Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

I understand what they made. However, they aren't movies that should have been able to put up numbers like that against Apes. I saw Lucy and it's not a good movie IMO. I can't imagine Hercules is much better. Apes should be able to beat movies like that.

I am guessing most people thought the movie was to nerdy. One friends said lol when asked him if want to go and he sees most movies. Edited by Snoopy of Suburbia

I understand what they made. However, they aren't movies that should have been able to put up numbers like that against Apes. I saw Lucy and it's not a good movie IMO. I can't imagine Hercules is much better. Apes should be able to beat movies like that.

Of course they are. Both did it. Marketing of Lucy was fantastic. That is what drives people. Hercules has ok marketing (trailers sucked but Paramount corrected that in the TV Spots) and Dwayne is a draw. A

And what did you wanted anyway? Apes 3rd weekend to beat those 2? Apes will end way above both of them so I fail to see the problem.

Edited by CJohn

Of course they are. Both did it. Marketing of Lucy was fantastic. That is what drives people. Hercules has ok marketing (trailers sucked but Paramount corrected that in the TV Spots) and Dwayne is a draw. A

And what did you wanted anyway? Apes 3rd weekend to beat those 2? Apes will end way above both of them so I fail to see the problem.

I disagree. I think if Apes was a stronger movie, then it should have been able to beat those movies. Dex's theory is solid. I don't know if that's the reason, but there is a reason. It has more to do with Apes than it does with the competition being good.

You're looking at the results and saying clearly those movies were good enough to beat Apes. I am saying that if Apes was better, then those movies wouldn't have been able to do what they did.

I disagree. I think if Apes was a stronger movie, then it should have been able to beat those movies. Dex's theory is solid. I don't know if that's the reason, but there is a reason. It has more to do with Apes than it does with the competition being good.You're looking at the results and saying clearly those movies were good enough to beat Apes. I am saying that if Apes was better, then those movies wouldn't have been able to do what they did.

Apes had great reviews by critic and GA but like Star Trek people associated it with nerd culture and won't.

I disagree. I think if Apes was a stronger movie, then it should have been able to beat those movies. Dex's theory is solid. I don't know if that's the reason, but there is a reason. It has more to do with Apes than it does with the competition being good.

You're looking at the results and saying clearly those movies were good enough to beat Apes. I am saying that if Apes was better, then those movies wouldn't have been able to do what they did.

Lol, this kinda makes no sense. If Lucy marketing was good and people wanted to see it, what could Apes do on his 3rd weekend? Stayed flat with 36M? 

Edited by CJohn

Great OD for Guardians. But everything else in the marketplace seems to have collapsed completely.

Well, a movie is having a 40M OW. When a movie opens that high, everything else in the marketplace usually collapses. 

No, it couldn't stay flat. But it could have held a bit better than it did.

It faced 74M in competition. Yes, it could have hold better, but it is still not shocking it didn't. 

No, I think he's right. It's a smaller audience than normal.

Or movies are just not that appealing this year? I am pretty sure a movie is about to open to about 100M out of nowhere. If a movie is appealing, people will show up. 

• Like 1

Or movies are just not that appealing this year? I am pretty sure a movie is about to open to about 100M out of nowhere. If a movie is appealing, people will show up. 

Exactly, people were showing up pre-May as 2014 was tracking a good ways above 2013, nothing happened in the political/economic world to affect the industry, it was simply the industry not offering appealing enough choices.

• Like 2

It faced 74M in competition. Yes, it could have hold better, but it is still not shocking it didn't. 

I still think you're looking at it wrong. You're acting like those movies had to make $74M no matter what. And I am saying that they shouldn't have been able to make as much as they did. Against a better movie, they wouldn't have.