Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

And it, along with the first X-Men, started the current superhero trend. Yes, yes, Blade - but that was nowhere near the same level, so it's X-Men kicking life into it and Spider-Man making it soar. 

the current superhero trend was started in 2008 by iron man and the dark knight, that's exactly why both x-men and spider-man aren't successful now

• Like 1

98? Bitch. The opening was 93M. If you gonna go for the jugular, at LEAST,  get the number correct. BYE, FELICIA.

Don't be so extra.
  • Like 4

And it, along with the first X-Men, started the current superhero trend. Yes, yes, Blade - but that was nowhere near the same level, so it's X-Men kicking life into it and Spider-Man making it soar. 

I would say that Blade was the first to start the trend. WB had done Superman and Batman movies, but no other superheroes were seriously adapted. Then, WB owned New Line Cinema (WB, the owners of DC comics) adapted the first Marvel superhero to the big screen when they made Blade.

X-Men was the big breakthrough. Then, Spider-Man just exploded onto the scene. But, that was all because Blade did so well.

the current superhero trend was started in 2008 by iron man and the dark knight, that's exactly why both x-men and spider-man aren't successful now

I don't see any disconnect between the two eras, if only because superhero movies kept being made - to successful results - in-between 2003 and 2008. TDK took it to new levels in terms of box office and quality, sure, but it's still the same era. The genre was dead before them , it was alive after, without any significant pause in-between that and 2008.

Wow, that 6 million dollar number for Seth MacFarlane is terrible.  Especially since Adam Sandler just bombed and it has been a few weeks since Neighbors.  Audiences might be extra hungry for 22 Jump Street since these last 2 have bombed.

I would say that Blade was the first to start the trend. WB had done Superman and Batman movies, but no other superheroes were seriously adapted. Then, WB owned New Line Cinema (WB, the owners of DC comics) adapted the first Marvel superhero to the big screen when they made Blade.

X-Men was the big breakthrough. Then, Spider-Man just exploded onto the scene. But, that was all because Blade did so well.

I mentioned Blade, but that did not have as significant an impact on audiences. It gave studios some confidence, but it was X1 and SM1 that really kicked things off, IMO. Blade planted the seeds, though.  ;)

• Like 1

Blended is sweet, funny and full of heart. Its kind of like Just Go With It African style but its definitely worth seeing. Really good flick.

Blended is sweet, funny and full of heart. Its kind of like Just Go With It African style but its definitely worth seeing. Really good flick.

It's finally happened, Baumer has finally lost his mind.I knew it would happen, it was only a matter of time.
  • Like 3

I mentioned Blade, but that did not have as significant an impact on audiences. It gave studios some confidence, but it was X1 and SM1 that really kicked things off, IMO. Blade planted the seeds, though.  ;)

this is what each film meant to the superhero genre

blade:

Posted Image

x1:

Posted Image

sm1:

Posted Image

• Like 2

It's finally happened, Baumer has finally lost his mind.I knew it would happen, it was only a matter of time.

He's kinda like Bizarro-Superman. Well, not rreally. I agree with him a lot of the times, but some of his beloved/disliked films leave me completely baffled.

• Like 1

#ED not on the board. Betcha his preggo wife won the war and dragged him to see Maleficent.

Ah. There was no way I was going after Coolio's comment!Instead we're going out to eat, :)
  • Like 1