CJohn

Weekend Estimates | TF4 - 100M (Paramount sticking to 100M for the Wknd Est)| More Numbers on Page 1

Yeah, but why would they see TASM2? I didn't think that movie had great marketing. It made the movie look really bad and the movie itself wasn't much better. Is it just all of these franchises have their built in base that will lap up everything?

Well, shit man...this is what happens with movies ALL THE FUCKING TIME. TASM2, Maleficent, you name it. Sometimes good movies flop and bad movies are hits. And most of the time, release date has shit all to do with it. You just need to get over that fact of box office life.

The Alexander Skarsgard Tarzan movie is gonna be one hell of a flop. The rest is basically a copy/paste of this summer

I still can't believe that is actually getting made. Maybe they will cancel it after they see Pan bomb next Summer?

Hopefully they dont get lazy with the advertising and don't open up against an R rated comedy.

Well, it's not like Pixar releases haven't gone up against R-rated movies (or on generally busy weekends) and still they delivered the big numbers.

Well, it's not like Pixar releases haven't gone up against R-rated movies (or on generally busy weekends) and still they delivered the big numbers.

Yeah, but I was mostly referencing KFP2 and HTTYD2.

If BvS ends up grossing 240-260M I won't be surprised. It if grosses 400M, I won't be surprised either. We are 2 years away from that thing, ffs.

• Like 1

I still can't believe that is actually getting made. Maybe they will cancel it after they see Pan bomb next Summer?

Pan's got a cool cast and crew, Tarzan - Skarsgard (Not even Stellar Stellan) and Yates lmao, it must flop.

• Like 1

Deadline: 

As it stands now, Transformers: Age of Extinction is looking like a $36M today on track for a $93M to $95M for the three-day gross. As it is still early in the run, we must see tonight how the rest of the day looks and also whether there will be a significant Friday to Saturday bump. For the moment, Transformers is just under Disney/Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier which opened to $95M for the three day after a $37M Friday (during Spring Break, mind you).  So it’ll be one of the biggest openings of the year, the question is where it will fall.  It’s likely to wedge right behind the last two Transformers, less than the last two installments did: $97.8M Dark of the Moon grossed in its three-day and behind the $108M that Revenge of the Fallen did in 2009 Captain America had the biggest opening so far this year. Quick snapshot on the other two in their sophomore frames … Jersey Boys is currently down around 77% and Think Like A Man Too down about 89%.
Edited by La Binoche

I'll watch UTS again tomorrow, maybe I'll like it the second time, who knows. It just felt more like a video installation that an actual, gripping movie. It wasn't creepy enough, or weird enough, or original enough for me to get invested in it. The movie is all about the atmosphere and the atmosphere didn't work for me. 

Yeah, but I was mostly referencing KFP2 and HTTYD2.

Yes, and that's my point - Pixar have done it successfully. The two you mentioned are DW. And I think you're putting too much stock in the effect the R-rated competition had. 

I mostly can't believe Robbie agreed to be in it. She had so much promise

Well, shit man...this is what happens with movies ALL THE FUCKING TIME. TASM2, Maleficent, you name it. Sometimes good movies flop and bad movies are hits. And most of the time, release date has shit all to do with it. You just need to get over that fact of box office life.

lol, yeah I know. I've been following this for nearly a decade now.

I'm just thinking out loud and I guess quite incoherently about the psychology of what makes people want to watch a certain movie and despite good reviews from critics/audience/friends still choose to watch something with comparatively worse scores in each department. It's not like movies die on their OW but rarely do we see those underdogs really surge ahead of movies that opened much greater despite having better WOM than all of them. Of course there are demographics at play too, but good movies should be universal.

Going OT here, but look at Avatar, a perfectly average movie with average storytelling and average effects just never dying. Why?