Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

The reviews kick ass. WOM is gonna be super strong, and since the visuals will be astonishing like the reviews suggested, is it realistic to dream about 200m DOM at this point?

I would still say no, but things are looking good so far and October is so sleezy this should have no problem with legs. It'll have Captain Phillips in week 2 and maybe 12YAS in week 3, but other than that nothing, plus awards season will help it pick back up like Argo. $200M is still a huge number and I think the concept is still a little out there to get that high, and we've been shown many times before that good reviews don't always equal good BO, but i think $130M+ is very much in play.

The trailer has all those sounds, but the actual movie does not have any sound in space.

Wait...so I know astronomy and I know theres no sound in space, but this movie will basically be a silent film when theyre not in their suits or on the SS?

I just have a feeling this will bomb hard at the box office. I'll admit I'm wrong if it doesn't. The praise here just feels awfully similar to Children of Men. Cuaron is a critical and internet darling, but so far he's been mostly a box office and general audience dud (with the exception of his Potter film, and even that was the lowest-grossing Potter film of all).

Cuaron's yet to do anything really mainstream aside from the Harry Potter film. CoM was R rated and relentlessly grim so that probably was never going to be a huge hit.

Warner surely realizes they have gold on their hands here and its release date makes it a unique moviegoing choice. I'm sure they'll be doing heavy promotion.

Edited by tribefan695

I just have a feeling this will bomb hard at the box office. I'll admit I'm wrong if it doesn't. The praise here just feels awfully similar to Children of Men. Cuaron is a critical and internet darling, but so far he's been mostly a box office and general audience dud (with the exception of his Potter film, and even that was the lowest-grossing Potter film of all).

I don't think there is a chance in hell this bombs. The word of mouth is going to be extraordinary.