Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

To be fair some lines sound stupid out of context. Take this one for example-

"I love you."

"I know."

yeah, but I can't even imagine a context where that Fault stuff sounds good unless there's a scene where they mock  teen loved-up facebook status bullshit.

The only two movies I've ever "cried" at are Toy Story 3 and... Marley & Me. 

That said I got some manly watery eyes during TDKR.

I only cry when something happens to animals, especially dogs. 

Couldn't care less about humans.  :lol:

• Like 2

That's what the SW7 crowd is going to look like along with TA2 and just about any overhyped blockbuster..

Episode VII and AoU will have crowds filled with 16 year old girls?

• Like 5

Is that your favorite theater? Or is just the most convenient?

4 minute drive, free parking with validation and a pretty good food court and dining options. Also, since it is AMC, my stubs card and Costco tickets are easily used there. Of course, once I move to Irvine, I will need to find a new "home theater" so to say.

• Like 2

I only cry when something happens to animals, especially dogs. 

Couldn't care less about humans.  :lol:

Yeah last time I cried was during Eight Below due to the dog stuff

The only two movies I've ever "cried" at are Toy Story 3 and... Marley & Me. 

That said I got some manly watery eyes during TDKR.

I cried for those too.

• Like 1

4 minute drive, free parking with validation and a pretty good food court and dining options. Also, since it is AMC, my stubs card and Costco tickets are easily used there. Of course, once I move to Irvine, I will need to find a new "home theater" so to say.

So you're moving to the O.C. huh? Best of luck.

The dialogue is cringe worthy because it obviously sounds like a middle aged dude wrote it. Teens don't talk like that.

Yeah, but in the book the parents of the teens acknowledge that and say something about how weird their kids are. It works on the page and thanks to good acting it works in the movie too.
  • Like 4

yeah, but I can't even imagine a context where that Fault stuff sounds good unless there's a scene where they mock  teen loved-up facebook status bullshit.

It sounds good to teens though.

Green writes dialogue that's idealistic, not realistic. It's engaging because it's what we would say if everything we said were perfect and practiced. We all want cool lines without the ums and ers, but that doesn't happen. Literature like this is an escape because it's showing how cool it would be if we were like that. (Tom Robbins is another author who does this, IIRC, though it's been quite a while since I read any of his stuff.)

It makes a lot of sense, too. Green comes from vlogging, which is an engaged and personal entertainment, but still practiced. You can see a similar effect in the web series his brother Hank does. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries doesn't sound like people actually talk, but that doesn't stop it from being absolutely great.

Mostly, I'm finding it confused because the book has a pretty strong critical acclaim, and it doesn't seem like the movie is straying too far from it, dialogue-wise. So I wonder if people are harshing on it just because it's popular with teen girls. Who routinely get shit on for anything they like.

• Like 2

FiOS can have "My hair's in the pie Brian. And now, it's inside of you. Part of me, is inside of you, Brian. Do you feel me, Brian? Do feel me inside of you?" and tissues would come out.

To be fair some lines sound stupid out of context. Take this one for example-

"I love you."

"I know."

I thought it was good.  It was changed as well.  The original was different.