filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

I really don't "get" how Turtles is doing so well but whatever. Good for the box office I suppose.

You do realize this is the 30th Anniversary of this Franchise which has had 3 Live Action Movies, an Animated Film and 4 Cartoon Series as well as comic books, clothing and toys.  I mean haven't you guys seen random kids walking around with Turtles shirts? Cause I randomly see it.  

• Like 2

Why?

It looked absolutely horrid, had no big stars, looked like it was too mature for kids and too juvenile for adults. Plus I didn't even know the franchise had much of any popularity these days. But apparently that all adds up to one of the biggest August openings. :wacko:

You do realize this is the 30th Anniversary of this Franchise which has had 3 Live Action Movies, an Animated Film and 4 Cartoon Series as well as comic books, clothing and toys.  I mean haven't you guys seen random kids walking around with Turtles shirts? Cause I randomly see it.  

Uh no. I haven't ever met or seen a kid that appeared to have any interest in the franchise quite honestly. Or even know what it is...

Edited by MovieMan89

I do, the nostalgia fans will watch it this wknd. It'll drop like a brick next week

That's what I don't understand.  I get the nostalgia for the Turtles, I watched the shit out of the original cartoon.  But if I want to relieve that, I'll just go find some old episodes or watch the original movie instead. 

Uh no. I haven't ever met or seen a kid that appeared to have any interest in the franchise quite honestly. Or even know what it was...

The Nickelodeon cartoon apparently averages 12M viewers every week. So plenty of kids obviously know what the franchise is about.

EDIT: Also, the Turtles sold over 750M dollars of merchandise last year. That is in the upper echelon of merchandise sellers with Star Wars and Disney.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3