Ash Skywalker

Silence | Dec 23rd (Limited), January (Wide) | Trailer on Page 11

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Marty will be fine, he can direct and deliver a hit once in a while and he's a veteran so Studios will still pick up his projects. 

For a film like Silence, I suspect everyone including Marty took a pay cut. It's true it won't make money but heads aren't going to roll because of it 

There are seven production companies/entities that ponied up money. And yeah, everyone worked for cheap. From Wikipedia: 

Winkler also disclosed that the tight budget forced many of the cast and crew, including himself, to work for minimum pay: "And all the actors, Liam Neeson, Adam Driver, everybody worked for scale. Marty worked for scale, I worked for under scale. We gave back money."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

There are seven production companies/entities that ponied up money. And yeah, everyone worked for cheap. From Wikipedia: 

I think giving the presales, the budget was recouped so Paramount, Studiocanal and other distributors aren't losing too much money.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I agree. In fact, after seeing the movie, I wonder if the reason the marketing took so long to get going was because they didn't know how to market it.

I think that's one of its problems. The other is studio's insistence to release is in 2016 even though late arrival was going to backfire. It strikes me as a movie that would have benefited from festival buzz and September-October release. Slow roll out, build buzz, pick up awards, build more buzz. With late December, they were clobbered by movies that smartly built their buzz for months. Take Moonlight, for example. That's a movie that plays well only in big coastal cities but they are milking that audience with a smart release. Buzz from Telluride/Toronto + limited release + critics awards + wider release + more awards + losing some theaters but not too much to disappear + more awards + adding some theaters thanks to awards. It'll end up with 20+M when all is said and done despite zero stars and very limited appeal. But they managed to get money from every one of that limited audience. OTOH, Silence has limited appeal too but apparently even those who may have had interest in it gave up since it isn't picking up any awards. That kind of movie lives and dies on awards buzz. Silence was completely shut out.

It's another case where a movie flops because it was released at the wrong time. Studios do that all the time. Movies that could have done better with awards and at the boxoffice fail because they arrived too late in a crowded season where everyone already got their favorites and preferences. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think that's one of its problems. The other is studio's insistence to release is in 2016 even though late arrival was going to backfire. It strikes me as a movie that would have benefited from festival buzz and September-October release.

It wasn't ready to be released then.

• Like 1

So I was hoping to catch this film when it came to my area this weekend but my local regal decided to only do one showing a day at 9:10. Since Friday & Saturday are the only days of the week they have screenings past 9, they only screen the films on Friday and Saturday. That was it. They only gave it 2 chances to see a new released film. Thanks Regal. 

1 hour ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

So I was hoping to catch this film when it came to my area this weekend but my local regal decided to only do one showing a day at 9:10. Since Friday & Saturday are the only days of the week they have screenings past 9, they only screen the films on Friday and Saturday. That was it. They only gave it 2 chances to see a new released film. Thanks Regal. 

Sad to say, but that was probably more than enough for all the people who wanted to see Silence.

Watched it this weekend and I loved it. Very challenging and emotional, it's the kind of film that bugs you long after watching it. One of my favorites for the year. I totally get why this had no chance of catching with the GA; it's long, slow-paced, has an unattractive subject matter... but above all there's nothing "pleasing" it this film - outside of beautiful shots and camerawork -, it's a harrowing story, and unlike "Unbroken" there's absolutely nothing "feel good" about it. But I'm glad this movie exists. Marty is a treasure. 

That said, my Sunday afternoon show was sold out (in the third weekend of release), and this is doing quite well at the Spanish BO for a film of this nature. OS should soften the blow a bit, but I can't find any data. BOM has nothing.

Edited by Celedhring