pepsa

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies OS Thread | 700M OS passed

so Im finally quit celebrating & guys! 

someone is STILL saying that the OS run is bad???  :blink:

considering the drop in echange rates its AMAZING! 

1 bil last year would have been 100% guaranteed with this # of admissions.

Hopefully that someday admissions will be the way the success of the movies  will be measured by. 

We were brothers in arms in regards to Hobbit. However, i can't follow you to that cesspool of mediocre fluff, that are Marvel superheroes.

I hope USD gets even stronger next year.   

nah marvel is a inoffensive lovely fare with good actors (well im still in denial about cucumber :P)

but I def cant be as excited about AOU as i was about LOTR & TH due to the great source material & general epicness

srsly I dont see anything that can be as exciting as following this  :(

They need to get a GoT movie going!!

OK, I have been following these forums and some of the contributors for a long time, probably since the mojo days. I rarely see any posts about Turkey but I thought I could provide some insight to the numbers there myself. LOTR was the reason I started following box office numbers so I feel kind of obligated to do this now 
BOTFA has recently broken a few foreign film records in the Turkish market. It was the first ever Middle Earth film to open on a Wednesday and it broke the opening Wednesday record with 109,000 tickets. Despite opening on Wednesday, it also broke the opening weekend record with 439,596 tickets sold. After 2 full weeks in cinemas plus the opening Wednesday and Thursday, its current tally stands at 1,281,516 tickets sold. It has already passed the first two films as well as ROTK and is sure to surpass TTT as well. It will probably finish its run with around 1,600,000 tickets so I believe FOTR will remain as the most popular JRR Tolkien adaptation as it is in so many other countries.

welcome to the forums! :wub:

its always great to have 1 more Elessar  :D

Edited by Lady of Lorien
  • Like 1

4th of all time here in rub (should have passed 50 mil already in $ with last year's exchange rates)

Top 10 all-time

1.Avatar 3632.8 mln RUB   $120.29 mln

2. Pirates of The Caribbean 4 1783.2 mln RUB   $63.57 mln

3. Stalingrad 1670.3 mln RUB  $51.62 mln

4. Ice Age 4 1643.6 mln RUB    $50.07 mln

5. Hobbit 3 1617 mln RUB  $29.79 mln

10. Hobbit 2 1497.1 mln RUB  $45.45 mln

13. Hobbit 1 1366.5 mln RUB   $44.43 mln

• Like 2

4th of all time here in rub (should have passed 50 mil already in $ with last year's exchange rates)

So, $20m lower just in Russia relative to last year exchange rate... Just if Russian Ruble had been like last year, 1 billion would have been accomplished. What a bad luck. With TF4 exchange rates, Hobbit would win the 2014 WW crown.

• Like 1

So, $20m lower just in Russia relative to last year exchange rate... Just if Russian Ruble had been like last year, 1 billion would have been accomplished. What a bad luck. With TF4 exchange rates, Hobbit would win the 2014 WW crown.

The Euro also fell a lot :(

US $1.37 = 1 Euro when DoS opened in 2013

US $1.18 = 1 Euro now

• Like 1

As far as i know the main reason for that is the strong USD (except for Russia, where the Ruble is on a downward spirale due to economic crysis) so it should be having an effect everywhere (to varying degree).

Edited by Elessar

I have made some calculations. Obviously, they are not very exact, just estimations, of what would be the WW numbers of the biggest movies ever with current exchange rates. I have not adjusted for inflation or applied 3D. Just exchange rates of some main markets (Eurozone, UK, Australia, Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Russia and South Korea). I have taken the BOM figures for each film and I have extrapolated the average change in those 9 markets to get the totals. In most of the films, these 9 markets (eurozone is a single market) mean between 70 and 80% of the total OS number. We have this:

1. Avatar - 2.537 billion

2. Titanic - 2.203 b

3. The Avengers - 1.427 b

4. Frozen - 1.176 b

5. Deathly Hallows II - 1.172 b

6. Iron Man 3 - 1.145 b

7. Harry Potter 1 - 1.093 b

8. The Return of the King - 1.080 b

9. The Phantom Menace - 1.066 b

10. Skyfall - 1.038 b

11. The Dark Knight Rises - 1.038 b

12. Transformers 4 - 1.032 b

13. Transformers 3 - 1.032 b

14. Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - 1.001 b

15. Jurassic Park - 1.001 b

16. The Fellowship of the Ring - 1.000 billion

17. Toy Story 3 - 999 million

18. The Two Towers - 987

19. Harry Potter 2 - 939

20. Finding Nemo - 937

21. The Hobbit I - 931

22. Alice in Wonderland - 928

23. Despicable me 2 - 919

24. The Dark Knight - 901

25. Shrek 2 - 900

26. Harry Potter 4 - 888

27. The Hobbit II - 887

28. Pirates of the Caribbean 4 - 885

29. Pirates of the Caribbean 3 - 877

30. Harry Potter 5 - 872

31. Harry Potter 7 - 867

32. Harry Potter 6 - 864

33. Revenge of the Sith - 831

34. Ice Age 4 - 826

35. Catching Fire - 821

36. Ice Age 3 - 787

37. Harry Potter 3 - 770

There are not data of The Lion King. I have not done every movie. It is quite tedious. I could include more films later. For example, I do not know if HP3 would rank #37 since there are films like Inception, TF2 or Shrek 3 that I have not calculated. I will try to complete later.

Please, do not take these numbers too seriously. It is just a collection of some quick calculations, with probably quite errors, but I think they give a photo of how would be this list applying current exchange rates.

I have used this page to get the exchange rates (http://www.oanda.com/lang/es/currency/historical-rates/)

Edit: With these data, asuming a final number for BOFA of 960-970 and taking today exchange rates, it would be the biggest movie of the trilogy.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 8

This is actually pretty interesting. It helps show how big some past films were OS. For example, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone being immensely popular, and almost on par with Deathly Hallows Part 2.

I also find Fellowship of the Ring vs. Two Towers intriguing. It seems that admissions for Two Towers dropped from Fellowship in quite a few OS markets, the complete reverse of what happened in domestically. Why did that happen, I wonder?

Edited by TServo2049

This is actually pretty interesting. It helps show how big some past films were OS. For example, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone being immensely popular, and almost on par with Deathly Hallows Part 2.

I also find Fellowship of the Ring vs. Two Towers intriguing. It seems that admissions for Two Towers dropped from Fellowship in quite a few OS markets, the complete reverse of what happened in domestically. Why did that happen, I wonder?

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone wasn't almost on par with Deathly Hallows Part 2, it was FAR above it. According to Lumiere admission records

The first Potter sold over 57 million tickets in Europe alone while the last potter was around 37 million.

The KEY words Peludo said in his post are the following:

I have not adjusted for inflation or applied 3D.

That's why Titanic is below Avatar, when if he actually adjusted for inflation and 3D, then Titanic would literally crush Avatar (and I'm a fan of both).

A great resource site to go to if you want to see admission numbers for films going back over 20 years is http://lumiere.obs.coe.int/web/search/

Just type the name of the film or film series and you can see their total admission numbers (European countries and US). 

Edited by sensui
  • Like 1

I have made some calculations. Obviously, they are not very exact, just estimations, of what would be the WW numbers of the biggest movies ever with current exchange rates. I have not adjusted for inflation or applied 3D. Just exchange rates of some main markets (Eurozone, UK, Australia, Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Russia and South Korea). I have taken the BOM figures for each film and I have extrapolated the average change in those 9 markets to get the totals. In most of the films, these 9 markets (eurozone is a single market) mean between 70 and 80% of the total OS number. We have this:

1. Avatar - 2.537 billion

2. Titanic - 2.203 b

3. The Avengers - 1.427 b

4. Frozen - 1.176 b

5. Deathly Hallows II - 1.172 b

6. Iron Man 3 - 1.145 b

7. Harry Potter 1 - 1.093 b

8. The Return of the King - 1.080 b

9. The Phantom Menace - 1.066 b

10. Skyfall - 1.038 b

11. The Dark Knight Rises - 1.038 b

12. Transformers 4 - 1.032 b

13. Transformers 3 - 1.032 b

14. Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - 1.001 b

15. Jurassic Park - 1.001 b

16. The Fellowship of the Ring - 1.000 billion

17. Toy Story 3 - 999 million

18. The Two Towers - 987

19. Harry Potter 2 - 939

20. Finding Nemo - 937

21. The Hobbit I - 931

22. Alice in Wonderland - 928

23. Despicable me 2 - 919

24. The Dark Knight - 901

25. Shrek 2 - 900

26. Harry Potter 4 - 888

27. The Hobbit II - 887

28. Pirates of the Caribbean 4 - 885

29. Pirates of the Caribbean 3 - 877

30. Harry Potter 5 - 872

31. Harry Potter 7 - 867

32. Harry Potter 6 - 864

33. Revenge of the Sith - 831

34. Ice Age 4 - 826

35. Catching Fire - 821

36. Ice Age 3 - 787

37. Harry Potter 3 - 770

There are not data of The Lion King. I have not done every movie. It is quite tedious. I could include more films later. For example, I do not know if HP3 would rank #37 since there are films like Inception, TF2 or Shrek 3 that I have not calculated. I will try to complete later.

Please, do not take these numbers too seriously. It is just a collection of some quick calculations, with probably quite errors, but I think they give a photo of how would be this list applying current exchange rates.

I have used this page to get the exchange rates (http://www.oanda.com/lang/es/currency/historical-rates/)

Edit: With these data, asuming a final number for BOFA of 960-970 and taking today exchange rates, it would be the biggest movie of the trilogy.

Good post!

peludo, you have way too much time on your hands. :lol:

During a looong time, when I was trying to predict Hobbit's grosses in every country before AUJ's release (a very successful prediction as you know :P), I stored a lot of data. This post took me about 20 minutes, no more.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

In fact, as sensui said, HP1 sold way more admissions than DH2. In Spain, HP1 sold 6.3 million and DH2 2.3 million admissions (although I know that Spain is not maybe a very good example).

Concerning LOTR, Fellowship of the Ring sold more admissions in many countries than the other two. Here in Spain, is the biggest seller with 7 million. But it was deeply hurted because of exchange rates. Today 1€=1.18$. During Christmas 2001, 1€=0.9$. The same apply to HP1. Both movies should rank quite higher in WW list.

It is not that FOTR was different to other movies (here, TTT dropped just a 9% in admissions and ROTK a mere 3% relative to FOTR). The event film was the whole trilogy. But in terms of dollars the difference is enormous. The ranking of the trilogy in Spain is different if you take €, $ or admissions:

€: ROTK > FOTR > TTT

$: ROTK > TTT > FOTR

adm: FOTR > ROTK > TTT

Lumiere web is a very good reference as people have said for European admissions.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1