Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

7 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Nobody reads metacritc. At least not enough people for it to matter. Jumanji had much worst reviews than Star Wars last year and which one did audiences like more? Jumanji is the answer. 

Dumping that dopey dark n gritty mope fest 3000 style will be the best thing that WB ever did with regards to the DC films. That tone is fine for lower budgeted side projects but it's awful for their mainstream projects. Also WB should start aggressively going after women from now on. 

I disagree about ditching the tone. DC had the chance to be the serious dark and gritty comic book universe whilst marvel gave us their light hearted take. The problem was their movies were just bad. There's a reason TDK is deemed the best comic book movie of all time, id rather they try replicating that success than continue to copy marvel 

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

I disagree about ditching the tone. DC had the chance to be the serious dark and gritty comic book universe whilst marvel gave us their light hearted take. The problem was their movies were just bad. There's a reason TDK is deemed the best comic book movie of all time, id rather they try replicating that success than continue to copy marvel 

Marvel doesn't own comedy, I don't know what you mean by replicating Marvel's style. WB tried to chase the TDK dragon and failed, why should they keep doing that? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Marvel doesn't own comedy, I don't know what you mean by replicating Marvel's style. WB tried to chase the TDK dragon and failed, why should they keep doing that? 

Making movies that fit the characters tone should and have always been the best way. Obviously not many people would want a campy/funny Batman Film. But a super serious and dark Aquaman or Flash film doesn’t work

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Steele131 said:

But a super serious and dark Aquaman or Flash film doesn’t work

Can work just need proper execution. 

See Flashpoint/Throne of Atlantis movie for reference but that would be Logan-TDK territory (DoFP Xmen tone fits good in here)

17 minutes ago, Steele131 said:

Making movies that fit the characters tone should and have always been the best way. Obviously not many people would want a campy/funny Batman Film. But a super serious and dark Aquaman or Flash film doesn’t work

I don't disagree. I'll add that letting actors have some fun in these roles no matter the tone is a must.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How can you not know what I mean? Ever since Avengers took off DC have copied the marvel template by trying to add more humour. Wonder woman was a copy of Cap 1 and Aquaman was basically Thor. Dc's two well received movies were complete copies 

14 minutes ago, Jessie said:

How can you not know what I mean? Ever since Avengers took off DC have copied the marvel template by trying to add more humour. Wonder woman was a copy of Cap 1 and Aquaman was basically Thor. Dc's two well received movies were complete copies 

Except for a world war setting (which is not uncommon for superheroes that have been around so long) there is little similarity between Wonder Woman and Captain America. 

There is more common DNA between Aquaman and Thor, due to the sibling rivalry point, but then I think Black Panther is a more apt comparison, given the direct "fight to claim the throne" plot points. Though that is such a classic theme, Marvel can hardly claim it as theirs. Not to mention that Aquaman draws just as much, if not more, inspiration from Arthurian legend and Indiana Jones - it's a mash of styles, plots and other movies, including, yes, some inspiration from Thor in the way the character is brought to the screen. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Except for a world war setting (which is not uncommon for superheroes that have been around so long) there is little similarity between Wonder Woman and Captain America. 

There is more common DNA between Aquaman and Thor, due to the sibling rivalry point, but then I think Black Panther is a more apt comparison, given the direct "fight to claim the throne" plot points. Though that is such a classic theme, Marvel can hardly claim it as theirs. Not to mention that Aquaman draws just as much, if not more, inspiration from Arthurian legend and Indiana Jones - it's a mash of styles, plots and other movies, including, yes, some inspiration from Thor in the way the character is brought to the screen. 

Wonder woman was a world war setting about a god like creature that wanted world domination by using futuristic weaponry created by one of his minions who later on had a change of heart. Meanwhile the main hero teams up with other soldiers in a bar which were used for comic relief. By the end of the movie all this weaponry was loaded on a plane ready to destroy most of the world however a guy named Steve made the ultimate sacrifice by crashing the place and saving the day. WW was very similar to Cap 1

Dc copied marvel by trying to rush a cinematic universe and personally I'd rather them focus in the individual characters like the good ol days and just let marvel do their shared universe.

Edited by Jessie

14 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Wonder woman was a world war setting about a god like creature that wanted world domination by using futuristic weaponry created by one of his minions who later on had a change of heart. Meanwhile the main hero teams up with other soldiers in a bar which were used for comic relief. By the end of the movie all this weaponry was loaded on a plane ready to destroy most of the world however a guy named Steve made the ultimate sacrifice by crashing the place and saving the day. WW was very similar to Cap 1

😂😂

I'm sorry, but that is beyond silly. Those are a handful of story beats, some of them extremely vague, which you can pull for a lot of movies to point similarities. And STEVE?! Seriously? Steve Trevor was first introduced in 1941. His first appearance is him crashing his plane on Paradise Island. During WW2. Wonder Woman went out of its way to go with WW1 instead of 2, just to avoid being too similar to Captain America, even though they would have been fully justified to actually do the story that is canonical to the comics. So, really...stop reaching. Purely superficial similarities do not a copy make. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

😂😂

I'm sorry, but that is beyond silly. Those are a handful of story beats, some of them extremely vague, which you can pull for a lot of movies to point similarities. And STEVE?! Seriously? Steve Trevor was first introduced in 1941. His first appearance is him crashing his plane on Paradise Island. During WW2. Wonder Woman went out of its way to go with WW1 instead of 2, just to avoid being too similar to Captain America, even though they would have been fully justified to actually do the story that is canonical to the comics. So, really...stop reaching. Purely superficial similarities do not a copy make. 

Im not reaching, just sharing my opinion. Its one of the reasons my friends and I didn't care too much for WW, it reminded us far too much of Cap 1. You don't have to share the same opinion as me, it's good that you don't and allows you to enjoy it more. I also like 90% of the superhero movie goers don't read comics so I only have the movies to compare them to

I just think DC could have really nailed their movies with the original tone they took. The tone was never the problem, all their gritty movies opened huge because people were on-board with the tone they took and showed in the trailers hence why MOS, BVS and SS opened so huge, it was just the execution that let the movies down, if they genuinely had great stories and scripts they would have been massive and the tone will have continued, thats all I'm getting at here.

Edited by Jessie

10 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Wonder Woman had plenty of humor in it as should such a ridiculous premise. Certainly it was more serious than Aquaman just like Black Panther and Winter Solider are more serious than Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok. 

WW doesn’t strike me as being particularly ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

WW doesn’t strike me as being particularly ridiculous. 

That notion probably comes from how grounded everything feels in the second act and WW2 setting until it dives back into the mythology aspect in the last act. In reality, its fantasy elements are still pretty mild compared to the bulk of CBM's out there.