Fancyarcher

Tuesday Estimates (RTH): TMNT (7.4), GOTG (6.6)

Turtles:

Studio research showed that 61% of the audience was male and 55% was over 25

GOTG:

Studio research showed that Star-Lord and company drew a crowd that was very common for this genre, but appeal to women was stronger than usual. 56% of the audience was male and 55% was over 25.

Isn't most of that from the pre-views similar to cinemascore? TMNT haas later pre-screenings thus a higher ratio of older audiences because of how late it was. It's why it had Maleficent type preview numbers and weekend numbers, it played to children.

Turtles:

Studio research showed that 61% of the audience was male and 55% was over 25

GOTG:

Studio research showed that Star-Lord and company drew a crowd that was very common for this genre, but appeal to women was stronger than usual. 56% of the audience was male and 55% was over 25. 

Kids are still only one part of the under 25 set, however. You also have to consider teenagers and people between 18-25, who may have been the ones driving up Guardian's under 25 numbers.

• Like 1

Kids are still only one part of the under 25 set, however. You also have to consider teenagers and people between 18-25, who may have been the ones driving up Guardian's under 25 numbers.

And parents drive up the 25 and older category.

It does seem like the one-two punch of GOTG and Turtles are giving families a good dose of entertainment this summer. Because it really did seem like pickings were a bit slim for that demographic since May, HTTYD/Planes/etc. just not looking appealing for the demo. 

Am I wrong on that? 

To be honest, I heard multiple friends/relatives complain that they had nothing to take children/cousins/nephews/nieces to see in the month of July. Transformers, aside from Dragon, being the only real option. So... Yes, I think both are now reaping the benefit. And, given what's due out this month, will continue to reap reward for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

To be honest, I heard multiple friends/relatives complain that they had nothing to take children/cousins/nephews/nieces to see in the month of July. Transformers, aside from Dragon, being the only real option. So... Yes, I think both are now reaping the benefit. And, given what's due out this month, will continue to reap reward for the foreseeable future.

I'm kind of trying to convince my husband to take the kid with us to GOTG. Because the kid (two-and-a-half year old) loves, LOVES Groot and "Rock-coon" and Gamora. He's also starting to watch some of the Turtles cartoon on Hulu+, but there's only five episodes. I don't think either movies are really age appropriate for him though. And I just don't really want to spend $$$ on Planes LOL! I'd rather wait until the DVD comes to Redbox or the library.

TF4 did okay, but HTTYD? Man, that's a disappointing run for a sequel that's reviewed well to a  beloved movie (at least I thought it was beloved.)

But for families with older kids? Yeah, these movies look super appealing and colorful and bright and have layered humor and writing or nostalgia to appeal to adults as well.  

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 2

Wow , I predicted that GOTG will be huge (just like I did say that TASM2 would crawl to 200 million after it's first weekend ) from May 4th , saying that "GOTG BO performance will shock a lot of people " , in reply to someone about how I am a fanboy and marvel fatigue blahblablah ,and I am from freakin Greece, not being able to experience disney's marketing . Damn the internet has made the world much smaller than it used to be. I think I deserve a cookie.....

• Like 2

Wow , I predicted that GOTG will be huge (just like I did say that TASM2 would crawl to 200 million after it's first weekend ) from May 4th , saying that "GOTG BO performance will shock a lot of people " , in reply to someone about how I am a fanboy and marvel fatigue blahblablah ,and I am from freakin Greece, not being able to experience disney's marketing . Damn the internet has made the world much smaller than it used to be. I think I deserve a cookie.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3