Maleficent (2014)

80 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Disney could never make a proper movie about date rape. I think it's insulting they would even try if they cannot commit to its reality.

But,

worship Jolie! Fuck off hater! Godzilla sucks! loldragon2

is all you'll ever get in response, so :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Umm. Portraying date rape or even offering a commentary on the issue was not the goal of the director.The motivation behind Maleficent's revenge was convincing IMO. I was feeling Maleficent's pain along with her.

No, it was intended to potray rape. Jolie confirms it

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/angelina-jolie-maleficent-rape

• Like 1

Well, it is understandable that she would say something like that on Woman's Hour, and considering her focus on such issues I can see how she could say she was aware of the metaphor. That doesn't mean it was the directors goal for the scene. And even if it was, I think they pulled it off well, thanks primarily to Jolie's performance.

No, it was intended to potray rape. Jolie confirms it

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/angelina-jolie-maleficent-rape

Well, it is understandable that she would say something like that on Woman's Hour, and considering her focus on such issues I can see how she could say she was aware of the metaphor. That doesn't mean it was the directors goal for the scene. And even if it was, I think they pulled it off well, thanks primarily to Jolie's performance.

The director has said that it wasn't the main goal to portray it as rape but could understand those that see it that way.

This is a lot like Frozen's 'Let it Go' where many groups wanted to believe or used the scene as a metaphor for their cause.

People will seen what they want into scenes like that.

When I saw the movie the though 'rape' never crossed my mind when I saw that scene.

I saw a weakling desperate for power who knew that killing Maleficent would give him that power.. did not have the guts to do it.  With her power there is no way he could have taken her wings so he had to drug her.  The drugging was simply a plot convenience.  

The director has said that it wasn't the main goal to portray it as rape but could understand those that see it that way.

This is a lot like Frozen's 'Let it Go' where many groups wanted to believe or used the scene as a metaphor for their cause.

People will seen what they want into scenes like that.

When I saw the movie the though 'rape' never crossed my mind when I saw that scene.

I saw a weakling desperate for power who knew that killing Maleficent would give him that power.. did not have the guts to do it.  With her power there is no way he could have taken her wings so he had to drug her.  The drugging was simply a plot convenience.  

I think it's a bit different than Let It Go situation because I think none of the directors, writers and producer has ever said that Let It Go is a metaphor for anything. In Maleficent case, Jolie said that both she and the writer (Linda Woolverton) were conscious that it was a metaphor for rape. Maybe it wasn't the intention of the director, but at least it was the intention of the writer.

• Like 1

I really liked the movie. Thought both Jolie and Elle Fanning were fantastic as Maleficent and Aurora. The three fairies were hilarious. Stefan could have been better as a villain, and it was funny how he got the typical Disney death. The dragon could have done way more, but it was likely the first time Diaval was transformed into a Dragon, and it couldn't really fly or move much being trapped in the room. My favorite parts were Maleficent interacting with baby/child Aurora. This version of Maleficent was never evil, and just had one really really bad day when she cursed a baby.

I'm glad this movie has been doing well at the boxoffice.

B+

It's....not terrible?

There's a lot messed up in the film, given the fairly expansive plot jam packed into only 97 minutes, leading to a lot of rushed developments that don't seem wholly believable (i.e. Diaval becoming frustrated with Maleficent, Aurora and Maleficent bonding forever after only one scene), and a lot of it's backed up by thinly veiled plot armor. (The fairy spells automatically make Aurora an overly wide-eyed, one-note character!) I know that it does try to go for some interesting themes and metaphors, but they're handled in the most trite manner. Most of it ultimately is the blame of Woolverton (who worked on the scripts for BatB and TLK, it's kind of pathetic that she went to this and AiW) and Stromberg.

But I digress, as there's some good to be had in this movie. Maleficent is played well by Jolie, who is able to go from "well, well!" to total badass just like that. I even enjoyed the three bumbling fairies and Diaval! The visual and musical aesthetic is also very strong, and it's surprisingly effective in its use of CGI world building, aside from the first battle scene. To be fair, you really can't compare this to the original Sleeping Beauty if you want to not hate it. The revisionism works well in places, especially with a villian as campy as the Wicked Witch of the West, but some of the badass charm of Maleficent is just obliterated here.

It's a fine way to kill two hours, but there really isn't much too it.

Pretty decent movie. Great acting by Jolie. Liked all the twists in the story. Didn't think there was enough dialogue though. Not enough explanations on why she went dark so quickly; why everyone started to be scared of her. Also what the fuck were the 3 little fairies doing in the human kingdom giving gifts in the first place? Didn't make sense. 

Was pretty evident halfway through that Mal would be the one to give the 'true love kiss'......which was done just so bad. Not even a close up of the kiss or anything. 

Oh and where was the little fairys' gift???

Anyway decent but not great

C+/B-

It's too... long :D Seriously, there's too much unnecessary stuff that it could have been half an hour shorter. Well, that's what you get when you don't have a real director. It's not completely awful though; I liked the performances and some parts of the story - those that weren't filler that is, and the CGI is beautiful at times but some of those creatures were some new form of fugly :blink:

5/10

Right... While I thought the editing was appalling, the effects were a tad too much, everything that involved Copley was horrible, the three fairies were beyond (I'll abstain), I think Jolie did an amazing job as Maleficent. The most interesting character we saw. Her servant, Diaval, was also pretty good.

It was very entertaining, but only as long as Jolie was on screen.

B

The director clearly has a lot left to learn, as well.

Edited by ChD

I gave the film a rewatch because others were and I want to change my official grade from a D to an F.

The only good thing about this upon rewatch was the curse scene and even that was flawed.

The exposition was out of control, the CGI is awful, the art design is groan worthy, the film spits in the face of Sleeping Beauty, id create a longer rant about it but I believe everyone here has said what there is to be said.

It comes off as being a fan fiction written by a 15 year old for an English class assignment. Jolie does what she can with it but even then it doesn't redeem a terrible, terrible film that is getting over rewarded due to pure circumstance.

• Like 4