#ED

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (2014)

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

Which brings me to a question I'm sure a few diehards here could answer regarding the Simian Flu that nearly wiped out all of humanity. Did the rampant spread of said Simian Flu increase the intelligence of all apes worldwide? Do pockets of intelligent apes exist in every continent now? Or, were only the apes that Caesar subjected to copious amounts of James Franco's 113 concoction affected?

On a separate note, I assumed the footage Brian Cox and Co. watched near the end of Rise in which Caesar spoke and smartly disposed of Malfoy, the guy they tossed in the cell that witnessed Caesar speaking and the craftiness of the apes first hand, the workers at the lab, the intelligent attack of the apes on the bridge witness by many humans, etc. would gone viral more quickly than the disease itself. I was confused as to why people were shocked at the intelligence of the apes in Dawn. I imagine it would be legend ten years later. I thought everyone would know. I thought people would have a general idea of the woods to which they fled too.

It's likely I missed something. Maybe it was explained?

My take is that the intelligent apes are only in the SF area.    The Simian Flu did spread worldwide, but I doubt apes were coming into contact with people all over the world to be exposed to it.   ..Not to mention that I don't even know if the virus can effect the apes in "reverse" like that.

As for underestimating the apes, that sounds typical to me.   People tend to have an ego.   Most will continue to assume the apes are less intelligent than they are no matter what.   For instance....Europeans underestimating the intelligence of American Indians.  I would expect people to scoff at the idea of apes being as smart as they are until they actually see it in person.

Edited by Harpospoke

My take is that the intelligent apes are only in the SF area. The Simian Flu did spread worldwide, but I doubt apes were coming into contact with people all over the world to be exposed to it. ..Not to mention that I don't even know if the virus can effect the apes in "reverse" like that.As for underestimating the apes, that sounds typical to me. People tend to have an ego. Most will continue to assume the apes are less intelligent than they are no matter what. For instance....Europeans underestimating the intelligence of American Indians. I would expect people to scoff at the idea of apes being as smart as they are until they actually see it in person.

I agree with your initial take which seemingly would make it almost too easy to wipe out all of intelligent ape culture if necessary. Part of me hopes we're both very wrong though and this warship is crawling with apes when it arrives.I can't believe that everyone wouldn't know apes could talk once the footage leaked from the Cox's place where Caesar screamed "No" or the baffled survivor locked in the cage got word out. Maybe he died too quickly of the disease. I just thought people wouldn't be shocked given the ending of Rise. Figured word would be out... I mean, that and the disease would make for the biggest news item worldwide. Didn't actually bother me as much as it surprised me. Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

I think the intelligent apes are only Caesar's community. General viral mutation factors makes it very unlikely that the Simian Flu would be able to transmit back to apes in a way near its original form that caused the permanent intelligence boost.

It's an easy out for the writers, but it's also scientifically implausible.

• Like 2

I think the intelligent apes are only Caesar's community. General viral mutation factors makes it very unlikely that the Simian Flu would be able to transmit back to apes in a way near its original form that caused the permanent intelligence boost.

It's an easy out for the writers, but it's also scientifically implausible.

That's what I think too.

It's an easy out for the writers,  but it's also scientifically implausible

So are talking apes....

• Like 1

So are talking apes....

But ape neuroscience and genetic evolution are entirely different fields of science than virology/epidemiology. There's no mandate that if you take license in one bit you must flaunt science in all regards.

Edited by 4815162342

The only homage that didn't work for me in Rise was the 'madhouse' one. The 'damn dirty ape' line worked because everyone giggled and then stfu only a few seconds later.

Exactly…The damn dirty ape line is fine in Rise because it's followed up by the best line and goosebumps part immediately afterwards with the NOOO! 

And after seeing Dawn again, it may be my favorite blockbuster of the summer.  

It's sad really that one of the worst summers at the box office is one of the best quality wise…Captain America 2, TASM2, Godzilla, Xmen, Apes, Edge of Tomorrow, Dragon2, 22 Jump, Guardians…and then smaller releases like Chef and Boyhood.  Even if a lot of those aren't your favorites (TASM2 and Godzilla most mixed I guess), overall it's been an great quality summer.

Edited by FTF
  • Like 2

Such a great film. From a technical standpoint its flawless. Excellent cinematography, set designs and CGI. But the thing that makes it so special is the devotion of the filmmakers to create characters, make the audience understand them and their conflicts and tell a seemingly simple but very complicated at the same time story. I loved its anti-war and humanitarian messages and the way they were presented. And most importantly it was the first time in years in a big blockbuster film were the huge action scenes that happen didn't have me excited but anxious since i couldn't choose a side and every death that happend felt real and painful. It really made you feel that war is painful and never something to take lightly.

Sure the human characters were a bit thin and i don't think the movie gives a perfect resolution but still a great and pretty unique film.

• Like 1

don't get me wrong the movie was good i gave it a B  and i'll say why 

alas i felt like this was like watching dumb and dumber ape version , casear himself sums it up 'i thought apes better than human but we're just alike" not sure exact quote but basic idea they're no better than them making same dumb mistakes due to mistrust and miscommunication 

his kid oh my growing pains i guess , didnt listen to his father preferred to listen to koba and now look "i messed up Pa!"

i get this is dawn , and def wondering where the sequel will go because i have vague recollection of apes being super smart well there was that ape lady who was a scientist in the old films , but i guess they do a good enough job of showing you the apes were in the woods until humans came and this is what brought them to the city .

i get koba mistrust but he should have listened to casear, after all he did for him he should have put more faith in his trust of him than his fear of humans

• Like 2

I don't understand why characters making bad decisions is a knock against the movie. Misunderstanding and characters making bad decisions are what make tragedies run. 

Still the best blockbuster of the summer for me. 

Edited by Wormhole
  • Like 2

i guess the way i see it however tragic human decimation is , i'd hope even if its apes that evolution 

fuckkkk my post got sucked into a black hole ughhhh and only that first line survived 

what the frak was i saying ..

hmm anyway ..............

shorter version: what i sometimes find frustrating is how they have characters do stuff to move action forward , all the time you see a society built around wise casear where everything runs smoothly until an outside element brings change and/or disrupts the happy balance they had and suddenly you have people reacting illogically on both sides , which had me thinking oh this is what happens when dumb meets dumber despite the best behaviour put forth by more prevailing minds that can see a possible road for peace amidst the bubbling chaos ready to blow off at the slightest whiff which is exactly what ends up happening 

sometimes a succession of "give me a break " moments is just too much for me and drive me up a wall and i sigh a lot , depends on the movie sometimes you give that stuff a pass others its a deal breaker

imo you ought to exhaust all avenues for peace first before using excessive force of course that doesnt work well in movie format where you want action and drama eh 

alas too often this is exactly what happens in real life too a succession of mistrust and miscommunications and unwillingness to see past the other's seemingly threatening otherness !

Edited by LadyEvenstar22
  • Like 1

FINALLY I saw it... great this did not go for being "bad-ass" and "fun" bt deliberately build up some tension of the really dark kind.

Overall liked it very much, though the human characters and the acting is a flaw imho. I simply got annoyed when the movie cut to the human characters and the movie felt a bit uneven in the episodes during which they tried to build them up more (I found the quasi-family trio really bad and almost cringe-worthy).

CGI is amazing, as is he overall look of the movie.

Serkis has to win an Oscar during his lifetime... It is a shame he never got one for Gollum for whose creation he was imho even more decisive... maybe for Caesar.

The duel between Koba and Caesar was great, though Koba's intigue and development was a bit predictable.

Overall it wasn't the masterpiece it almost could have been.... but still one of the best movies of 2014.

B+

I saw it and it was like the inverse version of those native vs white man movies but very interesting.

I would have like to see a movie about seeing human society collapsing as well. 

I am a bit confused if it was the FLU how could it have destroyed human civilization? 

I couldn't get into it. The actors were all expendable. Gary Oldman took me out of the movie so many times. They had the right idea, just wrong execution and direction. It felt like a 'B-line' from Ape city to Human city instead of a sprawling landscape.

The visit to ceasars old house was forced and cheesy. Opening a Sony Handycam sitting there for 10 years that was queued up with James Franco on the non-dusty 3" screen was forced.

The movie tries so hard to connect us to sympathy and nostalgia from the previous movie about ceasar as a lab ape, but it wasn't working, the dark undertones were set from the beginning.

Koba was the villian, Ceasar was the typical ... strong hero ... get's injured ... doubt ... kicks villians but.

I was hoping the movie would get more light when the ceasar had healed slightly and the ape prisoners that got out of the bus .... especially the orangutang ... would make a perfect team to take back the tower ... but it was just a ceaser fight.

Not my cup of tea.