Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Taking "of Mars" off of the title pretty much confirmed they didn't know what to do with it.

I'm sure their own Mars Needs Moms being one of the biggest bombs ever the year prior certainly played a part in that decision. Plus they had Mission to Mars in 2000 which was also a big budget bomb for them, and their Roving Mars IMAX feature did poorly as far as those films go. So basically Disney should stay the hell away from Mars related anything. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Haha 2

Guys, I wonder why you guys would be worried about the reception of this film. Let me tick the boxes for you first 

1. It is a Disney film. 

2. It got Oprah Winfrey in it. It will get all the praises in the world from the liberal film critics.

3. It is the first time that a BLACK FEMALE director takes on a big budget blockbuster. It will get all the support from black people and females.

4. Black Panther happened. The film will timely ride on the wave. 

In conclusion, the film will get around 90% RT score, 70% at worst. MARK MY WORDS !

34 minutes ago, grim22 said:

RIP Criticism

To be fair here too, 140char tweet reaction has little (if anything to do) with criticism, arguably they are the dead of criticism not holding on them to take the time to write a longer, more thought... well do an actual critic. Specially when talking about premiere party...

Once you commit publicly to an idea you add a cost to change it and it remove one possible advantage of the embargo, not being influenced as much by the zeitgeist when making your idea/writing your review.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

In conclusion, the film will get around 90% RT score, 70% at worst. MARK MY WORDS !

That's... quite the range.  Gonna declare victory if it is 67 or 68 since you get to round up?

FWIW, I'm thinking around 70-75 with around a 6.8-7.5/10 range, myself.

But, sure, go ahead and blame those PC loving people for being shepple. I'm sure it will get you far in life.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

There is zero conspiracy implied by that person tweet (or anyone here I think).

Alright.   Preeeeeeeety sure this person is only speaking for themselves when they are speculating on supposed silence in regards to AWiT.

I mean, there are enough dodges and hedges in that statement to render it practically worthless.  In fact, I'd seen it earlier and consciously decided NOT to post it here since I felt it was far too open to misinterpretation and all it would do is fuel Bad Takes.  At most it's a self-own on the part of the critic and a sign that she is not going to give AWiT a great review when the embargo lifts.

Besides, as she said, the lack of reaction from the Hoi Polloi is far more eyebrow raising to me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Alright.   Preeeeeeeety sure this person is only speaking for themselves when they are speculating on supposed silence in regards to AWiT.

Yes but even if there would be 50 person feeling like her (prefer waiting to think about it before talking negatively about the movie, being sure about it because of some felt pressure to champion the movie), it is not a conspiracy at all, it is just a very natural and simple human reaction that require no collusion or planning by anyone.

Edited by Barnack

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Yes but even if there would be 50 person feeling like her (prefer waiting to think about it before talking negatively about the movie, being sure about it because of some felt pressure to champion the movie), it is not a conspiracy at all.

You might note I conceded that point when I rephrased my statement.

I might have been griping about all of the people on the intrawebs who are convinced that critics are paid to hate DC movies and love Disney ones though. ;)

Regardless, that tweet at most talks about that person's own conflicted feelings.  I think trying to ascribe it to other people is... Unwise.  Hence why I didn't bring it up here, despite the to point she raises about lack of general audience reactions.

As long as we're speculating, I tend to think Ava DuVernay would be a little annoyed at being 'protected' like this.  But that's as maybe, as they say.

===

If we MUST, I personally think that what might be happening here is that the movie is good enough so most people don't feel like trashing it YET on the net while not being great enough to sing its praises.  In short, a sort of 'meh'/'misgivings' and thus these complicated feelings that SOME, and I emphasize SOME MIGHT have, is something of a tie-breaker.

In short, the sort of movie some love, some think is a mess, and most think is mostly just there.  The type of film that doesn't make one rush out to Social Media to talk about it.  

Or, in other words, the type of movie that gets 70 to 75 on RT with a 6.8-7.5 out of 10.;)

tl;dr: I have yet to see anything that the actual reviews of the movie will be affected by this so-called phenomenon. 

NB to the tl;dr: And how much this actually affects the box office is... questionable. :)

I think that covers all of my thoughts on all of this. :P

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Guys, I wonder why you guys would be worried about the reception of this film. Let me tick the boxes for you first 

1. It is a Disney film. 

2. It got Oprah Winfrey in it. It will get all the praises in the world from the liberal film critics.

3. It is the first time that a BLACK FEMALE director takes on a big budget blockbuster. It will get all the support from black people and females.

4. Black Panther happened. The film will timely ride on the wave. 

Why so bitter. 

Guessing you're a straight white guy. 

I don't know why this is compared to John Carter. This has a lovable lead. I have problem with previews only when Oprah&co show up but otherwise parts with kids are appealing. OTOH, John Carter had a block of wood in the leading role, "Mars" looked exactly like Utah (they couldn't make Utah redder in post-production?) and the source material (Princess of Mars) was most famous for almost naked Princess. But that shit gave the Princess a standard Xena wannabe leather corset or something. Cameron got it right with Avatar, he created almost naked aliens, inserted nipple slips and - voila - almost 3 billion boxoffice. I guess that Disney Avatar can kiss nip slips goodbye. 

• Like 1

The advertising hasn't shown enough of the kids' acting to make a judgment either way, but besides that JC seems a pretty easy comparison to me. March release, big budget Disney adaptation of a sci fi novel made by a director riding a wave of goodwill, tracking similarly. Might not lose money with a lower budget but it definitely looks like it's in the same vein of a messy spectacle by a director in over their head.