Ash Skywalker

Silence | Dec 23rd (Limited), January (Wide) | Trailer on Page 11

27 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

No wonder it isn't for AMPAS. they mostly like middlebrow and mediocre especially if such movies are about Hollywood or come with "importance" label. 

What are some extraordinary movies that didn't get nominated for Best Picture?

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It'll take much less time to name the extraordinary movies that did.

This.

For starters the following recent winners were super blah (I'm looking at Best Picture Wiki Page cause I couldn't remember otherwise):

King's Speech

The Artist

Argo

12YS

Spotlight

Haven't seen Birdman. But the rest was typical AMPAS crap. A feelgood biopic, a movie about Hollywood, another movie where Hollywood saves the day, "important" cap, another "important" crap. Birdamn is also a movie about Hollywood, go figure. 

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This.

For starters the following recent winners were super blah (I'm looking at Best Picture Wiki Page cause I couldn't remember otherwise):

King's Speech

The Artist

Argo

12YS

Spotlight

Haven't seen Birdman. But the rest was typical AMPAS crap. A feelgood biopic, a movie about Hollywood, another movie where Hollywood saves the day, "important" cap, another "important" crap. Birdamn is also a movie about Hollywood, go figure. 

I would say all those are at least good movies. Whether or not they were the best pictures from their years is up to you, but I enjoyed all of them.

• Like 1

@Jayhawk The winner and nominees should be more than 'at least good". And the problem with AMPAS taste is that their choices are generally "at least good" but not much above and that's not remarkable. Like, what was the last time that the winner really excited people, not just movie buffs and critics but everyone? ROTK? That was over a decade ago. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Everywhere I turn movie buffs are, like, shame Deadpool got DGA/PGa noms over Marty, poor Marty, blah, blah. Well, I don't feel that way. If anyone deserves sympathy that's the actors. They starved themselves for those roles and got no awards while boxoffice is Miss Sloane-level bomb. That's a serious clusterfuck that, hopefully, won't hurt their careers. But, yeah, it's sad when someone goes through such crazy physical efforts for absolutely no reward on any level. Deadpool deserves those noms. Go Reynolds, crash the party. 

35 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Really strange for Martin Scorsese to release a film with no one caring; not even film buffs

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's just an inaccessible arthouse movie, plain and simple. Most moviegoers are gonna be bored by it.

I think there's a small but relatively vocal group of people who really love it. If you read a few reviews you can find those passionate voices. 

It's very straightforward in terms of presentation. It does delve into issues that many perhaps don't want to confront, and asks questions without easy answers, so it's easy to see why it's not going to be a huge hit. But I don't think that makes it inaccessible... or even an arthouse movie.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I think there's a small but relatively vocal group of people who really love it. If you read a few reviews you can find those passionate voices. 

It's very straightforward in terms of presentation. It does delve into issues that many perhaps don't want to confront, and asks questions without easy answers, so it's easy to see why it's not going to be a huge hit. But I don't think that makes it inaccessible... or even an arthouse movie.

This reminded me of The Master in a way in that both are heavily-hyped (among a portion of the movie world) movies from filmmaking favorites not worth seeking out if you want an easy night out at the movies. The former tanked in wide release and now this is looking to follow suit.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

This reminded me of The Master in a way in that both are heavily-hyped (among a portion of the movie world) movies from filmmaking favorites not worth seeking out if you want an easy night out at the movies. The former tanked in wide release and now this is looking to follow suit.

Yes, I agree. Which of course is why the general audience isn't really jumping at the opportunity.

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

If anyone deserves sympathy that's the actors. They starved themselves for those roles and got no awards while boxoffice is Miss Sloane-level bomb. That's a serious clusterfuck that, hopefully, won't hurt their careers. But, yeah, it's sad when someone goes through such crazy physical efforts for absolutely no reward on any level. 

Their reward is working with arguably the greatest living director and participating in a movie that will still be both remembered and discovered, even if by a very small audience, when no one gives a shit about Deadpool.

• Like 6

we can't forget marketing was non-existent and the movie hasn't played in more than 51 theaters yet. before 12th it was showing in only 4 other countries. plus, reviews aren't stellar. plus it can't be denied Scorcese has a very large dude bro fanbase, which obviously wouldn't be interested in this (maybe if Dicaprio starred in it...).

Edited by Goffe

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's just an inaccessible arthouse movie, plain and simple. Most moviegoers are gonna be bored by it.

evidently there is some truth to what you say, as there are reports all over of people walking out of this. However, I don't think it is inaccessible. It is a very difficult, provocative and challenging movie, but it's not especially complicated or hard to understand. The story itself is (as Tele said above) very straightforward. this isn't some arty-farty wishy-washy film where nothing makes sense & you have to do all the work yourself.

it is a serious film and as I said there are some very complex ideas that are difficult to answer. But it really wasn't anywhere near as 'niche' or closed-off or whatever as I had heard it was. I think more people should give it a try.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Between this and Vinyl, hasn't been a great year for Marty at the bank

Marty will be fine, he can direct and deliver a hit once in a while and he's a veteran so Studios will still pick up his projects. 

7 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Their reward is working with arguably the greatest living director and participating in a movie that will still be both remembered and discovered, even if by a very small audience, when no one gives a shit about Deadpool.

For a film like Silence, I suspect everyone including Marty took a pay cut. It's true it won't make money but heads aren't going to roll because of it 

• Like 1