#ED

Wknd Est: TLM2 - 30M, 22JS - 29M, HTTYD - 25.3M, JB - 13.5, [DOFP - 6.2M]

That does get me thinking, if you were an actor would you take sustained success or have one giant hit then fade into obscurity.  I mean take someone like David Schwimmer from Friends.  He's been pretty much unseen since it went off the air.  Yet the money that show makes in syndication he's set for life.

Very few actors have sustained success. Sometimes there's something that just clicks or becomes lightening in a bottle.

If it was me I would take the money and be very grateful for whatever success I had even if it was fleeting.

Lost does epitomize some great things about television, with long character arcs and interesting interactions. And it did have an effort to create a consistent mythos that was something of a breath of fresh air.

But it also became apparent that they didn't really have a good clear plan. Much the same thing happened with BSG, come to think of it. So the ending doesn't feel like a good payoff for the buildup.

That's not a damning criticism, though. It's difficult to pull off something with an overarcing plot, in any medium. The difficulties of working with a large number of people compounds the problem. So the various attempts to do this on TV are pretty great, even with the problems. Babylon 5 wasn't perfect, either.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is probably the best success in this regard, but it only lasted three seasons, had shorter episodes, and still had some fluff here and there.

• Like 1

Lost does epitomize some great things about television, with long character arcs and interesting interactions. And it did have an effort to create a consistent mythos that was something of a breath of fresh air.

But it also became apparent that they didn't really have a good clear plan. Much the same thing happened with BSG, come to think of it. So the ending doesn't feel like a good payoff for the buildup.

That's not a damning criticism, though. It's difficult to pull off something with an overarcing plot, in any medium. The difficulties of working with a large number of people compounds the problem. So the various attempts to do this on TV are pretty great, even with the problems. Babylon 5 wasn't perfect, either.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is probably the best success in this regard, but it only lasted three seasons, had shorter episodes, and still had some fluff here and there.

yeah Avatar did a really good job with the the over arching plot and I really got the sense that it was planned out. But It's probably easier with animation to do that. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

yeah Avatar did a really good job with the the over arching plot and I really got the sense that it was planned out. But It's probably easier with animation to do that. 

Yes, you can roll with unexpected changes to your cast more easily, by recasting, if needed.

I just saw that viewership is up 26% from the last WC and 116% since 2006.  I wasn't sure if that was in the US or Worldwide.

The thing to remember about soccer veiwership in the US is that it isn't like other tv viewership. Most tv ratings and viewer numbers are heavily skewed towards older viewers (for example, all the old folks who watch NCIS), but soccer skews younger, more male, and slightly urban. Which would be the prime audience for something like 22 JS or EOT.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2014/news/article/2014/06/23/world-cup-usa-portugal-was-highest-rated-world-cup-match-ever-espn

On Monday morning, ESPN announced that the match did a 9.1 overnight rating, the highest ever for a World Cup match on ESPN or ESPN2. This tops the 6.3 rating that the USA-Ghana match drew last week.

Mike Humes@MikeHumesESPNFollow

top 5 markets for USA-Portugal: DC (13.3), Columbus (12.6), NY (12.5), Boston (11.5) & Hartford/New Haven (11.3)

Note: I believe that rating for the US World Cup game only include the english language broadcast on ESPN. Another 5 million or so probably watched the spanish-language broadcast on Univision.

• Like 4

[*]

MALEFICENT took in $12.91M this weekend. Domestic total now stands at $185.88M. #Maleficent

[*]

HOW TO TRAIN YOU DRAGON 2 took in $24.72M this weekend. Domestic total now stands at $94.59M. #HowToTrainYourDragon2

[*]

22 JUMP STREET took in $27.46M this weekend. Domestic total now stands at $109.91M. #22JumpStreet

[*]

JERSEY BOYS opened with $13.32M this weekend. #JerseyBoys

[*]

THINK LIKE A MAN TOO opened with $29.24M this weekend. #ThinkLikeAManToo

There is no point in trying to justify Dragon's numbers anymore. A 50% drop on a dead box office weekend, when TS3 dropped 46% with an opening nearly 2.5 times as big and slight competition for Grown Ups, is just awful.

Also, 22 Jump Street plummeted from estimates again. Fuck this weekend.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1