Ash Skywalker

Silence | Dec 23rd (Limited), January (Wide) | Trailer on Page 11

On 12/6/2016 at 5:45 PM, The Futurist said:

I am still puzzled by the scope of the success of The Revenant to be honest.

A meditative 2h30-somewhat Malickian revenge western piece yet spectacular doing franchise numbers in 2016 ?

Doing better than Tarantino at the height of his power with Django ?

Just look at the Top 20 of 2015 and tell me The Revenant is not an alien. 

I mean Wut ?

You can Di Caprio me all you want, the movie was 1 hour too long for what it had to tell and Dicaprio was not even charismatic in the movie and this is not my subjective taste, DiCaprio s snot & drool is not what I consider box office pull in any shame or form.

So I don't know, reviews were good/very good, not unanimous though, movie had some vocal detractors.

I guess Dicaprio raped by a bear story did the magic trick.

That s all I got really.

Maybe it was the Mad guy.

Maybe it was because FOX did a stunning marketing campaign for it? The final trailer was one of the best I have ever seen. Add to that the massive amount of nominations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bapi said:

Sounds like it's good but not great.

Take out Scorcese name and it wouldn't be even good. I read reviews that have just popped up and most of them are straining to like the movie. grnated, it's early but enthusiastic response this isn't.

That said, Jackie received enthusiastic response and Portman was called GOAT and yet didn't win a single critics award. You can never trust critics.

For accent fans, LOL this Indiewire quote:

It’s no secret that both Driver or Garfield aren’t Portuguese, which doesn’t necessarily matter for this English-language treatment except that each took very different approaches to the challenge. Driver adopts an odd accent that sounds like a halfway decent Javier Bardem impersonation, while Garfield seems to be trapped between British and American cadences, never quite settling on one model. Fortunately, neither man needs to talk at great length, and Driver drops out of the story relatively early.

:rofl:

Edited by Valonqar

Hmm. It sounds like Neeson's part is insignificant enough that he won't even get nominated for anything, which makes Supporting Actor even more thin. Also, Garfield's decent-but-unspectacular notices make me confident that he's getting nominated for Hacksaw Ridge instead.

Currently an 84% on metacritic.

57 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Take out Scorcese name and it wouldn't be even good. I read reviews that have just popped up and most of them are straining to like the movie. grnated, it's early but enthusiastic response this isn't.

If Scorsese name wasn't attached, it'd likely be an entirely different movie.

Edited by Fancyarcher

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It is beautiful and tough and hard to sit through.  Not seeing very much commercial appeal as it is sort of like subjecting yourself to torture in the theater.  It felt like The Revenant with all of the fun sucked out of it if that makes any sense.  

The Revenant wasn't fun though :redcapes: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It is beautiful and tough and hard to sit through.  Not seeing very much commercial appeal as it is sort of like subjecting yourself to torture in the theater.  It felt like The Revenant with all of the fun sucked out of it if that makes any sense.  

You make it sound like The Revenant was La La Land or something.

Huh, it sounds fascinating and challenging to me, and like something that only a genius like Marty could get approved and done. Just because not every review is saying "This is going to win all the Oscars and is a perfect movie!!" doesn't mean it can't be a fascinating film. But apparently, reviewers are just bought off to like his movie.