128 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

You have to admit it was pretty ridiculous how his character seemed to always find himself in the middle of everything with these creatures. What are the odds of that happening? Seemed contrived.

The only mildly contrived event was the MUTO showing up in Hawaii. The rest made reasonable sense.

• Like 1

Are you seriously complaining about the main human character being present for the major events? That seems totally bizarre to me.

Not only that, but managing to be the only one that survives each and every event? Yeah, not contrived in any way.
  • Like 2

The only mildly contrived event was the MUTO showing up in Hawaii. The rest made reasonable sense.

Even then, it's the most convenient local between Japan and the west coast if you want to snack on a Russin nuclear sub.

• Like 2

this movie was entertaining but it is nothing like it was sold. 

The filmmakers said it was going to go back to the feeling of the original 1954 movie. The trailers gave off a dark, apocalyptic tone. The movie is nothing like that. It is not a dark and scary movie at all. It is pretty much a superhero film, with the superhero and supervillain in monster form.

ATJ was indeed awful. Everything said about him was true.  He had just one expression the whole movie. 

Killing off Bryan Cranston was a huge mistake He was easily the most compelling human character by far. How did no one involved in the production see this clear fact and realize they were shooting themselves in the foot? What's sad is he dies before Godzilla is even introduced in the movie! 

Godzilla was not really portrayed as a frightening monster, it was like he was a friend of humanity right from the beginning. One scene that kind of bugged me is when you see all the boats around him guiding him to the city or something. Come on! This is Godzilla, being in the water with him should be the last thing you would want to do. 

That's why the comparisons to Jaws and Alien don't work. Ignore the fact that Jaws and Alien had more compelling human characters, in those movies the creature was kept off screen in order to build a sense of suspense and dread, but here Godzilla is not portrayed as a creature to be feared or something that could pop up anytime to harm our heroes. So this comparison makes no sense

as mentioned before the MUTO's receive the brunt of the screentime and focus and is the main thing all the characters are reacting to the whole movie. Godzilla is not even really mentioned until an hour in and in an extremely throw away scene where they basically go "Oh in 1954 we awakened some creature and tried to kill it but failed , we called it Godzilla".

but the main problem I had though, is that there really is no sense of dread or suspense at all. The closest it came was the scene on the railway tracks but really that was it.

Overall, I guess it is still a fun action movie but really kind of disappointing in how better it could possibly have been. 

6/10

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 4

If people are going to criticize the characters for being at every action scene, maybe we shouldn't watch action movies anymore. "The action is around the main character!" No kidding. Welcome to every single movie plot ever.I agree the actors are flat, but you're opening a whole new can of worms by saying the main character shouldn't be at the action scenes.

• Like 6

If people are going to criticize the characters for being at every action scene, maybe we shouldn't watch action movies anymore. "The action is around the main character!" No kidding. Welcome to every single movie plot ever.I agree the actors are flat, but you're opening a whole new can of worms by saying the main character shouldn't be at the action scenes.

Are we? Why is the main character ATJ and not GODZILLA?

• Like 2

Is there a movie featuring a monster/alien/creature/animal etc that doesn't have a human/humans as the main character/s?

Alien, Aliens, Predator, Jaws, Close Encounters, ID4, Signs, King Kong, JP

• Like 3

Are we? Why is the main character ATJ and not GODZILLA?

I was referring to your complaint about the coincidences where the human characters are in the film, which of course isn't answered. They were withholding Godzilla because saving his presence for later.
  • Like 2

It's not that they shouldn't be there, it's how they are there.

Once Cranston dies, it is just ATJ doing shit.  His wife who is a nurse at the hospital in the city of the attack does NOTHING!  So the only human connection at the end is this dude who can't die doing all kinds of shit because the script needed him to, that's it.  So it's very contrived(yes it is Tele!) to have the Army need an explosive guy go from scene to scene doing exactly what is needed.  

• Like 4

It's not that they shouldn't be there, it's how they are there. Once Cranston dies, it is just ATJ doing shit.  His wife who is a nurse at the hospital in the city of the attack does NOTHING!  So the only human connection at the end is this dude who can't die doing all kinds of shit because the script needed him to, that's it.  So it's very contrived(yes it is Tele!) to have the Army need an explosive guy go from scene to scene doing exactly what is needed.

ATJ is simply trying to get home. Once he sees he might be of help in the plan to stop the MUTOs, he tries to help. I don't see what the issue is.
  • Like 8