Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

I think you just answered your own question

Okay so when people demand more original sci-fi, they're demanding more movies like Avatar and less like EoT?Seems kind of silly. There are plenty of sci-fi stories that could be adapted and end up better than Elysium.

200 M is really possible now for MALEFICENT.

I honestly hope so.It's hardly the best May movie, but dammit I want some legs.And really, who has better legs of the May movies than Angelina Jolie? Sorry Jlaw, Jolie still wins that game.
  • Like 1

I think it has quite a bit actually. I mean, EoT was probably never likely to be a smash, but tonally these movies aren't that far apart marketing wise, and when it's coming one year after Oblivion, I think you'd be quite surprised at how that can turn off audiences.

Do you think audiences are justified for reacting that way?Seems like it was short sighted to ignore EoT just because it's another Tom Cruise sci-fi flick.

Oblivion was the best movie of 2013. Really surprised that EOT would come in below it.

Though it looks like it will beat Oblivion overseas. (Maybe. Too early to really know for sure.)

Uh huh. Mk. 

Do you think audiences are justified for reacting that way?Seems like it was short sighted to ignore EoT just because it's another Tom Cruise sci-fi flick.

Nobody said audiences are rational.

Tom Cruise has done quite a few movies over the past couple years and it dilutes his brand. Making two sci fi films within a year does not help, especially when the quality has been hit and miss comparatively to his glory years.

• Like 4