128 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It has nothing to do with when the monster is revealed.  Jaws is a perfect example.  It's what happens before the reveal.  Before the reveal in this film, there's no one to care about and most of the characters are bland.  So it takes away from the interest in the monster.

And the difference between Super 8 and Godzilla is that you care about the characters, I did anyway.  That's what made the movie so good imo.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 3

It has nothing to do with when the monster is revealed.  Jaws is a perfect example.  It's what happens before the reveal.  Before the reveal in this film, there's no one to care about and most of the characters are bland.  So it takes away from the interest in the monster.

And the difference between Super 8 and Godzilla is that you care about the characters, I did anyway.  That's what made the movie so good imo.

There are multiple reveals and scenario setups, which keep things fun and interesting even though the characters are a wash. The first two-thirds of SUPER 8 are better, but the third act of GODZILLA crushes SUPER 8.

• Like 9

Movie was alright but could've been notably better. If Cranston wasn't killed off and instead just chilled with Watanabe, the movie would've improved quite a bit. Same with a different male lead than the bland ATJ. Cinematography was great, action was good, and I liked Godzilla and the MUTOs. The score was great and I liked, but didn't love the movie. Direction saved most of it. A-

• Like 6

Despite the thin characters, there were numerous little touches I liked about them. I like how there wasn't a stock human villain. I liked how people behaved sensibly and didn't make stupid decisions simply for plot-related reasons. I liked that AJT, despite being the bomb expert, didn't save the day by shutting off the timer with three seconds left.

• Like 11

Despite the thin characters, there were numerous little touches I liked about them. I like how there wasn't a stock human villain. I liked how people behaved sensibly and didn't make stupid decisions simply for plot-related reasons. I liked that AJT, despite being the bomb expert, didn't save the day by shutting off the timer with three seconds left.

You have to admit it was pretty ridiculous how his character seemed to always find himself in the middle of everything with these creatures. What are the odds of that happening? Seemed contrived.

• Like 1

You have to admit it was pretty ridiculous how his character seemed to always find himself in the middle of everything with these creatures. What are the odds of that happening? Seemed contrived.

I didn't think that at all, actually. Seemed to make sense, more or less, to me.
  • Like 7