Neo

2015: Top 10 Opening Weekend Predicitons

DH2 only had like a 40% 3D share actually.

43%. So without 3D DH2 OW would be somethink like $155-156 mln. Today this would be $160 mln maximum. The Hunger Games isn't next TDK or TDKR. There's no chance MJ2 will reach $180 mln without 3D.

DH2 did 169 million with 3D when 3D was popular as well...

I think MJ2 doing 170-180 million is pretty huge. That would put it in the TDK, Spider Man 3, TA

"All Time Legendary Great Openings" category. 

It also had a very low Saturday and Sunday number compared to most massive openers

Your MIV and Sw7 picks are impossible they come out a week after each other so you have a star wars in its second weekend with with your opening is probably around 90 has there ever been a Christmas weekend that high

Not impossible

• Like 1

so many people are under-predicting Fast 7, the last film opened to 97m. Do people need reminding that its star recently died in a car accident? Its like people completely forgot about what happened with TDK have Ledgers death. So many people will be watching this just to see one last Paul Walker 'Fast' movie, and female attendance will definitely increase. 150m OW is very doable for it.

• Like 1

so many people are under-predicting Fast 7, the last film opened to 97m. Do people need reminding that its star recently died in a car accident? Its like people completely forgot about what happened with TDK have Ledgers death. So many people will be watching this just to see one last Paul Walker 'Fast' movie, and female attendance will definitely increase. 150m OW is very doable for it.

While I see it doing very well (130m) 150m seems like too much of a jump, no franchise ever has had that kind of OW jump. Plus I think Uni is capable of achieving of opening that large at this point

While I see it doing very well (130m) 150m seems like too much of a jump, no franchise ever has had that kind of OW jump. Plus I think Uni is capable of achieving of opening that large at this point

TDK jumped over 300% on from BB, all because of Ledger. I wouldn't rule 150m out for this. besides, you're missing the bigger picture, Fast 7 wont follow usual franchise patterns with everything that happened to it, trying to compare to other franchises is just silly when their main star who was loved by women everywhere suffered a 'car' accidently recently and is still fresh in peoples minds.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

TDK jumped over 300% on from BB, all because of Ledger. I wouldn't rule 150m out for this. besides, you're missing the bigger picture, Fast 7 wont follow usual franchise patterns with everything that happened to it, trying to compare to other franchises is just silly when their main star who was loved by women everywhere suffered a 'car' accidently recently and is still fresh in peoples minds.

2 things Batman Begins opened up on a wenedsday so it's OW was already deflated and Batman(89) already proved the franchise had a huge audience, which is another reason the The Dark knight was able to make so much money.
  • Like 2

2 things Batman Begins opened up on a wenedsday so it's OW was already deflated and Batman(89) already proved the franchise had a huge audience, which is another reason the The Dark knight was able to make so much money.

TDK sold more tickets than any Batman movie, Ledgers death certainly brought in a new set of fans. And find if you want to bring up the whole 'BB was released on a wed' argument then its OW still increased over 100% from its 5day weekend alone, im saying Fast has the potential to increase 50% which is a much smaller increase, its definitely possible and more likely than the lowball 105m OW predictions ive seen around here.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

not all because of ledger

Begins opened on a Wednesday, its 48mil 'opening weekend' isn't a good comparison for tdk.

A good amount of the increase can be attributed to Begins being a good film, and it also had a soft opening based on rebooting after franchise ruining batman and robin.

TDK was always going to have a bigger than average OW jump based on these factors. Ledgers death definitely grabbed alot of attention but to attribute all of the increase just to that is foolish 

• Like 1

not all because of ledger

Begins opened on a Wednesday, its 48mil 'opening weekend' isn't a good comparison for tdk.

A good amount of the increase can be attributed to Begins being a good film, and it also had a soft opening based on rebooting after franchise ruining batman and robin.

TDK was always going to have a bigger than average OW jump based on these factors. Ledgers death definitely grabbed alot of attention but to attribute all of the increase just to that is foolish 

It attributed to most of the increase buddy. If ledger hadn't died, it wouldn't have sniffed the OW record nor 400m domestic. Im predicting a 50% increase, its not impossible in the slightest. And like I said in my other posts, sure BB opened on a Wednesday but even if you take it 5-day opening gross, TDK still increased over 100% from that along on OW (BB had a 72m 5-day opening) ;)

So yeah, pretty good comparison actually.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

TDK jumped over 300% on from BB, all because of Ledger.

Posted Image

Yeah, and Shrek 2 ($441 mln) jumped 165% on from Shrek ($268 mln) by accident. LOL, even without Ledger's death TDK could hit over $400 mln domestic. BB had great WOM, incredible well DVD/blu-ray sales, and was about 100 in IMDb's TOP250. TDK also had great advertising.

• Like 1

Posted Image

Yeah, and Shrek 2 ($441 mln) jumped 165% on from Shrek ($268 mln) by accident. LOL, even without Ledger's death TDK could hit over $400 mln domestic. BB had great WOM, incredible well DVD/blu-ray sales, and was about 100 in IMDb's TOP250. TDK also had great advertising.

okay not 100% because of Ledger but mostly because of Ledger. It wouldn't have crossed 400m had he not passed away, you're basically saying it would have seen a 100% increase even though there wasn't much hype for the film until news broke out that Ledger had died, then it became a must see event.

And don't use IMDB results to back your theory, we all know IMDB doesn't mean shit, unless you want to believe Batman Begins had better WOM than Titanic lol. And Shrek was far more beloved with the public than BB, so you, put your gifs away and come up with a real argument. 65% increase isn't the same as 170% increase, use your head.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

Posted Image

Big difference with 300%+ and 165%.

• Like 2

Hype was already HUUUUGE in December 2007 (after first theatrical trailer and IMAX prologue), a month before Ledger's death.

I think at least $120 mln OW was very possible and with the same multiplayer (x3,37, because movie was well-reviewed and had great WOM) final domestic fross would be over $404 mln.

Edited by Juby
  • Like 1

Hype was Huuuuuuge in December already (after first theatrical trailer and IMAX prologue), a month before Ledger's death.

I think at least $120 mln OW was very possible and with the same multiplayer (x3,37, because movie was well-reviewed and had great WOM) final domestic fross would be over $404 mln.

The highest prediction before his death was around 300m-350m max. Hype was quite big for online posters, the GA didn't really care that far out. Also it seems like you've just made that 404m prediction just to prove that it would have crossed 400m lol. So even by that, Ledger would have added 130m to the total.

Oh btw, your multiplier is way too high ;)

Edited by jessie

The highest prediction before his death was around 300m-350m max.

Oh btw, your multiplier is way too high ;)

The highest prediction for Avengers was $175 mln OW and $500 mln DOM. Movie finished with $207/623 mln. So what's your point? Predictions from 8 months before TDK release gives us nothing!

Multiplier isn't too high. Movie was great and had great WOM (rank #1 in TOP250). Heath's death hadn't nothing to do with multiplayer.

Edited by Juby

The highest prediction for Avengers was $175 mln OW and $500 mln DOM. Movie finished with $207/623 mln. So what's your point? Predictions from 8 months before TDK release gives us nothing!

Multiplier isn't too high. Movie was great and had great WOM (rank #1 in TOP250). Heath's death hadn't nothing to do with multiplayer.

BKB predicted 600m. Again, IMDB results mean nothing, its Nolan after all, he's basically worshiped on that site. I also misread your multiplier, that's my bad. Still I find it very convenient that you pull numbers out of your ass just to prove to me that it would have crossed 400m. You wont find any 200m grossers that had a 100% increase with the sequel, so no, I (like most) don't think it would have hit 400m without the death of Ledger, and you're arguing it would make 404m lol, so not even you seem that confident about it.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

Ledger's death affected the BO (how much we'll never know), but let's not forget that he was also playing the most popular comic book villain of all time.

Not to mention the fact that he gave a stunning and award-winning performance.

• Like 1