CJohn

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil | October 18 2019 | Now on Disney+

I really enjoyed the first maleficent movie. Angelina Jolie was perfectly cast.  In the end, it's not a "real" movie.  It's a good film to make a list of the best.  I liked it a lot.  A friend who had no idea what a fairy tale movie was before I showed him this would agree.  The story is the main attraction.  The movie is a nice little fairy tale about two teenage lovers who go to a magic fairytale castle for the weekend, only to encounter a villain named Maleficent who has a desire to destroy the fairytale.  The movie was okay.  I didn't find the villain to be terribly interesting.  I didn't laugh at or root for the protagonist, though.  The movie did have some nice and memorable moments.  

30 minutes ago, theruraljuror1121 said:

Since original forecast was 30, with this new projeciton, could this go on to match the original's nearly 70?

This is the first batch of tracking from the Trades that I know of.  That 30 forecast was from our very own Shawn over at Box Office Pro.

Checking the latest BOP forecast, this is what they currently have:

10/18/2019 Maleficent: Mistress of Evil $30,000,000 – $50,000,000 $37,000,000   $110,000,000     Disney

So this would just be at the high end of BOP's own tracking/forecasting.

===

Anyway, I just took a look at what's been sold already in Sacto and I don't see any sign of 70m at the moment.  45m to 50m looks decently plausible though.

• Thanks 1

Been looking at pics from the premiere tonight and one thing is for sure: one can never say Disney doesn't know their audience cause they had a Maleficent drag queen posing with Angelina at the first movie's premiere over 5 years ago and for this one they got her posing with at least two of them. @captainwondyful been wishing upon the right stars.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Not much in the way of reactions out there (at least when filtered by verified), but here are some. 

This first batch aren't critics, but included for a sense of the room:

besides Scott Mendelson (see last post), this is the only critic reaction I could easily find:

Might be others out there, but I didn't see them.  

Didn't see much in the way of mixed or negative reactions, though the paucity of reactions at all is a little "hmmm" worthy.

Still, seems like it has found at least some adherents.  We'll see where it goes as more reactions come in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Switching to non-verified:

Trying to stick to writers/bloggers here.

Raves:

Mixed,  but mostly positive:

====

Mid 60s to mid 70s on RT, maybe?  Be interesting if the "better than expected" phenomenon holds it above the rotten line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Mid 60s to mid 70s on RT, maybe?  Be interesting if the "better than expected" phenomenon holds it above the rotten line.

These are softer reactions than what Aladdin and Lion King got, I can't see it going higher than those

32 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Switching to non-verified:

Trying to stick to writers/bloggers here.

Raves:

Mixed,  but mostly positive:

====

Lol these are the reactions of 50 to 40 RT score. Also the fact that so many blue checked people didn’t tweet is a bad sign.