#ED

Boyhood (2014)

Boyhood (2014)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Boyhood (2014)

One of the cool things I realized about Boyhood is that it takes place over one of the last generations where the Internet and other such technologies weren't a substantial part of their childhood. Once it did, it seemed that Mason was already fairly mature enough, and he's even skeptical himself of these new technologies. I think that's one of the quiet themes of the movie, depicting growing up in a rapid advance towards the information age. Hell, the end credits song, "Deep Blue" by Arcade Fire, has this as its main theme, even though it's probably more critical towards the new change. 

I almost want to see another movie like this 20 years down the road just to see how new technology continues to mold our childhoods, for better or for worse.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

The people dogging on this movie baffle me, it's one of the most perfect pieces of cinema I have seen.  (And I am not saying that because I am supposed to because everyone else is saying it but because it's true)

I got the biggest dick in the world. (And I am not saying that because I am supposed to have because everyone else is saying it but because it's true)

• Like 2

Let me go
I don't wanna be your hero
I don't wanna be a big man
Just wanna fight with everyone else

Just a beautiful movie. It doesn't treat the audience like they're stupid and rather than having big revelations (sorry Jay), it gives you subtle clues throughout and lets you figure it out. Yeah the boy never cries or yells or 'becomes a man' at one specific point, we simply see the changes as we go along and by the end of the movie I kinda wanted it to go on forever (even though I really needed to pee :D).

Anyway, this kid is so much different than me, but I still loved the movie. It made me believe I was living right there with them and it made me feel both for him and for Patricia Arquette. I guess that at this point I should say how great Richard Linklater is and he truly is, to make such an experiment and make it this great, what an achievement. Both in writing and directing it's brilliant, most of the actors were great too. Just give this movie a bunch of nominations, Oscar. Thanks.

Oh, and regarding the time changes, wasn't it pretty obvious looking at his haircut? Seriously, super obvious.

10/10

Also, thanks Croatia for not getting this film in the theaters and making me wait four months so that I can download it and not give any money to anyone. Pricks.

Once scene that's really stuck with me is the one with Mason and Dad talking about the "promised" car. Parents always say stuff like that to sound cute and to motivate their kids to mature, but they remember that and they'll hold it against you if they're ever feeling particularly combative as a teen. 

I have watched the movie twice and both times I had the exact same experience. The first two hours I was interested and the movie runs smoothly even though it has no plot and you don't exactly have any sunspense what will happen next. And then in the final 30 minutes it just hits you pretty much like no movie has done before. I think I was overwhelmed from the moment Mason drives back to his graduation party until after the end credits rolled. 

I knew about the project existence for years and I always thought it would be built around the milestones in the protagonist's life. First beer, first kiss, first time he has sex etc. It was just the only way the movie made sense to me. But I love that it's nothing like that and I don't think it would be as powerful if it went from milestone to milestone. The fact that there are no "big" moments makes all the small moments add up to something greater. You don't feel like you watched the "greatest hits"  but like you saw his whole childhood even though it was just scattered moments here and there. 

I'm not ready to send my kid to college even though I don't have one :lol: .

• Like 3

I think this movie is very interesting and Hawke is pretty spectacular and it does some really excellent things with pop culture/coming-of-age stuff. Overall, I certainly enjoyed it. That said, would I be burnt at the stake if I didn't think it was the greatest film of all-time/of the year and the second coming that it's said to be? It was very good and the general conceit is very impressive and well-done, but it didn't crack my top ten of the year quite. I admire and I like it but it could have stood to lose 25 minutes. That said, it DOES have some pretty spectacular moments. I guess that I can't decide exactly WHAT my opinion is might actually be a good sign- it is like life in that way. Then again, I thought the same thing about Foxcatcher last night, so maybe Whiplash was just so good it just ruined other movies for the rest of the year >_>

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1