baumer

Early Wed #s RTH

Anita Busch @DeadlineAnita 4 mins

‘Let’s Be Cops’ Opens To $3.95M In First Day, Cume Now $5.2M http://dlvr.it/6cPZH4

UPDATED, Thursday, 7:50 AM: Let’s Be Cops had an estimated first day showing of around $3.95M yesterday on 2,936 runs to bring its total cume to around $5.2M as it heads into its three-day weekend. It will face stiff competition with the holdover Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the newcomer Expendables 3 which opens tonight at 7 PM. The comedy from Fox could end up at at around $25M (or higher) for the three-day. More to come later in my Box Office Preview as more tracking information becomes available. But right now, the Turtles is running ahead of it as it made $5M last night, followed by Guardians of the Galaxy with around $4.85M. But Expendables 3 with that cast of heavies has yet to bow. It will be an interesting race for the No. 1 crown this weekend.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 5

@narniadis

Not sure, might have to do with the time the showings started?

What time is now the limit?

In same list a few years back it was, depending on the year and country... between 20:00 and 22:00 o'clock, now I see also 19:00 o'clock

I see also a lot of criticism by pros and fans about that

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

LOL at all the August movies over performing. Love it! At least this might have studios spreading out their movies more, so it's not just MAY MAY MAY (and June/July) getting all the "love".

I'm going with Sin City to breakout next. The Giver, well… I guess Streep could help it? IDK.

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 2

LOL at all the August movies over performing. Love it! At least this might have studios spreading out their movies more, so it's not just MAY MAY MAY (and June/July) getting all the "love".

I mentioned this over in the MMPR thread, but look at how ridiculously overcrowded July 2016 is compared to May, June, and August:

May (Details)

Captain America 3 (BV) - 5/6

Universal R-Rated Comedy (Uni.) - 5/13

Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass (BV) - 5/27

X-Men: Apocalypse (Fox) - 5/27

June (Details)

Sausage Party (Sony) - 6/3

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (Par.) - 6/3

Uncharted (Sony) - 6/10

Finding Dory (BV) - 6/17

How to Train Your Dragon 3 (Fox) - 6/17

The Mummy (2016) (Uni.) - 6/24

July (Details)

Angry Birds (Sony) - 7/1

The BFG (BV) - 7/1

Independence Day 2 (Fox) - 7/1

Tarzan (2016) (WB) - 7/1

Marvel Untitled (July 2016) (BV) - 7/8

Ice Age 5 (Fox) - 7/15

Untitled Next Bourne Chapter (Uni.) - 7/15

King Arthur (2016) (WB) - 7/22

Power Rangers (2016) (LGF) - 7/22

Untitled Planet of the Apes (Fox) - 7/29

August (Details)

Untitled DC Film (2016) (WB) - 8/5

Untitled Smurfs Movie (Sony) - 8/5

Something like Power Ranger or maybe even Bourne may be able to find a lot more room to perform in August.

• Like 1

Let's Be Cops is going to make money. Audience was pretty crowded and very enthusiastic tonight.

My friends said that that movie was the most unfunny movie they ve ever seen in their entire lives. They did love 22 & neighbors tho.

Expendables 3 isn't playing in my theater this weekend, neither is Boyhood. Looks like I'll be seeing just Ninja Turtles.

5.2M cume to date. If it musters 3.1M today, that's 8.3 going into the weekend.

With that #, I could see an OW in the high teens, low 20s. Ninja Turtles and Guardians both in the mid to high 20's, and Expendables in the low 20s, with the Giver in the mid-teens. This is going to be a very interesting weekend.

I mentioned this over in the MMPR thread, but look at how ridiculously overcrowded July 2016 is compared to May, June, and August:

May (Details)

Captain America 3 (BV) - 5/6

Universal R-Rated Comedy (Uni.) - 5/13

Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass (BV) - 5/27

X-Men: Apocalypse (Fox) - 5/27

June (Details)

Sausage Party (Sony) - 6/3

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (Par.) - 6/3

Uncharted (Sony) - 6/10

Finding Dory (BV) - 6/17

How to Train Your Dragon 3 (Fox) - 6/17

The Mummy (2016) (Uni.) - 6/24

July (Details)

Angry Birds (Sony) - 7/1

The BFG (BV) - 7/1

Independence Day 2 (Fox) - 7/1

Tarzan (2016) (WB) - 7/1

Marvel Untitled (July 2016) (BV) - 7/8

Ice Age 5 (Fox) - 7/15

Untitled Next Bourne Chapter (Uni.) - 7/15

King Arthur (2016) (WB) - 7/22

Power Rangers (2016) (LGF) - 7/22

Untitled Planet of the Apes (Fox) - 7/29

August (Details)

Untitled DC Film (2016) (WB) - 8/5

Untitled Smurfs Movie (Sony) - 8/5

Something like Power Ranger or maybe even Bourne may be able to find a lot more room to perform in August.

DW's really going for it with HTTYD 3, aren't they?

Jesus… that July is horrible. Something will give, I doubt there will be all those movies piled on top of each other though. Hopefully, they put some in April (I know BvS will be opening in March, but mid-April around the Easter holiday could be a good week for a family movie…) or spread out more throughout August/Sept.

• Like 1