Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

FC or Wolverine 2  had to woo the core audience back with good WOM over several weeks.  The great reviews and early WOM for DOFP probably gave the series a rush factor it hadn't had since Last Stand or the first Wolverine.  Hence a far larger opening than the last two films, buoyed by the holiday weekend - and more front-loaded. In the end though it's going to earn about 50% more than both DOM.

Still a bigger than expected drop.  I expected a 61-62% and a $35m weekend.

Duh, we all knew that. But there's a big difference between the 67-69% drops of Last Stand and Origins and the 56-60% drops of X-Men, FC, and Wolvy 2. No one really expected it to match X2's 53% drop.

Maybe in this day and age, dropping about as much as a 2006 film (after a holiday weekend), especially the seventh film in a franchise should be considered pretty good.

Lol, let's not go nuts - it had a very nice run but it'll barely crack 260m. The bigger story is that nothing touched 300m, TF pending.

Well so far summer movies will barely crack 200 m let alone 250 m.And I'm starting to think TF4 will join the sub-250 club.

All these terrible multipliers of TASM2, Godzilla and now X-Men made me realize that Pirates 4 had fantastic legs. It opened with 90M and ended with 240M. A dream for any of those 3 movies.

I said the same thing just last week  :ph34r:

• Like 1

All these terrible multipliers of TASM2, Godzilla and now X-Men made me realize that Pirates 4 had fantastic legs. It opened with 90M and ended with 240M. A dream for any of those 3 movies.

It makes you respect Star Trek Into Darkness a little more. Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3

Well so far summer movies will barely crack 200 m let alone 250 m.And I'm starting to think TF4 will join the sub-250 club.

TF4 will have a lower than expected OW. But legs will be better because the July the 4th week is after the OW and the movie will hold well in it. 

• Like 1

Maleficent probable weekend giving it 50% increase (assuming it plays to families) and a 35% decrease.

With 22M Friday

= 67M

With 24M Friday

= 72M

A 50% increase?  No chance.  Movies, even kids films, don't jump that much this late into May, on their opening weekend.  Best case is about a 20% increase.

Edited by baumer

It makes you respect Star Trek Into the Darkness a little more.

So true. It really makes me look in a different way to Pirates 4 and STID.

A 50% increase?  No chance.  Movies, even kids films, don't jump that much this late into June, on their opening weekend.  Best case is about a 20% increase.

We are still in May  :ph34r:

It makes you respect Star Trek Into Darkness a little more.

STID's only problem was its soft opening. Its legs were good for a summer blockbuster sequel (subtract opening Thursday # and it has a 3.07 multiplier). Its run has just been colored by that underwhelming opening.

Edited by Numbers of House Stark

i don't think godzilla's wom is toxic. it attracted a fan-base starving for 16 years with a huge amazing ow. it ended up being worth one watch. no repeat viewings and no conversions from non-believers is killing legs.

if dofp looks to fall 64%-66% with it's amazing wom, godzilla's drop with mixed wom and it's genre are understandable if not acceptable.

Godzilla had great marketing including a brilliant trailer.  Nothing more.

I do think this pushes the door wide open for Dragon

Dragon is the only big animated movie this summer and it's will have been months from even Rio 2 when it opens.  The first one was well loved and what else is out there for little kids?   It doesn't need another door to open for it to be big.  

lol, BO.com had 15M and 48-50M weekend for DOFP and now it's in the complete gutter at 9.3M and maybe 30-31M. How the fuck do you miss a movie by nearly 6M on it's 2nd Friday? 

:WHATanabe:

• Like 2

lol, BO.com had 15M and 48-50M weekend for DOFP and now it's in the complete gutter at 9.3M and maybe 30-31M. How the fuck do you miss a movie by nearly 6M on it's 2nd Friday? 

:WHATanabe:

:qotd:

• Like 2