#ED

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (2014)

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

My man Maurice learning to read and teaching the baby apes.  :wub:  Maurice speaking.  :wub: Maurice being a pacifist and loyal to Caesar but helping to knock that bus down when shit got real.  :wub: Maurice chilling with Caesar talking about life back in 'nam.  :wub:

Maurice getting shot.  :angry: They did do a great job of helping us see where Koba was coming from but once he shot Maurice he had to go.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 15

I don't like how manipulative this film is, I mean we see a lot Apes dying in the battle with dramatic music, and yet we barely see any human loss.

Saw it for a second time today. Disagree with this.

Koba shooting the guards. The tank shot. Dreyfus ducking for cover and seeing the kid dead. Humans struggling as apes carry them away when Malcolm went back for the surgical equipment. 

As for the two guys with Malcolm, I just assumed the apes killed them. Didn't think it was important at all. 

And as for the "there's no one to root for" argument: isn't that the point? You don't simply root for the apes or for the humans. You see that the two sides both have "humanity" within them and root for them to find peace, which is what makes the movie so tense and the action so impactful. Rooting for the apes at times doesn't mean you're rooting for humans to be put in cages.

• Like 2

he was trying to protect himself and his fellow apes.

Ultimately Koba was seeking revenge, and the Apes leader position came as a bonus. if he cared so much for his fellow Apes, why would he kill that Ape the refused to kill a human?

There was nothing to be sympathized about.

• Like 2

Just got back...

Fantastic movie!

The best thing about it... no stupid, pointless comedy moments.

No "cute" references to previous Apes installments, no stale pop culture references like calling Koba "Scarface/Al Pacino" or other such nonsense. No Wink, wink, nudge, nudge crap.

The closest thing to brevity seen throughout the film is

"The Weight" playing at a 7/11

It took an admittedly absurd concept, grounded it, and made it work by giving the story and characters the proper amount of seriousness they warranted, and was all the better for it.

One of the best post-Nolan Batman films to truly get it right!

• Like 6

My man Maurice learning to read and teaching the baby apes.  :wub:  Maurice speaking.  :wub: Maurice being a pacifist and loyal to Caesar but helping to knock that bus down when shit got real.  :wub: Maurice chilling with Caesar talking about life back in 'nam.  :wub:

Maurice getting shot.  :angry: They did do a great job of helping us see where Koba was coming from but once he shot Maurice he had to go.

That crazy old Maurice

• Like 8

My man Maurice learning to read and teaching the baby apes.  :wub:  Maurice speaking.  :wub: Maurice being a pacifist and loyal to Caesar but helping to knock that bus down when shit got real.  :wub: Maurice chilling with Caesar talking about life back in 'nam.  :wub: Maurice getting shot.  :angry: They did do a great job of helping us see where Koba was coming from but once he shot Maurice he had to go.

Best reaction and review I've seen so far.
  • Like 5

B+. Too long. None of the humans were interesting in the least so half of the human only parts could have been cut to shorten the film and tighten it up. Other than that there's nothing to complain about (I mean it was hella dark sometimes on screen but most of the time it made sense for it to be so dark so I can't even complain).

• Like 1

B+

It's a bit too long and some of the human characters came off as rather stock-like, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. The four main leads (Kebbell, Serkis, Clarke, Russell) are all solid, and I liked that the central conflict was presented in a complex manner, rather than being another black and white/good vs. evil spectacle. 

• Like 2

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is incredible summer blockbuster that not only has stunning and Academy Award winning visual effects but a powerfully emotional film that will make the audience tear up in many scenes. The film challenges audience's views on animal rights, war, gun control, and equality. The film's message that peace, equality, and unity are essential for a stable society/world is perfectly handled and well written. Bravo Fox! I can't wait until July 2016!!!

9.75/10

BTW big shout out to Maurice! 

Posted Image

• Like 7

Sorry, but how "isn't that the point" invalidates "no one to root for" argument?

Because the fact that it's not a black-and-white "root for the good guys to defeat the bad guys" affair is a good thing imo. The key to making a good action film is making the audience care about the characters, and this film made me care about characters on both sides of the fight. That's ambitious. It made me dread the violence, not look forward to it, like most films these days do. 

Edited by Wormhole
  • Like 3

My man Maurice learning to read and teaching the baby apes. Maurice speaking. :wub: Maurice being a pacifist and loyal to Caesar but helping to knock that bus down when shit got real. :wub: Maurice chilling with Caesar talking about life back in 'nam.

Maurice getting shot. :angry: They did do a great job of helping us see where Koba was coming from but once he shot Maurice he had to go.

^THIS. SO MUCH

I think a Maurice death would be the saddest scene to ever grace this franchise :(

Posted Image

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 4

That crazy old Maurice

Koba: Blue Eyes, I have been thinking

Blue Eyes: Not again!

Koba: Oh, I know

But I have been watching your father

And his sanity's only so-so

Now the wheels in my head have been turning, oh Blue

Since I looked at all the humans

I promised myself to look out for all apes

And right now I'm evolving a plan!

If I...

Blue Eyes: Huh?

Koba: Then we...

Blue Eyes: I don't think...

Koba: APES STRONG TOGETHER

Blue Eyes: ok

Koba: Let's go!

No one plots like Koba

Blue Eyes: Takes cheap shots like Koba

Koba: Plans to persecute popular leaders quite like Koba
Yes, I'm endlessly, wildly resourceful

Blue Eyes: As down to the depths you descend

Koba: I won't even be mildly remorseful

Both: Just as long as I (you) get what I (you) want in the end

Koba: Who has brains like Koba?

Blue Eyes: Give bloodstains like Koba?
Who can make up these endless refrains like Koba? 

Koba: And my ascension will soon be worth celebrating
My what a ape
Koba!
  • Like 4

Koba: Blue Eyes, I have been thinking

Blue Eyes: Not again!

Koba: Oh, I know

But I have been watching your father

And his sanity's only so-so

Now the wheels in my head have been turning, oh Blue

Since I looked at all the humans

I promised myself to look out for all apes

And right now I'm evolving a plan!

If I...

Blue Eyes: Huh?

Koba: Then we...

Blue Eyes: I don't think...

Koba: APES STRONG TOGETHER

Blue Eyes: ok

Koba: Let's go!

No one plots like Koba

Blue Eyes: Takes cheap shots like Koba

Koba: Plans to persecute popular leaders quite like Koba
Yes, I'm endlessly, wildly resourceful

Blue Eyes: As down to the depths you descend

Koba: I won't even be mildly remorseful

Both: Just as long as I (you) get what I (you) want in the end

Koba: Who has brains like Koba?

Blue Eyes: Give bloodstains like Koba?
Who can make up these endless refrains like Koba? 

Koba: And my ascension will soon be worth celebrating
My what a ape
Koba!

I know you like doing bullshit like this, but keep it out of the review threads man. please and thank you.

• Like 1