at the implication that Zegler could not sing......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Disney are more likely to sell other assets before the company get sold itself. 

I understand that this whole sotry was a misread that Iger was considering selling off the Star India streaming network, which, since it lost the vitallly important sports contracts ,has been a loser for Disney.

Every company tries to sell off assets it no longer finds profitable but could be of value to somebody else.. Standard Business procedure.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I just wonder what Zegler did to make this guy hate her so much.

Ok fair enough on the gorgeous singing part .I was little harsh there  but the whole "I must hate her" card is just stereotypical response at this point but hey it's your opinion.

As for the rest regarding her star in the making argument and my general crux  of my argument in regards to race swapping I stand by that  and largest percentage of those characters never work or live any impact even when  you cieve out all the backlash. Original characters have always succeeded more and with less backlash involved.

The argument may sound trivial to some and guess will have to agree to disagree but feels it's among the numerous reasons we have lots of safe and by committee movies not due to representation but the shallow  idea behind it were some studios are just running through the motions.

• Like 1