Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

Disney releasing CA2 in April is the greatest scheduling decision in recent years.

along with Lego Movie in feb and gravity in oct. put 'em in the months where there aren't huge movies every weekend. I'm surprised it took them this long to figure it out.

• Like 10

along with Lego Movie in feb and gravity in oct. put 'em in the months where there aren't huge movies every weekend. I'm surprised it took them this long to figure it out.

Home having April and May to itself seems like a good move too.

Looks like my club will become a success. I had to do something to counteract the Godzilla haters. 

Posted Image

You really made a club for a franchise that's known for horrible legs, for a 2nd weekend coming off an inflated first, to counter horrible Crapzilla drops.

Seems legit.

• Like 5

This year we have Dracula Untold and his 100M budget in October. That will bring the cash home  :ph34r:

You really made a club for a franchise that's known for horrible legs, for a 2nd weekend coming off an inflated first, to counter horrible Crapzilla drops.Seems legit.

It might drop even worse than Last Stand. -67%+.........................

Next one will go sub-200. Baumer will finally get his wish for this franchise, haha.

I've kinda lost track of this Sony crapfest. Which is next? Disastrous 6 or The Mediocre Spider-Man 3?

• Like 2

so wait, wait, wait. let's look at some domestic charts.

Spider-man was the #1 movie of 2002. Spider-man 2 was the #2 movie of 2004 and Spider-Man 3 was the #1 movie of 2007. TASM couldn't make the top 5 and there's a really good chance TASM 2 ain't even gonna be in the top 10 when the year's all said and done.

:WHATanabe:

• Like 6

I hate how big drops are always put down to bad WOM.

Surely there's fan boy rush that has to be taken into account? Not even fanboy rush, just general audience excitement and rush.

There's only so many people that are going to watch an XMen film in cinemas. Maybe they all just went out quickly?

Times are changing, yet WOM always gets blamed as seemingly the sole reason.

I'm not big on XMen, and haven't seen it, so I don't really care. However this talk annoys me.

I honestly think it's due to a bunch of "MUST SEE"s crammed into one month, as well as the typical X-Men frontloadedness coming into play.  For this year, for tentpoles, there is actually a decent amount that don't totally suck, as shown by the RT scores, and CATWS and X-Men are part of the "cream of the crop" of CBMs. 

There's a lot more choice available to audiences, as well a packed first month. Pair it with the typical 2nd weekend drop for X-men movies, and WOM can't really save it. It will likely stabilize next week though, we'll have to see how EoT is received but signs are pointing to it might really be good.

That huge drop for DoFP makes me sad and it makes you wonder if G-2014 actually got bad WoM or if this is just how it's going to go from now on for big action films.

GZ2014 definitely had mediocre WOM. Even its Cinemascore, which is a poll of diehards rushing out opening night, was not exactly great. You have to remember DOFP's first Sunday performed more like a Saturday, so it was doomed to a big drop this weekend.

Besides, X-Men has always been frontloaded as hell. Even XFC, which opened much smaller than some of the others, still had average legs considering how great its WOM was and the smaller opening.

• Like 1

GZ2014 definitely had mediocre WOM. Even its Cinemascore, which is a poll of diehards rushing out opening night, was not exactly great. You have to remember DOFP's first Sunday performed more like a Saturday, so it was doomed to a big drop this weekend.

Besides, X-Men has always been frontloaded as hell. Even XFC, which opened much smaller than some of the others, still had average legs considering how great its WOM was and the smaller opening.

Yeah but you'd think that DoFP having great WoM'd counter that.