baumer

Wknd Estimates: Godzilla - 93.2M

The only thing keeping this movie from being an all time classic are the mostly flat characters. Even keeping everything else the same, Elizabeth Olsen and ATJ switching roles would've made it more interesting. Cranston was a bit goofy.My theater broke out in applause and cheers multiple times. Edwards played them like a fiddle. Just great stuff.Edit: better than MOS, IM3, CAP2, or SKYFALL. Your move, Ed.

:flamewar::ban:

The only thing keeping this movie from being an all time classic are the mostly flat characters. Even keeping everything else the same, Elizabeth Olsen and ATJ switching roles would've made it more interesting. Cranston was a bit goofy.My theater broke out in applause and cheers multiple times. Edwards played them like a fiddle. Just great stuff.Edit: better than MOS, IM3, CAP2, or SKYFALL. Your move, Ed.

MoS? Sorry to break it to you, but Supermans destruction can't be beat.IM3, take it. Don't bring it back.Cap2? LOL. Cap 2 has a story that doesn't need explanation every 10 minutes.Skyfall is just as overrated as this film is.Your move Tele.

Well it did improve :)

Sat Godz 32.3,N 9.8,TASM@ 7.3,MDA 4.3,TOW 2.6,HIFR 1.8,CATWS 1.6

As always, thanks for the #s, Rth. Love that you are always nice enough to give them to us.  ^_^

• Like 4

• Founder / Operator

Well it did improve :) Sat Godz 32.3,N 9.8,TASM@ 7.3,MDA 4.3,TOW 2.6,HIFR 1.8,CATWS 1.6

Cool, so $95m may still on the table. I'd imagine WB reports it over CA2 in the morning. Actuals...we'll see. Not so sure.Thanks for posting these, Rth.
  • Like 6

The Grey was awesome (well once most of the pointless characters died at least). I just honestly never see you flip out over anything modern. Seems like you're always B/B- guy. I guess creature features are your soft spot. :P

I am Mr. B- generally, this is true. It's not even that I'm a huge monster movie fan. This was just really well done.
  • Like 8

That and the fact that there is already an all-time classic Godzilla movie and it's miles better than this 2014 flick. Even with the exact same human character problems, they still could have drastically improved on this by not making Godzilla take a backseat to the other creatures for the first 90 minutes.

Again, the film would more accurately be called

MUTOs

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Me either and I am going to keep it that way.  B)

Me too. I watched the first one, and was bored to tears, and I just didn't care for the new Spider-Man, he just reminds me of the douchebags at work, the ones where they need to be punched in the nose. How can I root for a hero when I cannot stand the person behind the mask?

• Like 3

That and the fact that there is already an all-time classic Godzilla movie and it's miles better than this 2014 flick. Even with the exact same human character problems, they still could have drastically improved on this by

not making Godzilla take a backseat to the other creatures for the first 90 minutes.

The only other Godzilla movie I've seen (non-spoofed) was G98. I don't really care that

I didn't see him for awhile, I thought the buildup to him was fantastic and he owned the show when he showed up. This is like people bitching about TDKR because there's not enough Batman in it.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 10

I'm not saying it's a classic, I'm saying the only thing that keeps it from being a classic are the flattish characters. Even that could've been mostly overcome if they had someone really charismatic in the lead, that's why I think Olsen would've done a better job.

Don't you mean Miss Gawdesk Holt?

• Like 1

Cool, so $95m may still on the table. I'd imagine WB reports it over CA2 in the morning. Actuals...we'll see. Not so sure.Thanks for posting these, Rth.

No chance of a 100M? I hope it goes up higher Shawn buddy. And thanks from me too  RTH :)

• Like 1

Deadline

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/box-office-godzilla-crushes-it-90m/

This has been a roller coaster of a ride with Godzilla dipping greater than expected on Saturday night, with a 16% to 19% estimated drop from Friday, which means its total cume for Warner Bros./Legendary Pictures will come in more along the lines of $92M, instead of the $98M (an estimate that was predicated on a 10% drop).

take with a grain of salt and a glass of wine

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

The only other Godzilla movie I've seen (non-spoofed) was G98. I don't really care that I didn't see him for awhile, I thought the buildup to him was fantastic and he owned the show when he showed up. This is like people bitching about TDKR because there's not enough Batman in it.

I just don't get that statement quite honestly, can't even comprehend it.

He's completely gone after the (brief) Hawaii reveal until the last fight in San Fran. He owned

that, but that was such a brief scene.