Ash Skywalker

Silence | Dec 23rd (Limited), January (Wide) | Trailer on Page 11

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Even then, Scorsese's name goes a long way. I think the GA can still surprise us. I'm still not sure how Black Swan made over $100 million.

Hugo made $70M and that was an easier sell than this is. Anything over $50M would be incredible.

• Like 2

Hmm. Hugo was a PG children's adventure film that doubled as a whimsical, thoughtful look on the power of 1910s silent film production. It really didn't have an audience at all - way too intellectual and artsy for what kids want, but not exactly something that was gonna get the Departed/Goodfellas audience either. They're selling this as an intense drama/thriller appealing to a fairly regular adult audience. So not sure I agree with that. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

I would argue Hugo was a tougher sell than this. It was an adult film masquerading as a kids film and thereby looking entirely unappealing to both of those audiences. Yet it somehow still pulled 70m, and that "somehow" is almost certainly because it was a Scorsese film. This can do 80m+ if WOM is on the level critics seem to be. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

You can say that about almost all of his recent movies

I think Inception could have been a 200m+ movie with someone else and Django could probably be a 100m+ movie with someone else as the villain. Leo's name definately helped them both especially OS but the could have been big hits if they had let's say Christian Bale or Bradley Cooper or someone else who is an a-lister but not a megastar.

But yeah Shutter Island,Gatsby, Wolf and the Revenant wouldn't even come close to 100m without Leo.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Halba said:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/silence_2016

100% RT after SIXTEEN reviews. 159 minute epic runtime. Movie of the year

LOL, Arrival was 100% RT with well more than 16 reviews for a long time. Don't worry, negatives will come based on twitter reactions from actual critics. And Globes are today so we'll see how Silence does with them (and whether Garfield gets a nom for this or Hacksaw). 

I have to say that I'm impressed with Star Wars contingent of this movie. They have nothing roles (means no chance of nominations) but they still lost tons of weight and subdued themselves to grueling physical regime. That's commitment, when you know that there won't be personal glory for all that suffering but you do it anyway cause it's freakin Marty.