baumer

Early Wed #s RTH

Are there any theaters ONLY carrying GOTG in IMAX anyway? Most IMAX screens are in multiplexes that also have it running on other screens, no?Perhaps GOTG is getting dropped from some smaller 2/3/4-screen theaters to make room for the new releases? I know some theaters still exist like that in smaller towns that don't have enough real estate for a megaplex, or where the theater is part of an old strip mall. Carmike-type venues.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

This definitely answered my question. Thank you. You seem like a cool person, btw. :)

:shy::blush: Thank you too

(I am a very curious person, especially about how things work in general and about other people's/cultures way to see things, their stories)

Are there any theaters ONLY carrying GOTG in IMAX anyway? Most IMAX screens are in multiplexes that also have it running on other screens, no?Perhaps GOTG is getting dropped from some smaller 2/3/4-screen theaters to make room for the new releases? I know some theaters still exist like that in smaller towns that don't have enough real estate for a megaplex, or where the theater is part of an old strip mall. Carmike-type venues.

Could be, maybe they will mention it in an article around the upcoming weekend's results?

• Like 2

So GotG will cross $200m on Friday....probably w/matinee shows only. 

Wish it could've managed it w/Thursday totals but it's week was actually quite good w/TMNT in tow. 

GOTG and DOTPOTA will each pass 200 on Friday, while TMNT will pass 100 on Saturday.

• Like 1

I mentioned this over in the MMPR thread, but look at how ridiculously overcrowded July 2016 is compared to May, June, and August:

May (Details)

Captain America 3 (BV) - 5/6

Universal R-Rated Comedy (Uni.) - 5/13

Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass (BV) - 5/27

X-Men: Apocalypse (Fox) - 5/27

June (Details)

Sausage Party (Sony) - 6/3

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (Par.) - 6/3

Uncharted (Sony) - 6/10

Finding Dory (BV) - 6/17

How to Train Your Dragon 3 (Fox) - 6/17

The Mummy (2016) (Uni.) - 6/24

July (Details)

Angry Birds (Sony) - 7/1

The BFG (BV) - 7/1

Independence Day 2 (Fox) - 7/1

Tarzan (2016) (WB) - 7/1

Marvel Untitled (July 2016) (BV) - 7/8

Ice Age 5 (Fox) - 7/15

Untitled Next Bourne Chapter (Uni.) - 7/15

King Arthur (2016) (WB) - 7/22

Power Rangers (2016) (LGF) - 7/22

Untitled Planet of the Apes (Fox) - 7/29

August (Details)

Untitled DC Film (2016) (WB) - 8/5

Untitled Smurfs Movie (Sony) - 8/5

Something like Power Ranger or maybe even Bourne may be able to find a lot more room to perform in August.

Tarzan or King Arthur need to move to May 13th or 20th (prime release date and Cap 3 isn't Avengers 1 & 2). Power Rangers definitely should hop over to August 12th. Give the new Bourne August 19th. 

May looks great so far - three weeks in between big tentpoles, a kids movie this year, an R rated comedy as counterprogramming to Cap 3. 

June looks good, too... but HTTYD3 needs to be postponed. Sausage Party is looking perfectly positioned, Uncharted and TMNT 2 will both do fine since they don't really target the same audience but TMNT 2 being so close to Alice 2 seems like a recipe for disaster. Finding Dory's the only sure-fire hit for June, so I am hoping something else moves here (why isn't BvS being released here?).

July is awful - Angry Birds, The BFG and Ice Age 5 are all going to eat at the little family audience that's left after Dory. None of them are getting past $150 million DOM. $125 million DOM for any of them (except Ice Age 5) seems risky at this point because 2 of them are on the same weekend. Tarzan and Independence Day 2 can't share the same weekend - they're both tentpoles!!! Independence Day 2 might inch past $200 million DOM while Tarzan will likely bomb where it is. King Arthur and Bourne both will go sub $100 million, too if neither of them offers to move. Planet of the Apes 3 has a good chance of being the top dog of July with how jam-packed it is. 

August is completely empty as usual  :lol: a DC film (smart move by WB - take the GotG slot) and a Smurfs reboot. Move  Power Rangers and Bourne to August - both have the best chance to succeed here. Move The BFG to September/October if it's any good... hoping Spielberg turns in a family hit - could get some Oscar nods. 

April's barren as well. September, too. March is pitch perfect, though. 

March 4th 

Peregine's Home of Pecuilar Animals

Zootopia

March 11th 

Warcraft

Crowd-pleasing comedy (no comedies yet - March is open for the taking. DodgeBall 2, Zoolander 2, an original comedy, etc) 

March 18th

Boss Baby (Fox should just can this - but I know they won't) 

Allegiant Part 1 

March 25th

Christ the Lord

Batman vs. Superman - Dawn of Justice 

April 1st

Beverly Hills Cop 4

April 8th 

Clifford the Big Red Dog 

King Arthur 

April 15th 

The Best Man Wedding

April 22nd 

The Huntsman 

April 29th

Crowd-pleasing romantic comedy (perfect counterprogramming for Cap 3) 

May 6th

Cap 3

May 13th

Untitled R-rated comedy 

Adult-focused drama 

May 20th

Tarzan 

May 27th

Through the Looking Glass

X-Men: Apocalypse 

June 3rd

Sausage Party

TMNT 2

June 10th

Uncharted 

Some female/adult counterprogramming (drama or musical) 

June 17th 

Finding Dory

June 24th

The Mummy

Crowd-pleasing comedy 

July 1st

Angry Birds (this should be cancelled, but sadly it's going to remain) 

Independence Day 2 

July 8th

Doctor Strange 

Adult/female counterprogramming

July 15th

Ice Age 5

Low-budget horror film 

July 22nd 

Planet of the Apes 3 

R-rated comedy 

July 29th 

Untitled DC film 

counterprogramming 

August 5th

Smurfs reboot

Bourne 5

August 12th

Power Rangers 

Crowd-pleasing Oscar bait drama 

August 19th

Crowd-pleasing R rated comedy

Low-budget horror film 

August 26th 

Ninjago 

Mid-level action film 

September 2nd 

Low-budget thriller

Oscar bait drama 

September 9th

New Line horror

September 16th

A Monster Calls

September 23rd

Popeye

September 30th

Oscar bait drama 

Action thriller 

Granted, I don't know whether WB would move Ninjago to August 26th or not... or even the titles of the mid-level releases for summer 2016 but they could definitely stand to do a lot more with spreading out the schedule yearround 

• Like 2

BoxOffice @BoxOffice 1 hr

Sony will open WHEN THE GAME STANDS TALL in an estimated 2,600 theaters next week. #WhenTheGameStandsTall

Variety

Amanda Drury @MandyCNBC 31 mins

Saw #GuardiansOfTheGalaxy last night, and liked Rocket & Groot best. I take back all the talking raccoon jokes I made.

???? Who is she

News or commentary?

WB is essentially changing the title of 'Edge of Tomorrow' for the Blu-ray release.

Tyler Foster @tylerfdvdtalk 18 mins

Just a heads up guys, Edge of Tomorrow is called Live Die Repeat now.

The Film Stage @TheFilmStage 13 mins

In iTunes, the film is *actually* called 'Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow.' #wut

Peter S. Hall @PeterSHall 5 mins

They're not renaming EDGE OF TOMORROW, they're just blowing up the tagline. Home video press release explicitly calls it EDGE OF TOMORROW.

That name-change might get interesting to watch DVDs... sales numbers for

=> things like that also of interest for you all?

If its the weong place, where else?

Edited by terrestrial

Maybe this is just a one off.  You can't take one summer and disregard the past 40 and say,"See, times are changing."

Granted, most years don't have a decent tentpole slated for August, but when the studios bother to put some good films there (2007 - Bourne Ultimatum, Rush Hour 3, Superbad. 2009 - District 9, Inglorious Basterds, Julie and Julia... even G.I. Joe looked like a fun guilty pleasure tentpole. 2011 - Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Help. 2013 - We're the Millers, The Butler. 2014 - GotG, TMNT, potentially LBC), films can do just fine in August. 2003 is an especially potent example. 

S.W.A.T - $158 million DOM

Freaky Friday - $149 million DOM 

American Wedding - $141 million DOM

Freddy vs. Jason - $111 million DOM 

Three of those were pretty mediocre, but marketing got them to $100 million+. If Hollywood didn't treat the off-season months (January, February, arguably March, April, September, October) as dumping grounds for their worst films and the spring for Oscar frontrunners, maybe we'd see ticket sales increase a little since 1) competition wouldn't be targeting the same audiences week after week, 2) there'd be studio films worth seeing yearround rather than only half the year, and 3) balancing the schedule would provide better returns overall

So many people I know complain about just how many major movies are released in the 3 month summer span (since August is usually for July holdovers and a mid-level comedy breakout... very rarely will a decent blockbuster get slated for August) and also how little there is to see during the other half of the year (November/December are almost just right - not too many tentpoles, but not too few. The mid-level, non-Oscar bait releases just need to do better. 

Power Rangers and Bourne (without Matt Damon) are mid-tier franchises - no reason to put them in the heart of summer when August is completely barren and September has nothing except Ninjago. 

• Like 2

Me too. Early contracts? I remember to have read about some behind-the-scene ... I don't know the word.~ discussions about who gets what and when in connection with the actual movies

I think RTH had given some industry background info on how this works. I will try to find his post. :)
  • Like 1

I think RTH had given some industry background info on how this works. I will try to find his post. :)

That would be really great. I do know a few things, but more about international details, I want to learn now more in-depth about US details too

Box Office Mojo @boxofficemojo 9 mins

Forecast: 'The Expendables 3' set to battle 'Ninja Turtles' and 'Guardians' this weekend... http://bit.ly/1rxTAE1 

BOM forecast:

Forecast (August 15-17)
1. Ninja Turtles - $26.2 million (-60%)
2. Guardians - $24.9 million (-41%)
3. Expendables 3 - $24 million
4. Let's Be Cops - $17 million ($26 million 5-day)
5. The Giver - $16.5 million