#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

yep, I certainly didn't know Cap 2 was opening during a holiday week in China with not much competition the following weeks.

Well. You said "some" :)

GODZILLA snagged $34.5M overseas this weekend, $166M total, and over $300M+ worldwide.

On my mobile otherwise would embed Zimmer's Dream is Collapsing. Edited by Numbers of House Stark
  • Like 2

Horrible drop for Godzilla overseas. Damn, that's almost 70%. 103m to 34.5m. Terrible. Might end up with only 325m which is decent enough but after that huge opening it's definitely disappointing.

It faced Spider-Man 2 in just 17 markets in his forth weekend. I don't think it had that much of an impact.

How ?  CA2 stayed in my cinema 3 whole weeks and was pulled out to let Spider Man in...Three weeks only and then bye, bye !

Also CA2 in a lot of countries didn't have a real marketing campaign.  Like i said, in Brussels and other cities, there were zero posters, zero clip the evening prior to its opening to the pont that i asked the employee in my theater if it was indeed going to be released since i never saw a Marvel movie with no poster, no promotion, no nothing.    

Apparently Marvel didn''t pull all the plugs with this one like it did with IM3 and TTDW (big posters all over the place for weeks + TV clips).  It needed days for the general audience to know that it was released and then puff, it was out as soon as it was released.

At this point, I think Godzilla 2 is going to be heading straight for development purgatory. It's got no director, and WOM is clearly very weak, so I don't think there will be much enthusiasm in pursuing the project.

It does have a director. Tull has already said the plan is for Edwards to do it after his SW movie, and they had always planned for him to do another movie between Godzillas.