CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

Plus, I think Dragon managed to only appeal to male children and cinema freaks with its marketing, while Maleficent appealed to females as a whole (Jolie), and the entire child demo (scary/cool looking enough trailers for children to want to see it but not the point that it scares them away from it).

Actually 40% of the public is men. Angelina Jolie attracts men. And only 40% are famililies. Edited by Ajbg

I am pretty sure Maleficent is the breakout movie of the summer. People on here wanted Godzilla, Apes or GOTG. (GOTG could still breakout) because they are nerd franchise. Yes GA will see these movies but they have a huge appeal to nerds. 

• Like 1

What about Penguins?

That comes after Big Hero 6. ;)But yes, that should do big business as well, kids love the penguins. :)Ray Subers thinks it will do well also, and possibly over Dragon 2, which I think as well. Edited by Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Like 2

TTT aside, these middle, bridging films tend to not do as well as the first and last movies (especially when the book's been split in two).

True, but you could consider films like Catching Fire a bridging film and it increased from the first. 

Also, AUJ had a larger opening and had stronger legs (it was also getting a lot more fan anticipation than DoS due to it being the return) so it really should have been an exception case where it's more frontloaded than DoS.

However DoS managed to not only open to less but have shorter legs than AUJ.

AuJ had better legs than DoS, despite DoS being considered the "Better received" movie.

It's always tough for sequels. Even CA2 will end close to CA1's 2.71x. Am sure both were not received in the same way.

DoS's 3.50x is really good and not that far off from AUJ's 3.58x.

Edited by a2k

That comes after Big Hero 6. ;)But yes, that should do big business as well, kids love the penguins. :)Ray Subers thinks it will do well also, and possibly over Dragon 2, which I think as well.

Ray Subers has been horribly wrong this year, I wouldn't take his word as endorsement of any kind.
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure Maleficent is the breakout movie of the summer. People on here wanted Godzilla, Apes or GOTG. (GOTG could still breakout) because they are nerd franchise. Yes GA will see these movies but they have a huge appeal to nerds. 

Sad but true.

I can understand Maleficent's appeal even if I don't like it.

50% of the GA are females but only 20% of the movies currently showing in theatre have them as the target audience.

Out of this 20%, Maleficent is probably the most attractive of them all - it has both spectacle and the story that appeals to girls/women plus it's a kind of movie that men don't mind checking it out.

So there you go.

• Like 1

It's always tough for sequels. Even CA2 will end close to CA1's 2.71x. Am sure both were not received in the same way.

DoS's 3.50x is really good and not that far off from AUJ's 3.58x.

Difference is CA2 opened much higher than CA1, so it matching the firsts multiplier is a sign of good WoM.

DoS had a less frontloaded opening weekend and a smaller opening weekend and managed a smaller multiplier.  (Star Wars prequels may be good comparisons, so we will see if Battle of Five Armies pulls a Revenge of Sith or if it drops)

• Like 1