#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

Judging by the trailers for TR4 and Apes 2, they will be the movies of the summer.  Godzilla had a great trailer as well, but those two trailers, seeing them at the DOFP showing was pretty awesome.

This has been a rather fun year in terms of BO following for me so far. Many big and moderately big hits. Fair share of surprises, breakouts and hilarious flops. May alone has been great fun. Really looking forward to rest of summer.

• Like 3

In terms of 7 years, yes, you're correct there. In terms of ticket prices, nope: prices are higher now than they were than and you still don't have a single film within sniffing distance, not even domestically. In terms of cultural impact, how many films -- especially ones with no preexisting fan base -- are actually used as rallying cries by multiple different cultural and native groups around the world? I realize that's outside your typical fan group, but if anything it's a far bigger situation than the crowd that fights over tickets to Hall H at Comic-Con.

I'm talking ticket prices compared to movies released in 2009. And as for cultural impact - Star Wars hello? Name 1 iconic quote from Avatar. *thumbleweed* Name cheap knockoffs that Avatar spawned. For a movie that makes THIS kind of money, all of this should be present, no excuses, ifs or buts. For a movie that makes THIS kind of money "no preexisting fanbase" argument should not apply by instant creation of a gigantic fanbase. Cameron's own Titanic is the living proof. And please don't say historical fact is the built-in 'fanbase' of Titanic, we're talking original aspects of the movie. Jack & Rose romance is widely considered one of the greatest ever in cinema, referenced, spoofed and recreated endlesly along with tons of other iconic images from the movie.

I kinda dig these scenes with Wolverine at the old folks' house in Origins. One of its redeeming moments.

Until the worst sfx/CG ever shows up in the bathroom with those claws...seriously, they look like they were rendered on a PS2 or something.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Until the worst sfx/CG ever shows up in the bathroom with those claws...seriously, they look like they were rendered on a PS2 or something.

Yea, totally agreed. It's like they painted a few cardboard cutouts and stuck them to his hand.  :wacko:

• Like 1

Color me shocked I loved DOFP, best X-Men movie and I really did not expect to say thisBetter than Godzilla

DOFP has one thing going for it that Godzilla didn't necessarily have, humor.

Both were pretty great regardless.

Edited by Fancyarcher

DOFP has one thing going for it that Godzilla didn't necessarily have, humor.

Both were pretty great regardless.

Godzilla brought out my inner fanboy.

DOFP got an emotional response from me (as somebody who isn't a huge X-Men fan) and I found very few flaws with it.  Plus it had a great script.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

Name 1 iconic quote from Avatar. *thumbleweed* Name cheap knockoffs that Avatar spawned. For a movie that makes THIS kind of money, all of this should be present, no excuses...

Knock-offs? How about both attempts at A PRINCESS OF MARS? A Golden Age visual apes by MAN OF STEEL and JUPITER ASCENDING (among others). Your argument would have some sort of sense if AVATAR barely scraped by existing box office records. It didn't. It obliterated them. I don't think the sequels will increase, because, like the original Star Wars, that's basically impossible. But even significantly diminished, they are a massive threat to any existing franchise, no matter how big. (Watch A2 gross more than Episode VII worldwide, for example.)
  • Like 4