Fancyarcher

Tuesday Estimates (RTH): TMNT (7.4), GOTG (6.6)

My friday is lower than yours.  I think it will jump by about 55-60%, not 75%.

It might not jump 75% but it's certainly going to have better jump than 55-60%. It jumped over 61% last week so I don't see how it jumps less this Friday. 

• Like 2

I don't think GotG is going to outpace Turtles this weekend. The gap will definitely close, and an outpacing by Labor Day weekend is very likely, but even if GotG drops under 40%, Turtles would need to drop 61%. However, it's pretty likely, IMO, that both will do more than all three openers this weekend. 

Also, yes, both TMNT and GotG are playing well with families, but the key difference is that the former benefitted from a fairly popular cartoon on Nickelodeon, giving them a new influx of young audiences. That, and it's more of a household brand name than the Guardians, which have always been fairly kid friendly.

• Like 1

Naaa...just compare it to years gone by. The jumps are bigger but not that big just yet. http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-08-17&track=batman3.htm

Looking at the Monday before the drops all around seem a but smaller than this past Monday but I see what you mean.I think it should increase more than it did last Friday, though it probably won't hit nearly as high as 70%. Maybe 65%

It might not jump 75% but it's certainly going to have better jump than 55-60%. It jumped over 61% last week so I don't see how it jumps less this Friday. 

TDKR jumped 53% in 2012 on that Friday.  They seem pretty comparable to me. 

Funny thing about my theater (a 16-plex): Next week, it has Guardians and Ninja Turtles each with two screens (no 3D showings at all for either one), but Guardians is still on two of the larger theaters, while Turtles has smaller screens (one of which is tied for the smallest auditorium in the theater - only 94 seats!)

Don't be so adamant about something until you look at the precedent set out by other films.   ;)

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-08-17&track=batman3.htm

• Like 2

The thing about 2012's weekdays that there will be some inconsistencies on is that the Tuesday increases were generally smaller than they are now, and 2012 didn't have the "Summer 2014 Thursday drops of death".

Funny thing about my theater (a 16-plex): Next week, it has Guardians and Ninja Turtles each with two screens (no 3D showings at all for either one), but Guardians is still on two of the larger theaters, while Turtles has smaller screens (one of which is tied for the smallest auditorium in the theater - only 94 seats!)

It seems like the manager does not know what he is doing. I would have split them and gave the last one of each set a big screen with the first one of each set the smaller one.

• Like 1

It seems like the manager does not know what he is doing. I would have split them and gave the last one of each set a big screen with the first one of each set the smaller one.

Maybe, but one must also consider the possibility that maybe Turtles didn't do as well here as it did nationwide?  :ph34r:

Then again, the second largest screen next weekend goes to...wait for it...The Hundred Foot Journey.

Don't be so adamant about something until you look at the precedent set out by other films.   ;)

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-08-17&track=batman3.htm

Let's use TDKR for rest of the week projection

5.29M Wednesday

5.03M Thursday

7.74M Friday

11.03M Saturday

8.25M Sunday

27.01M (-36%) 3rd weekend. I'll take this hold.  ;)  :D

• Like 8

Let's use TDKR for rest of the week projection

5.29M Wednesday

5.03M Thursday

7.74M Friday

11.03M Saturday

8.25M Sunday

27.01M (-36%) 3rd weekend. I'll take this hold.  ;)  :D

There you go....see we can be on the same side sometimes.  :)

• Like 2

Turtles:

Studio research showed that 61% of the audience was male and 55% was over 25

GOTG:

Studio research showed that Star-Lord and company drew a crowd that was very common for this genre, but appeal to women was stronger than usual. 56% of the audience was male and 55% was over 25. 

Maybe, but one must also consider the possibility that maybe Turtles didn't do as well here as it did nationwide?  :ph34r:

Then again, the second largest screen next weekend goes to...wait for it...The Hundred Foot Journey.

It could very well be, all though it being a 16 plex and the TMNT big opening, I doubt it did poorly there. Also if Guardians is still bringing the people, then I am sure TMNT is as well (same audience).