Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Hmmm people might be thrown off because of 

Clooney's death during first 30 minutes of the movie

I mean sure if ( 'when' is more suitable here since its Cuaron ) the movie is great they oughta forgive it but still 

its nice that such a big star decided to do a supporting/cameo kind of role ... its probably cause its gonna be a kickass movie and he/she felt it 

Holy fucking hell.I guess they saved money by not really needed an editor.

Makes it all the harder since you don't have coverage. ;)Actually, it sounds pretty trippy the way they did it. Instead of shooting live-action and then building VFX in post to cover, they built VFX previz (like an animated film) and then shot live-action to fit. So, ass backwards, basically.
  • Like 1

Makes it all the harder since you don't have coverage. ;)Actually, it sounds pretty trippy the way they did it. Instead of shooting live-action and then building VFX in post to cover, they built VFX previz (like an animated film) and then shot live-action to fit. So, ass backwards, basically.

There was more than a little sarcasm in my post, heh.

That sounds pretty nuts, but if it works it works.

Hmmm people might be thrown off because of 

Clooney's death during first 30 minutes of the movie

I mean sure if ( 'when' is more suitable here since its Cuaron ) the movie is great they oughta forgive it but still 

its nice that such a big star decided to do a supporting/cameo kind of role ... its probably cause its gonna be a kickass movie and he/she felt it 

DAMN, I was kind of daydreaming and accidentally clicked on that spoiler button without paying attention and read the spoiler.. and now this movie is ruined for me! Ruined, I tellya!  :(

There was talk that "Cast Away' was going to be boring cause it was just Tom.  Broke the Box Office.  People were mixed on "I am Legend" cause it was Just Will.  Broke the Box Office.  "Open Water" broke the box office for it's low budget.  Think the whole "All Alone in Dangerous Circumstances with a low chance of survival" actually works.  So I think "Gravity" could do well.  Maybe not as well as the others but people are interested in survival situations.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

There was talk that "Cast Away' was going to be boring cause it was just Tom.  Broke the Box Office.  People were mixed on "I am Legend" cause it was Just Will.  Broke the Box Office.  "Open Water" broke the box office for it's low budget.  Think the whole "All Alone in Dangerous Circumstances with a low chance of survival" actually works.  So I think "Gravity" could do well.  Maybe not as well as the others but people are interested in survival situations.  

Yeah. 127 Hours too. If you have a really charismatic and engaging actor playing the subject around whom your survival movie revolves(which they have here), people will be interested. It all depends on story and treatment.

Edited by Spidey Freak

I hope this does over 100m.  I know this was made by Cauron, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's doomed for failure.  Georgy and Sandy have enough star power to generate some interest. And the trailer reminded me of the film Open Water, which I loved.  But instead of shark infested waters we're stuck in space. Looks very cool!

Also, to chime into an older conversation, Y Tu Mama Tambien is definitely the best film by Cauron.  It's so simple and perfect; a very human story.  If you haven't seen it go see it! Now! Right now! Unless your thirteen, then maybe you should find something more kid appropriate.

Edited by Mr Potter

• Founder / Operator

This looks gorgeous, and I love Cuaron, but I still need to see more before going all-out on box office potential. I've heard way too many comparisons to Open Water so far.

• Like 1

This looks gorgeous, and I love Cuaron, but I still need to see more before going all-out on box office potential. I've heard way too many comparisons to Open Water so far.

"Open Water" did a pretty good job without Starpower, 3D and amazing Visuals, you could market it with.