iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

#94: The Sword in the Stone (1963) - 120 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
The wizard Merlin teaches a young boy who is destined to be King Arthur.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Sword in the Stone is one of four films in the Top 100 that were released in the 1960s. There's a surprisingly large number of older films on this list, IMO.

IMDB trivia:
Although Walt Disney never knew it, he himself was character designer Bill Peet's model for Merlin. Peet saw them both as argumentative, cantankerous, playful and very intelligent. Peet also gave Merlin Walt's nose.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 15

#93: The Illusionist (2010) - 120 Points

Country of origin: France
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A French illusionist finds himself out of work and travels to Scotland, where he meets a young woman. Their ensuing adventure changes both their lives forever.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Illusionist is one of three (non-Japanese) foreign language films to appear on the list.

IMDB trivia:
Setting of Tati's original script was Prague, but Sylvain Chomet moved it to Edinburgh, where he lives and has his animation studio.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 12

*Disclaimer: due to my unfamiliarity with this film, I didn't include 12 points under "Belleville Rendez Vous" for its score total, so it should actually be in position 86 with 133 points. Too late to change everything now, but for fans of this movie you can take solace in the fact that it should have ranked 6 spots higher than this, sorry*

#92: The Triplets of Belleville (2003) - 121 Points

Country of origin: France
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
When her grandson is kidnapped during the Tour de France, Madame Souza and her beloved pooch Bruno team up with the Belleville Sisters--an aged song-and-dance team from the days of Fred Astaire--to rescue him.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The second (non-Japanese) foreign language film to appear on the list. Also from France, and also from the same director (Sylvain Chomet) as The Illusionist which placed in position #94. Only 1 point separated these two films in fact. 

IMDB trivia:
Among the anti-Disney riffs in the film are a Mickey-shaped turd in a toilet, and a wallet-picture of a character in Disneyland with a lollipop that says SUCKER.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 13

#91: An American Tail (1986) - 124 Points

Country of origin: USA (Amblin Entertainment)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
When her grandson is kidnapped during the Tour de France, Madame Souza and her beloved While emigrating to the United States, a young Russian mouse gets separated from his family and must relocate them while trying to survive in a new country.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Its 12.4 score average is the third lowest in the Top 100. To recap, the lowest was Bolt with 8.6, then The Sword in the Stone with 12.0.

IMDB trivia:
Fievel was the name of Steven Spielberg's grandfather.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 15

#90: Happy Feet (2006) - 124 Points

Country of origin: USA (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Into the world of the Emperor Penguins, who find their soul mates through song, a penguin is born who cannot sing. But he can tap dance something fierce!

Iceroll's list trivia:
Happy Feet is the highest grossing film on the list so far. Its $198,000,317 gross (ouch so close to 200) will not be beat until the film in position #79 comes along.

IMDB trivia:
Brittany Murphy, Hugh Jackman, Robin Williams and Nicole Kidman all do their own singing.

(Rest in peace Brittany Murphy and Robin Williams. Pretty tragic end for some of the voice actors in this film)

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 13

So let me get this straight. Brother Bear beat Ghost in the Shell, Yellow Submarine, the collective filmographies of Mamoru Hosoda, Satoshi Kon and very nearly Don Bluth and several Miyazaki classics? Brother fucking Bear?!God, I am going to hate this list aren't I?

• Like 4

So let me get this straight. Brother Bear beat Ghost in the Shell, Yellow Submarine, the collective filmographies of Mamoru Hosoda, Satoshi Kon and very nearly Don Bluth and several Miyazaki classics? Brother fucking Bear?!God, I am going to hate this list aren't I?

I'm rooting for Frozen to win it all just for you, babe. :)

• Like 1

So, on the public lists, Frozen is #1 on 2 lists and #2 also on 2 lists. On most other lists it's out of the top 10 so I don't think it will be enough to get it to first place. Hopefully it won't get to the top 10.

I didn't put it on my list :P

• Like 2