#ED

Wknd #s: TF4 - 36.4M | Tam - 21.2M (32.9M) | DUFE - 9.5M (15M) | ETE - 8.3M (13.5M) | pg49 (We love the 90s/70s)

If we had Transformers with real characters, plus human support from, say, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jennifer Lawrence and Idris Elba, these movies might not have fucking sucked.

Agreed.  Michael Bay has always been terrible at writing characters who weren't horribly racist/sexist caricatures or just flat out annoying/worthless on their own accord.

• Like 1

Except they don't suck. They have excellent characters. Shia was the lifeblood of the films and this fourth one is sorely missing him.

I'll give you that Shia was great in the first film and is waaaaaayyyyy better than Aaron Johnson in Godzilla.
  • Like 4

Well this will never happen because there's too much money invested into these things, but if I had infinite cash to spare, Transformers might be the perfect franchise to test this concept. Because 1) It's already established, there's no concept to prove. 2) Transformers have a lot of human characteristics as is.

I was going to add to the previous post - but 4 movies in, is there any wonder left to convey?

• Like 1

I said 'more' focus, as in more than in the previous film. At least the Autobots have personality this time around.

And I'd say Optimus was treated more like the main character than Cade was.

I'll agree with this. Optimus, Bumblebee, and Hound were probably the highlights IMO.

Though I am a fan of Wahlberg overall so if there is a human lead character I'm glad it's him.

• Like 4

In the cartoons/comics the Transformers themselves had larger than life personalities that made them fun to watch.Their personalities were so human-like you didn't need too many human characters.It's not rocket science, you give the robots human-like attributes (arrogance, fear, loyalty, jealousy, etc).It should be just as entertaining watching them interact socially as it is to watch them fight.

• Like 4

Another thought - would the TF franchise have been better if it had been J.J. Abrams directing? Even with Shia and Megan in the leads, and Kurtzman and Orci writing?

100% no.  Bay made Transformers what it is.  

• Like 3

Agreed.  Michael Bay has always been terrible at writing characters who weren't horribly racist/sexist caricatures or just flat out annoying/worthless on their own accord.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Well this will never happen because there's too much money invested into these things, but if I had infinite cash to spare, Transformers might be the perfect franchise to test this concept. Because 1) It's already established, there's no concept to prove. 2) Transformers have a lot of human characteristics as is.

Or you could try it with Star Wars. Imagine a whole trilogy of Star Wars movies without an audience surrogate character, heck imagine if they didn't even have a clear protagonist. That'd be a trip

• Like 1

A continent named by a German geographer after an Italian explorer

And it means....a whale's vagina.  

• Like 1

Call it Edge of Godzilla

Call it Godzilla. Die. Repeat.

The test of the double feature is to see if anybody can make it through the entirety of Godzilla.

I actually liked it quite a bit.

• Like 3

Another thought - would the TF franchise have been better if it had been J.J. Abrams directing? Even with Shia and Megan in the leads, and Kurtzman and Orci writing?

Yes, while Abrahms is not my favorite director, he'd easily produce a more competent film than the low-grade Roland Emmerich ever did.

• Like 1

Or you could try it with Star Wars. Imagine a whole trilogy of Star Wars movies without an audience surrogate character, heck imagine if they didn't even have a clear protagonist. That'd be a trip

Kit Fisto as the protagonist, I'd be down.

• Like 4

Call it Godzilla. Die. Repeat. The test of the double feature is to see if anybody can make it through the entirety of Godzilla. 

I actually liked it quite a bit.

Godzilla is the worst film of the Summer.Then it's Malificent.
  • Like 1

What's America?

A story that questions the relevance of many of America's social and economic mistakes and questions the intentions of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton in its fight to restore an America of several centuries ago.

• Like 1

Godzilla is the worst film of the Summer.Then it's Malificent.

No. It's Transformers.

Godzilla is probably my third/fourth favorite this Summer.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1