BadAtGender

Weekend Actuals - Maleficent 69.4, DoFP 32.6, 1M Way 16.8, Zilla 12, Blend 8.14, Neigh 8.08, Spidey 3.8, 1M Arm 3.6

I think both TF4 and HTTYD2 can hit 300.

I thought both were contenders earlier in the year but I'm having serious doubts now. I think HTTYD2 is looking to underwhelm (based on this forum's standards) and TF4 I think is going to suffer from the same fatigue that plagued Pirates 4 (which was also supposed to be a "fresh start" for the franchise though technically still a sequel). I think Bay himself has even said TF4 isn't a full fledged reboot, it's a sequel that starts a new story while taking from the original trilogy as well. I'm thinking sub $250 for both.

I've just kind of accepted this is just a pretty lousy summer.

We really need some good numbers soon to keep us going. We're running out of things to derail threads with.

Maleficent $8.1mXMen $3.2mMWTD $1.3mGojira $1.1mNay $0.7no source, I made them up.discuss
  • Like 2

I thought both were contenders earlier in the year but I'm having serious doubts now. I think HTTYD2 is looking to underwhelm (based on this forum's standards)

Why, though? I've seen a lot of people say this, but they've never given any good reason why it should underwhelm.

If it's just an "I'm not feeling it" sort of thing, fine, but I really get the sense that since nothing so far this summer has really surprised people, they're just getting the sense that nothing will, either. "These movies didn't do so hot, so clearly this other unrelated movie also won't."

And B does not follow A.

is it possbile for Maleficent to outgross ASM 2/Godzilla/DOFP?

asm2 and godzilla is possible. will need a 2.9-2.95 multiplier.

i don't see dofp less than 220m. so malf needs a 3.16+ multiplier. don't think it can outgross dofp.

Edited by a2k

Why, though? I've seen a lot of people say this, but they've never given any good reason why it should underwhelm.

If it's just an "I'm not feeling it" sort of thing, fine, but I really get the sense that since nothing so far this summer has really surprised people, they're just getting the sense that nothing will, either. "These movies didn't do so hot, so clearly this other unrelated movie also won't."

And B does not follow A.

A big part of it is the "I'm not feeling it". I hope I'm wrong, I loved the first and would really enjoy seeing this summer have a breakout. But you are right that just because nothing so far has broken out doesn't mean nothing will.

I will put it this way, if any two movies this summer are going to make a run at $300 million, it's Dragon 2 and TF4. It's just for some reason the closer we get to the dates for both I just feel less and less like they will do it.

is it possbile for Maleficent to outgross ASM 2/Godzilla/DOFP?

anything is possible right now for Maleficent, it could finish at 150 or it could finish at 350

If you change the question to "likely" instead of possible, then the answer probably no. Especially for DOFP. Tiny chance it could still catch TASM2 or Godzilla though. But Fault In Our Stars and HTTYD2 should prevent the legs for Maleficent from being too big.

I'm thinking sub $250 for both.

Sub 250 for both HTTYD2 and TF4 would just be horrendous.

I think TF4 is currently on target for a 100M ow, and HTTYD2 is on target for an 80M ow.

HTTYD2 should be able to blow past 250, and probably 300 too.