#ED

Wknd Est: TLM2 - 30M, 22JS - 29M, HTTYD - 25.3M, JB - 13.5, [DOFP - 6.2M]

I concede that Maleficent may win the summer. Good job Disney, Jolie fans etc etc. I don't like it, but time to close that chapter now. Just showing bloody strong legs so somebody must be enjoying it.

The marketing was very good. The movie never fell off the radar since the moment that first picture of Jolie as Maleficent was released (exactly two years ago). Disney created some real anticipation for Angelina's comeback. At least, that's how I feel.

I think its going to be close between DOFP and Mal. But something gonna break out and gross over 250M. I think TF4 is the only one left and it will probably do it. Apes could go either way though based on this summer run I dont see it gross that much. It will probably do between 150-200M. Otherwise I dont see anything grossing even 200M

Although I think it's unlikely, it's certainly possible that GOTG breaks out big and passes that mark. Otherwise, I think Apes should do it because July is pretty empty.

• Like 1

The marketing was very good. The movie never fell off the radar since the moment that first picture of Jolie as Maleficent was released (exactly two years ago). Disney created some real anticipation for Angelina's comeback. At least, that's how I feel.

Plus they used Jolie's cross-gender cross-generational pull. People laughed that Malf was the official NBA sponor and had the ads during the games and whatever, but I thought it was clever. Audience was well mixed between women/men and ages. It's why all the "Dragon, Fault will kill it!" predictions flopped, no 1 single movie targeting specific audience could hurt it.

But I don't see how could it make more money than DOFP.

Edited by BobbyJohn
  • Like 1

Because I hate cash grab low budget movies involving artist.

But you like cash grab, product placement, merchandise commerical big budget movies...?Because Sears, IHOP, Nikon, 7Eleven, CNN, Nokia, and Budweiser in MOS is total coincidence. And execs didnt think the movie was a good excuse to sell some toys and blankets.
  • Like 1

QFTT

The saga continues.  When we last left our little story LEGO had pulled ahead after WB revised it's early estimate of $225k - after Disney reported an actual that put CAP in front and ahead by 4k - up to $241k and up thereby taking the lead by about $10k.

But something interesting happened sometime over the week as WB continued to report dailies and pulled more in front while Disney didn't deign to count and report such low sums -  WB under cover of night - revised it's w/e actuals once again - down to $227k which means CA2 was actually ahead last w/e though denied it'd day at the top.

20 15 Captain America: The Winter Soldier BV $274,842 -34.1% 223 -94 $1,232 $256,334,467 $170 11

24 18 The LEGO Movie WB $227,240 -21.1% 301 +27 $755 $256,330,271 $60 19

Alas we'll have to wait until Sunday to see what further intrigue and shenanigans WB has up it's sleeve.  Tune in tomorrow for As The Snail Races.

Too bad this is happening with such miniscule numbers, because it deserves more attention :P. It's kind of hilarious and so very petty. It's also possibly more ridiculous than Transformers being Puerto Rico'd over 200m.

• Like 1