A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

Just now, YM! said:

Tbh if you read the story, the budget of Across was about the same as a lower end Disney or Pixar before the Canada rebate.

I think it is possible to do Marvel and Star Wars movies on a cheaper budget so long as quality is there as 200m a feature just isn’t sustainable right now. For characters like Blade, Shang-Chi, Daredevil, Hawkeye, etc - an 100m to 130m budget can work. You could do a 150-175m budgeted Cap or Hulk and save 200m for big sequels and characters.

Star Wars has never been a cheap franchise, even the first film was $11m which was still $3m overbudget. 

Marvel is dependent on the character, Spider-Man can't be done for under $150m for example and a new X-Men film probably isn't going to be cheap either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

The Creator looked great and it was 80MM. What cost Marvel and Star Wars a lot of money is reshoot and actor/director premium pay. And probably cocaine and prostitutes for the execs.

You're clearly naive..... 

Just now, Jonwo said:

With Elemental, you can see the budget on screen as well. I think if people want animation jobs to stay in the US, they shouldn't be calling for Pixar or WDAS to cut their budgets. 

It’s crazy to read shit like this after the exposé on how Across the Spider-Verse was ran like a sweat shop. No, Across the Spider-Verse isn’t the example we want Marvel Studios OR Pixar and US animation for that matter when it comes to its budget. If anyone here actually needs a reminder:

https://www.vulture.com/2023/06/spider-verse-animation-four-artists-on-making-the-sequel.html

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Marvel is dependent on the character, Spider-Man can't be done for under $150m for example and a new X-Men film

They don't need to do every movie for under 150, but some more reasonable stuff like Blade it'll be good. I imagine Echo probably isn't all that expensive either.

As public criticism mounts, Feige is pulling the plug on scripts and projects that aren’t working. Case in point: the “Blade” reboot. With Mahershala Ali signed on for the eponymous role of a vampire, things looked promising for a 2023 release date. But the project has gone through at least five writers, two directors and one shutdown six weeks before production. One person familiar with the script permutations says the story at one point morphed into a narrative led by women and filled with life lessons. 

what-have-you-done.gif

“The so-called bad VFX we see was because of half-baked scripts,” says one person involved with “She-Hulk.” “That is not Victoria. That is Kevin. And even above Kevin. Those issues should be addressed in preproduction. The timeline is not allowing the Marvel executives to sit with the material.”

f1b5aaadd9042936fb97cf68e00df1fc5addaf6f

A more grounded and pratical blade can work imho, would also distinguish it from the plethora of cgi slob they've been putting out lately. I don't think it's a bad call to go lower budget on that one provided they actually get the talent to pull it off for that budget.

The part about blade being some female-led film about life lessons at some point is bonkers by the way, just make a blade film y'all it's not that hard.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Echo, Ironheart, Agatha, and probably Thunderbolts all need to be Batgirled 

Thunderbolts didn't start filming yet, so at the most it would be Justice League: Mortal'ed. I'm a huge fan of the team but I think the direction they took with the announced movie was just the worst possible one to take.

I know it is hurting hardcore fans feelings but Marvel needs this criticism and they needed clear failures like Quantumania so that they wouldn't be able to ignore the criticism. They have been dropping the ball. Luckily they can't ignore the dire ratings for that rancid Secret Invasion show or the bad tracking for The Marvels either. COVID hid Eternals sucking but they don't have that cover anymore. I think they need to drop most of the Marvel shows.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

37 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

A more grounded and pratical blade can work imho, would also distinguish it from the plethora of cgi slob they've been putting out lately. I don't think it's a bad call to go lower budget on that one provided they actually get the talent to pull it off for that budget.

The part about blade being some female-led film about life lessons at some point is bonkers by the way, just make a blade film y'all it's not that hard.

It’s actually the better way to make a Blade movie. No one wants to see Blade taking down CGI helicarriers. 

I don't see why people think burning bridges with everyone they made their shows with is going to improve things. People seem to forget what the actual reaction to Batgirl being canned was: everyone saying it was a terrible, greedy idea that made everyone think less of Zaslav. Marvel isn't looking at that and deciding "let's do that with over half a dozen projects".

The didn't sign a big overall deal with ajac Schaeffer just to write off Agatha because of a movie that has zero relationship to Agatha in any way. Any shows getting scrapped will be stuff like Vision Quest or Wonder Man or Nova, things very early in production or development, not the fully shot follow up to one of their most critically successful shows. If Thunderbolts really were getting canned, we'd have heard about it by now.

Edited by SpiderByte

36 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

They have been dropping the ball. Luckily they can't ignore the dire ratings for that rancid Secret Invasion show

The actual viewership of the show was actually not nearly as bad as the reviews. Higher than What if and Ms Marvel by Nielsens measure at least.

31 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't see why people think burning bridges with everyone they made their shows with is going to improve things. People seem to forget what the actual reaction to Batgirl being canned was: everyone saying it was a terrible, greedy idea that made everyone think less of Zaslav. Marvel isn't looking at that and deciding "let's do that with over half a dozen projects".

The didn't sign a big overall deal with ajac Schaeffer just to write off Agatha because of a movie that has zero relationship to Agatha in any way. Any shows getting scrapped will be stuff like Vision Quest or Wonder Man or Nova, things very early in production or development, not the fully shot follow up to one of their most critically successful shows.

Nothing is going to be cancelled. I can assure you on that. At the most Kang is going to be recast, and I say this not entirely sure if he hasn’t been recast already.

Loki’s Season 2 spoilers:

Spoiler

It wouldn’t be hard to explain that Ouroboros is another Kang, no one remembered who he was despite him knowing everyone and that happened right afterwards He Who Remains died. Also, the damning part for me was the way that he and Timely complimented each other eerily reminded me how He Who Remains told his story:

"Narcissistic, self-congratulatory peace…":

Edited by ZattMurdock

11 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Nothing is going to be cancelled. I can assure you on that. At the most Kang is going to be recast, and I say this not entirely sure if he hasn’t been recast already.

Ehhh I think the TV side will be shaken up for sure. Wonder Man is probably getting the Daredevil reshuffle since apparently part of the showrunner thing is based on the new WGA contract, but if the push is for more ongoings and fewer miniseries stuff like Vision Quest is probably not happening.

The only big takeaway I have is that I’m flabbergasted that they’d feel so desperate that they’d need to make a nostalgia bait movie with the original Avengers cast. Things can’t be that dire, can they? 

Also, just recast Kang. He should theoretically be a pretty easy character to recast anyway.