Olive

Weekend Numbers...pg 29 (Lucy 44M, Herc 29...big drops for most holdovers)

Honestly, I have no clue why so many people jumped on the bandwagon for Lucy doing so poorly. I just saw it and didn't think it was anything special, but there were certainly too many forms of marketing for this film to go unnoticed. It at least sparked curiosity due to a fairly interesting concept, which is always the goal of marketing. I've known about this movie for months, and I've seen plenty of people talk about it online. The whole "under $100 million total blah blah blah" rants are best saved for films nobody knows about. This film certainly has publicity and if it does, people will see it.

Edited by superduperm

Honestly, I have no clue why so many people jumped on the bandwagon for Lucy doing so poorly. I just saw it and didn't think it was anything special, but there were certainly too many forms of marketing for this film to go unnoticed. It at least sparked curiosity due to a fairly interesting concept, which is always the goal of marketing. I've known about this movie for months, and I've seen plenty of people talk about it online. The whole "under $100 million total blah blah blah" rants are best saved for films nobody knows about. This film certainly has publicity and if it does, people will see it.

Might still miss 100m due to competition. Look how much Apes dropped this weekend. Competition is a big factor nowActually it should at least crawl over it. That might be harsh Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

Honestly, I have no clue why so many people jumped on the bandwagon for Lucy doing so poorly. I just saw it and didn't think it was anything special, but there were certainly too many forms of marketing for this film to go unnoticed. It at least sparked curiosity due to a fairly interesting concept, which is always the goal of marketing. I've known about this movie for months, and I've seen plenty of people talk about it online. The whole "under $100 million total blah blah blah" rants are best saved for films nobody knows about. This film certainly has publicity and if it does, people will see

Lol they werent too bright in downplaying the power of the Scarjo after  her being so great in Captain America 2,

Iron Man 2 and especially Avengers. Not to mention she got alot of rave reviews just for her voice acting work

in the film her.. Seems her brand just got a major lift  as  Her like I said could post a 45-55+M OW :)

Go Lucy

• Like 1

Hmm, regarding Apes, and the rest of this summer to an extent...is word of mouth a dying concept at this point? 

Maleficent and Godzilla say no. It's possible the tastes of the majority of the posters here are simply not as in touch with the GA as some would like to think.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 4

Maleficent and Godzilla say no. It's possible the tastes of the majority of the posters here are simply not as in touch with the GA as some would like to think.

Maleficent is a kid's movie in many ways. Those are still going to get a 3x no matter what. And I talk to regular people about movies often. Anecdotal evidence isn't everything, but the word of mouth around me among the GA has been good for X-men, Apes, and even Transformers. 

I'm sure if WOM was bad for Apes, we'd know about it. I also just refuse to believe that based on how fucking great that movie is on every level. 

Edited by tonytr87

Maleficent is a kid's movie in many ways. Those are still going to get a 3x no matter what.

There's Tammy which might hit 4x. But X-Men, Apes, and T4 are all sequels to fanboy properties, and those are usually more front loaded.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1

Really good numbers for the openers, but the holdovers got hit hard. Apes 2 could fall more than 50% this weekend. I wonder when was the last time a "big" movie dropped more on its third weekend than on its second.

Happens all the time when more competition arrives on third weekend then on the second. TF3, Thor, Thor 2, Star Trek, Toy Story 3, ROTS, MU, Hancock, TASM all dropped harder on their third weekends.

NikkiFinke.com

1. Lucy (Universal) NEW [Runs 3173] RFriday $17.0M, Weekend $42.8M

2. Hercules (MGM/Paramount) NEW [Runs 3595] PG13Friday $11.0M, Weekend $30.2M

3. Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (Fox) Week 3 [Runs 3668] PG13Friday $4.8M, Weekend $16.5M, Cume $171.0M

4. The Purge: Anarchy (Universal) Week 2 [Runs 2856] RFriday $3.3M (-75%), Weekend $10.2M, Cume $51.6M

5. Planes: Fire and Rescue (Disney) Week 2 [Runs 3839] PGFriday $2.8M (-59%), Weekend $8.5M, Cume $35.0M

• Like 2

Fantastic for Lucy. Female lead films are doing brilliantly now. If it goes over $40m it will be only the 6th female-lead action film ever to do so. (I don't include Mr & Mrs Smith). Shame about the CinemaScore though. But do they mean anything? I dunno.Hercules cost $100m so will have to rely on intl numbers, but it didn't bomb quite as hard as I expected.