#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

Because it totally diminishes the accomplishment. Where is the asterisk for IM3?

I am talking about a theoretical asterisk, and IM3 should have one for the same reason. These are obliviously standing on the shoulders of TA. This makes it different than a straight sequel by definition, which is why I think that should be noted and acknowledged when discussing the improvement on its predecessor. Cap 1 vs Cap 2 is very different than X-Men 1 v X2 and that should be noted. That's all.

Subers new predictions :

Ray Subers ‏@raysubers  · 13m Long-term prospects for the three big movies out right now: X-Men - $225-255M, Godzilla - $205-$225M, Spider-Man - $200-203M. #boxoffice

95M OW proves that April is the new May? I'm confused. I don't see anymore Marvel movies scheduled to open in April. Let's not forget Cap 2 got an April release date because May was completely taken.

I think Cap 2 did great....but should have done more imo. Cap 1 wasn't half as good as Cap 2 if you ask me. I place it above Avengers in quality so 260 m is nice and all...but it seems like they left some money on the table for a movie that awesome.    Not sure I would rush to release a movie in April personally.

So what we're saying is...Cap 2 wouldn't have received a big bump had it not been for The Avengers.

The Avengers effect is tough to measure.   It seems to have skipped Thor 2 if we are going to give all the credit for the big bump to the "AE".   IM3...I get that.   But the passage of time seemed to have diluted it for Thor 2.    Add even more time and Cap 2 is suddenly getting a huge benefit?

I think this is the main reason:

Thor 2 65% RT score

Cap 2 89% RT score (hey...what happened to the 90%?)

So the movie with the better reception gets a bigger AE....coincidence? B)

Going to be interesting to see the TA2 effect so we can compare.   It will probably just get muddier as I think the BO for TA2 will be lower.   The AE should be less pronounced over time.   I think Cap 2 is going to stick out like a sore thumb as this goes along.

lol dat shield...and how everyone aims for it.

Usually, the person carrying a shield has a lot to do with "everyone aiming for the shield".  That's how shields work.   ;)

And if you really want to laugh...check out Wonder Woman and how everyone "aims" for two bracelets on her wrists.   :D

Edited by Harpospoke
  • Like 1

Any record that DOFP broke ??

If you consider a 7th film increasing over the previous three installments, then yes, a record has been broken.

Although, the 8th HP film managed to increase over all 7 prior installments, so there is that.

Edited by CloneWars

Godzilla's 3 day drop % is nearly identical Cloverfeild's despite being a Holiday to soften the drop.  Oh crikey... it might completely collapse after this weekend.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Posted Image

I still remember that scene in Batman Begins in theatre...everyone went hell yes...

I remember that.    Another reason why I wonder how anyone was surprised when the movie without the Joker (TDKR) grossed less than the one with the Joker.

I am talking about a theoretical asterisk, and IM3 should have one for the same reason. These are obliviously standing on the shoulders of TA. This makes it different than a straight sequel by definition, which is why I think that should be noted and acknowledged when discussing the improvement on its predecessor. Cap 1 vs Cap 2 is very different than X-Men 1 v X2 and that should be noted. That's all.

Should TDK get one of those theoretical asterisks because of following BB and having the Joker and Ledger's death?   How about Avatar and 3D novelty?   Every box office success stands on the shoulders of something.

Cap 2 being head and shoulders above Cap 1 in quality is a nice benefit too. :)

• Like 3

Hey I don't dispute what you're saying but even with Avengers bump a lot of people did not like Cap 1 and were not interested in seeing Cap 2 regardless.  Cap 2 is mega successful relative to it's predecessor. Even with the most generous Avengers bump avg WW predictions were 500-550m. So yeah to me, going from 370m to 700m is a huge accomplishment no matter how I look at it.

• Like 2

I remember that.    Another reason why I wonder how anyone was surprised when the movie without the Joker (TDKR) grossed less than the one with the Joker.

It was not about The Joker, It was about making a great movie. :) 

And sending a message :P

• Like 1

Holy mother of god. The IPL just ended with the most ridiculous and convoluted circumstances ever seen. After 95 games, the finale was decided in an extra delivery. Kind of like how Man City won in the last 2 minutes 3 years ago.

• Like 1

Holy mother of god. The IPL just ended with the most ridiculous and convoluted circumstances ever seen. After 95 games, the finale was decided in an extra delivery. Kind of like how Man City won in the last 2 minutes 3 years ago.

2 horrible leg side full tosses and that missed run-out. home crowd makes the difference between choking and confidence i guess.

I can say overall I did underestimate the mutants

i went with 84m 3-day last week. but i sort of forced that to go 'in' in the dofp below 85m ow club. was expecting 87-88m really.