Olive

Weekend Numbers...pg 29 (Lucy 44M, Herc 29...big drops for most holdovers)

Marvel's biggest Box Office draws1. RDJ2 Scarlett Johansson3. Hemsworth ??Hemsworth should be #3 but his last non-Marvel wide release Rush lost money for the financiers so his drawing power is questionable.

I think Chris Evans is pretty much #2 now. Scar Jo shouldn't be on that list.
  • Like 1

Apes two and Cap are both so amazing, I wouldn't say one deserves yo out gross the other.No, he hasn't seen Apes yet.

It's my top 2 movies of the year so if any movies deserve to out gross Cap2 it's Apes2. But we all know B.O. never works that way. ;)

Credit where it's due - she was pretty much the only selling point of Lucy (did anyone really go for the concept or Morgan Freeman?). Whether it was a one-off remain to be seen.

I don't believe she was the main selling point. I think people were interested by the trailers and the concept.
  • Like 1

I don't believe she was the main selling point. I think people were interested by the trailers and the concept.

That may be so, but you can't discredit her involvement.  She certainly boosted the awareness of it imo.

• Like 3

Marvel's biggest Box Office draws 1. RDJ2 Scarlett Johansson3. Hemsworth ?? Hemsworth should be #3 but his last non-Marvel wide release Rush lost money for the financiers so his drawing power is questionable.

Rush lost money? $90m on a $38m budget doesn't seem too bad, especially for an Oscar film. Jeremy Renner has a much more successful non-Marvel career than Hemsworth (American Hustle, Hansel and Gretel, Bourne, MI, The Town), though I wouldn't say he's the main selling point of these movies.
  • Like 1

Credit where it's due - she was pretty much the only selling point of Lucy (did anyone really go for the concept or Morgan Freeman?). Whether it was a one-off remain to be seen.

In many comments I read people said they found the premise one of the most intriguing looking ones of the year
  • Like 1

Another underestimated weekend for Purge.

The Purge is having a great run for a 9m movie. But TFIOS is still the winner for low budget big returns. Over $250m ww on a $12m budget.

• Like 1

Box office analysis: The changing gender gap in moviegoers explains why 'Lucy' conquered 'Hercules' this weekend http://j.mp/WJurgP

Fifty percent of the audience for the Scarlett Johansson action pic was women, another summer sign that female moviegoers are taking on more power in a season once dominated by men.

Women once again proved their might at the North American box office this weekend, delivering a big win for Lucy, the Scarlett Johansson action movie that easily crushed Dwayne Johnson's Hercules, director Brett Ratner's muscle-bound take on the classic Greek hero.

• Like 1

It's my top 2 movies of the year so if any movies deserve to out gross Cap2 it's Apes2. But we all know B.O. never works that way. ;)

My top 2 as well.   I still lean toward Cap 2, but Apes was fantastic in a different way.

It's that "different way" that I think hurts its box office a bit.   I was leaning forward in my seat hanging onto every second of Apes....but I don't think teens will be that affected by it frankly.   Apes is closer to an Oscar-bait type movie than a popcorn film in my mind...not exactly a recipe for box office success.

I'm just glad it is doing better business than the first one so Reeves will get a chance to expand upon what he did in the next one.

Apes two and Cap are both so amazing, I wouldn't say one deserves yo out gross the other.No, he hasn't seen Apes yet.

Saw Apes may see Lucy today as well.. APes Rockkkkk Captain Ethan :D... Yeehaw....

:D. Proably see apes in 3D this or next week for another helping... :D

• Like 1