eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  44sGUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY earned an estimated $4.83M on Friday. Domestic total stands at $239.1M. #GOTG #GuardiansOfTheGalaxyBoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  1mIF I STAY earned an estimated $6.83M on Friday. #IfIStayExpand  Reply  Retwee

Massive jump for GOTG. Down only 30% from last Friday. It's going to be close but I think it beats IIS for number 1 for the weekend. With Labor Day weekend coming up, GOTG should be around 276M so missing 300M looks very unlikely now. Summer might have sucked but GOTG has done one hell of a job saving it.  :D

• Like 8

UPDATED, Saturday, 7:52 AM: The positions are clearer this AM but the dog days of summer have arrived and it’s not pretty: Of the three lifeless newcomers, the YA adaptation starring Chole Grace Moretz If I Stay (Warner Bros./MGM) had the best opening of the bunch with a $6.8M Fri. night for a three-day expected around $16.5M and looks to place No. 2.  It is a completely young female-driven gross. Rising back to the top in this soft market is Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy which had a lower Friday but will end up with a $17.5M to $17.7M three-day weekend. With a strong multiple already and a critical favorite, the Star Lord has cumed $252M+ in four weeks of release. Paramount’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is No. 3 at the moment for around $16M or a three-week cume of $144.8M as it should get a slight boost from family audiences today (as will Guardians).

http://deadline.com/2014/08/box-office-friday-if-i-stay-to-take-no-1-sin-city-2-tanking-in-dog-days-of-summer-823607/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 1

BoxOffice @BoxOffice 2 mins

THE EXPENDABLES 3 earned an estimated $1.87M on Friday. Domestic total stands at $22.8M. #TheExpendables3

BoxOffice @BoxOffice 1 min

LET'S BE COPS earned an estimated $3.23M on Friday. Domestic total stands at $37.5M. #LetsBeCops

• Like 1

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  8mTEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES earned an estimated $4.54M on Friday. Domestic total stands at $133.3M. #TMNT #TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1

Forbes

The last major weekend of summer starts with a whimper, as If I Stay opens a little soft while Sin City: A Dame to Kill For outright bombs.

If I Stay,.....

The picture earned $6.8 million on its first Friday, including a $1.1m Thursday gross.

Yes, that’s obviously quite a bit less than the $26m opening day of The Fault in Our Stars, but that’s a bit like complaining that Divergent didn’t open as well as The Hunger Games. It’s a soft debut for a small-scale entry, with a probable $17m debut weekend on tap, and I imagine the whole “kids going back to school” thing softened the opening just enough to keep it under $20m. The film earned mixed notices but everyone praised Ms. Moretz and it’s beyond refreshing to see young actresses still getting meaty starring vehicles even after they have aged into the “girlfriend/hostage box.”......

The next big opener isn’t Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, but rather Sony’s (Sony Corp.) “faith-based” sports drama When the Game Stands Tall. The $15 million football saga stars James Caviezel, Alexander Ludwig, Laura Dern, and Michael Chiklis and was produced by Affirm Films, which brought you the likes of Fire ProofFacing the Giants, and Soul Surfer. As such, a $3m Friday is unremarkable without being catastrophic as the film hopes for a $10m debut haul......

In holdover news, Guardians of the Galaxy earned $4.83 million on its fourth Friday, down just 32% from last Friday and now with a $239m cume. The Walt Disney/Marvel adventure should earn around $17m, which means it may top the charts by tomorrow. It should surpass the $243m domestic gross of Transformers: Age of Extinction to become summer’s biggest grosser by Sunday and should pass Captain America: The Winter Soldier‘s $257m gross to top all of 2014 sometime next week. Paramount’s (Viacom Inc.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is holding up pretty well too, earning $4.5m on its third Friday, down 44% from last Friday. The Michael Bay-produced reboot should earn around $15.5m for the weekend. More importantly, it should pass the $135m domestic cume of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) by today. 20th Century Fox’s Lets Be Cops earned about $4m on its second Friday on course for a $12m second weekend (-44%) and a new $44m 12-day cume for the $17m comedy.

The third new release is Weinstein/Dimension’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. The sequel comes nine years after the first Sin City, and it was clearly much too late. The Robert Rodriguez picture, which stars the likes of Eva Green, Josh Brolin, Jessica Alba, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, opened with an outright sad $2.62m Friday, setting the stage for a $7m (at best) debut weekend.........

and so on

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/08/23/box-office-if-i-stay-opens-soft-sin-city-2-bombs-on-soft-friday/

• Like 1

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  44sGUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY earned an estimated $4.83M on Friday. Domestic total stands at $239.1M. #GOTG #GuardiansOfTheGalaxyBoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  1mIF I STAY earned an estimated $6.83M on Friday. #IfIStayExpand  Reply  Retwee

Almost an 88% jump for GotG.  So a 7.2+ Saturday and 5.4 Sunday.  About a 17.5 weekend.  

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  51sTHE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY earned an estimated $1.6M on Friday. Domestic total stands at $28.8M. #TheHundredFootJourney

Even more impressive.. +92% from Thursday and only a -22% drop from last Friday.  

• Like 1