Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

WW doesn’t strike me as being particularly ridiculous. 

I agree.

I mean, all superhero stories could be revisited and perceived as inherently ridiculous. It's part of the genre: a demigoddess  from a race of female warriors becoming a superhero is not any more "ridiculous" than a teenager getting spider-powers because a radioactive spider bit him or an alcoholic millionaire creating a super-armor that lets him breathe in space, withstand blows from the Hulk, and shoot energy blasts from his hands.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think the whole Big meets superheroes will be very appealing to the younger demo and in a way, going smaller might be an advantage 

My assumption is that because New Line is handling it that would be WB's least expensive Superhero movie to date. I could be wrong though. 

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

No DCEU film has made under 650mil worlwide. Lets see if Shazam can continue that streak.

Very true, but Shazam is cheaper than any of them. In fact, Shazam and Joker combined are probably cheaper than Aquaman; Warner has zero pressure for their DC movies next year.

But it also means Shazam could very well end up last at the box office. It should do well in the US but it is unclear if the teen comedy aspect will translate anywhere else.

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

No DCEU film has made under 650mil worlwide. Lets see if Shazam can continue that streak. My assumption is that it can. People seemed to really like the comic con trailer. Even people who didn't like Aquaman's trailer. 

Still have doubts on how the brand of humor/tone will translate OS.

My assumption is that because New Line is handling it that would be WB's least expensive Superhero movie to date. I could be wrong though. 

I imagine it'll cost the same as Rampage at most but it might be it's closer to WW's budget at $149m.

New Line do tend to do less expensive movies than WB but they are exceptions like The Hobbit trilogy and also Jack the Giant Slayer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Very true, but Shazam is cheaper than any of them. In fact, Shazam and Joker combined are probably cheaper than Aquaman; Warner has zero pressure for their DC movies next year.

But it also means Shazam could very well end up last at the box office. It should do well in the US but it is unclear if the teen comedy aspect will translate anywhere else.

Or it could pull a Wonder Woman or Aquaman,  you never know. The marketing is going to be really important.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Still have doubts on how the brand of humor/tone will translate OS.

I think the fact that it will play family-friendly and have very much a wish fulfillment "kid-as-Superman" plot should offset some of the issues there.

Still don't think it will do much more than 550 WW (200 +/-10 domestically and the rest overseas). I expect it will be extremely down on Aquaman on Asian markets, but might do well in Western ones.

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yeah, between this and Joker, DC might not have gigantic, eye-catching box office numbers, but they should be EXTREMELY profitable. 

Or it could pull a Wonder Woman or Aquaman,  you never know. The marketing is going to be really important.

To be fair, WW didn't set the world on fire internationally - respectable for a superhero movie, sure, but nothing monumental. Aquaman would also be very respectable, but China turned it into something more spectacular. Can't see Shazam repeating that there, as it lacks the visual punch that AQM did (among other factors that helped AQM in the Middle Kingdom). If it DOES somehow break out in Asia, then the playing field with Marvel will be leveling out and it will make for exciting box office battles (I look forward to steering the fuck away from the franchise war thread)

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Is New Gods supposed to be a big project like Man of Steel, BvS or Aquaman ?

Don't see how it could be small scale unless they went full on comedy and reinterpreted everything.

I think the only way to go is embrace the insanity and do Aquaman on steroids, visually-speaking. Looking at A Wrinkle in Time isn't necessarily encouraging vis-a-vis Ava DuVernay, but we'll see (if it actually gets made)

• Like 1

The first teaser of Shazam had a great buzz, has a number of views similar to the first Aquaman trailer (which is the most viewed), and bigger than any trailers of Wonder Woman, and  teaser also had a good reception.

Of course I do not think Shazam will be big as Aquaman OS (which will make $650m +), but if the film has a good reception, I can see Shazam make $400m OS easily.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I think the more surreal superhero movies will breakout and I feel this one will too but it’s not the best scheduling wise as it is packed between CM and Endgame.

$80M/$260M/$670M

Thinking similar numbers. Justice League will stay at the bottom of the list forever.