Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

15 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Why do we allow this?  How do people not realize how shameful that is to the director/writer to coddle them and just say good job,, if not really good job.  I guess not allowed to be a 'critic' of certain media in 2018.

Making it about "white dude critics" just made me shake my head. Like, shut up. People like that are definitely guilty of stoking the fire.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Oh boy was that Time Mag cover over the top. A regular Disney fantasy movie was being treated like the most important film of the year.

I don't know how actors/directors can keep a straight face hyping a movie they know it's not that good. And getting all these covers. I guess the Disney machine is behind it and I know everybody does it in their work field, but it gotta feel strange to promote a movie on a worldwide stage when you know the film is just not gonna be loved

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It's not racist. People like you are the reason why some critics can't give this movie a rotten review if it's completely terrible, they are affraid to be marked as racists and sexists. It's a fact, you can read these barely positive reviews yourself. The real score without this biased bullshit would have been around 10% then.

You just pulled that 10% number out your ass, lol. You don’t know anything about any of the critics. So you just imagined your comment. 

Go away if you’re not interested in this movie or discussing its box office prospects/performance. 

• Like 7

*checks current RT score (AND avg)*

*posts comment without catching up with thread*

Well, crap. :(

*pauses*

Well, at least this should kill the Disney pays off the critics meme stone de...

*pauses*

*realizes if the reaction to Alice 2 didn't kill it stone dead, nothing will*

It won't even do that, will it?

Crap. :(

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

I don't know how actors/directors can keep a straight face hyping a movie they know it's not that good. And getting all these covers. I guess the Disney machine is behind it and I know everybody does it in their work field, but it gotta feel strange to promote a movie on a worldwide stage when you know the film is just not gonna be loved

It’s not like these directors and actors didn’t put in the work. Yeah, the final product might not turn out to be a crowd pleasing movie (and that’s only determined by how the movie going audience receives it), but they do work on these movies for months on end. We watch and judge the 2 hour final product or sometimes just stick to judging the 2 min teasers (both are valid), but they spend money and months filming something they want people to watch. There should be no shame in promoting the work you did when it’s not harming anyone. It’s not like getting on magazine covers and more publicity protects them from criticism.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

You just pulled that 10% number out your ass, lol. You don’t know anything about any of the critics. So you just imagined your comment.

I've actually read those positive reviews and they are not really positive, just a lot of water about Ava's intentions etc to give it at least 6/10. If you had taken away reviews like that, RT score would have been even lower. So 10% number is not "from the ass".

44 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Go away if you’re not interested in this movie or discussing its box office prospects/performance. 

I've discussed its BO prospects. It'll probably bomb, unless Oprah's star power will save it in US.

Edited by Firepower

Hyping bad projects is why actors get the big bucks. I think most would agree that part of the job is usually harder than the actual filming. I don't begrudge them doing whatever they have to to sell, sell, sell. 

That said, the Time thing really was ridiculous. That's not an EW cover. It's assuming a level of cultural relevance that wasn't earned. Black Panther earned its cover. 

• Thanks 1

Going by the target demo this one could leg it close to 3x even as a mediocre film. Reported prod budget is 103m. 35 ow and 2.85x gives 100m dom. Peter Rabbit gonna do 25m ow and 4x (59%/60% critics/audience).

• Like 1

I can understand that after BP, for AWIT be mediocre is likely a disappointment but Ava will bounce back, she's got a strong resume of films and she wouldn't be the first director to stumble when directing a blockbuster. 

For Disney, they're likely not going to give up on doing the odd live action film that isn't based on their IP or big franchises because they might strike lucky next time plus they're not spending outrageous amounts like they did on John Carter and Lone Ranger.

Critics Consensus: A Wrinkle in Time is visually gorgeous, big-hearted, and occasionally quite moving; unfortunately, it's also wildly ambitious to a fault, and often less than the sum of its classic parts.

Edited by MrGamer
  • Thanks 1

I think legs are really going to be determined by how much families embrace the movie rather than just general audience reception. 

Peter Rabbit was pretty much universally embraced by families for the past month which is why I think it did its 4x

• Like 1